Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

has any body tried ?

• RMweb Gold

I have an ironing board that's been used to support both Porth Byhan & Laterite & Co - but as these are boxfile layouts they just sit on top, rather than being fixed.

Brian Harrap did the same with his ZOB layout at Taunton this year.

An ironing board with a layout fixed on might be a bit unwieldly to carry safely, but as a set of legs they are superb, very quick to erect and put down, and height ajustable too.

There was a 009 layout, 'Briding Noora' (get it?) built on an ironing board about ten years ago. It went to exhibitions, I saw it in York. As it happens I have the write-up from Railway Modeller if you're interested.

I'm inclined to agree with Stubby that using a normal ironing board as a baseboard would be a bit unwieldy. However, in a corner of a cupboard downstairs we have a table-top ironing board that might be more suitable. At a quick glance it looks like it's made of MDF and is about 800mm long by 300mm wide and starts tapering from about 450mm. It has two pairs of fold out legs that raise it about 100mm* above the table top.

Nick

* hang on, that's sounds perilously close to one of Stubby's module dimensions...

• RMweb Premium

An ironing board with a layout fixed on might be a bit unwieldly to carry safely, but as a set of legs they are superb, very quick to erect and put down, and height ajustable too.

An ironing board makes a good height for a layout. I would be inclined to look at the 'value' type ironing board sold in the big supermarkets; keep the legs (tubular steel) but make a new baseboard - something with sides deep enough to let the legs fold up inside. This would let you built something lighter and perhaps a better shape. If you did this, the legs could be detachable, for use on subsequent layouts. I agree with Stubby, a complete ironing board with a layout on it would probably be a bit unwieldy.

Like Redgate Models, I saw Chris Trafford's Board Lane at Trowel Church Hall last Feb and quite liked it. Whatever turns you on.

Archived