• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Just a quick update to inform anyone who may be interested;

I'm ceasing all work on this project and concentrating on my German H0 entirely as I'll never get anything done if I keep bitting and bobbing!

So: if anyone would like to take this layout over - FREE! Just send me a quick PM, preferably before this w/e is over, otherwise the breakers yard is callling.

Cheers,

John E.

PS Yes! My insanity knows no bounds!

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Just a quick update to inform anyone who may be interested;

I'm ceasing all work on this project and concentrating on my German H0 entirely as I'll never get anything done if I keep bitting and bobbing!

So: if anyone would like to take this layout over - FREE! Just send me a quick PM, preferably before this w/e is over, otherwise the breakers yard is callling.

Cheers,

John E.

PS Yes! My insanity knows no bounds!

Hi John.

An inevitable and very sensible decision. The P4 project was going to be a lot of work as a stand-alone project, nevermind the H0 you are now concentrating on.

Good luck with all of this - and keep visiting the S&C section!

Best wishes,

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

As a S.W.A.G. probably Leigh in Lancashire.

it would be a shame to see it scrapped, if its local to me and needing moving asap and there is no interest i could collect it and at least store it in my garage as i have no interest/knowledge if P4, maybe put on ebay for charity at a later date or something

• RMweb Gold

Well dent has made the short journey south to crewe, as i say it would have been a shame to see it scrapped so i have stored it in my garage for the time being

I'll be totally honest i probably wont even do anything with it as i dont model in P4 and may well ebay it for charity at a later date

One option considered was resurecting the station section and making a diorama of some sort, the beauty of dent is the buildings can be bought off the shelf thanks to Hornby

To give an idea if the vintage of the layout some of the paper used to form the hills came away while unloading it and it is a copy of the Daily Telegraph from 26th september 1976! (I was 18 months old when it was built!!)

null-36.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all,

As I just posted in "Kirkby Luneside" (surely the most amusing & informative thread on here!?!) - I'm going all festive, what with all these mentions of "Ho, Ho, Ho" - that's just what I'm going back to!

H0, that is!

I hope no-one is too disappointed but it turns out that I simply haven't got the patience to perceiver(?), peersieve(?), persevere(!) with a large P4 layout, single-handedly.

I will keep the P4 faith to a degree, converting stock and maybe, building some too but it will have to run on our club layout, hopefully. I did actually get a nice, noisy, new "Peak" converted and ran it at our club 'social' a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased with it. At some point, I will also build a P4 'plank' and that should help my 4mm career.

However, my main modelling 'love' is actually H0 scale, . . . sometimes US outline, though these days it's mostly German outline that I get really exited about and is what comprises my main stock collection.

A bit far removed from the S&C? (which I still love, of course!)

It is really but I hope some of you may be interested enough to have a look over on my new thread when I get it started - maybe in the new year?

Of course, I will be able to run '00' gauge items on this new layout so green 40's and peaks will still appear, somewhere in Deutschland! And, it will draw from some of the design philosophies from "Kirkby Luneside" (& "Eastwood Town"!), among others.

Cheers,

John E.

Dons tin 'at and ducks for cover!!!

P.S. When I've built up more stock and various trackwork (& other) skills, I will return to this project! (but don't hold your breath!).

Hi John, I have just caught this and I will follow with interest, I operated Hallsdorf (East German HO it was in CM a couple of months back )and belongs to a friend of mine Nick Palett,  It was lovelly, and the joy for me was the little black 0 8 0 with the red chassis. I was tempted with a couple, one of the  0 8 0's and a 4 8 4 tank but I kept my money in my wallet . I modelled German railways in both N and then in HO many years ago but now I was suprised at the way Piko has changed in the intervening years.

Good luck with your venture.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

quick update on the layout.....

basically i've done nothing with it and don't really have the room for it so i have given it to the crewe heritage centre with a view to a couple of members there who model P4 restoring it and putting it on public display in the heritage centre at some point, i dropped it off earlier so they can see what they can do with it

i will try and update with any progress as and when

Archived