If you can't spell, Or more correctly - How to hide the fact that you can't spell.

• RMweb Premium

If you can't spell (and lots of people cannot), you can either use a program such as MS Word, which has a spell check (or LibreOffice Writer is a free alternative), and write your messages in there & run a spell checker (OK they ain't perfect and simply CANNOT pick a wrong word that is correctly spelt). You can then copy the finished text into RMweb.

Alternatively, use (as I do) a free program called WordWeb (http://wordweb.info/), which runs in the background.

If when you think a word may be incorrectly spelt (often we look at a word & it looks wrong, but we're unsure what is wrong with it - at least I do). Highlight the dubious word, open WordWeb and it will tell you the meaning of the word, if correctly spelt. If wrong, it OFTEN suggests the correct word and gives you the option of replacing it. Some examples are "definate" or "missread", try them.

Too easy! The successful bit of this program (WordWeb), is that YOU can choose which words you want to check & get a description so you can double check that the correct word is used - something a spell checker alone can't do.!!!

There, I've let you into my secret!!

If your word is so badly out, that it doesn't recognise it, have another go at spelling it & try again. Or try the alphabetical list of words either side of your 'creation'. Of course, it could be something WordWeb doesn't know about, such as a place name or a layout.

Hope you find this useful.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

If you use Firefox as your browser, it has a built-in spell-checker. It underlines misspelt words in red as you type them, and by right-clicking on the word gives you a list of correct spellings. This works on any web site anywhere, including RMweb.

If it's not working for you, maybe you didn't select the option to install a dictionary when you first installed Firefox. Just go to Tools > Add-Ons and click to install a dictionary in the language of your choice.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kevin,

If you use Firefox as your browser, it has a built-in spell-checker. It underlines misspelt words in red as you type them, and by right-clicking on the word gives you a list of correct spellings. This works on any web site anywhere, including RMweb.

If it's not working for you, maybe you didn't select the option to install a dictionary when you first installed Firefox. Just go to Tools > Add-Ons and click to install a dictionary in the language of your choice.

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin & Simon

I use FireFox and I have reinstalled my dictionary - English (Australian) Dictionary 2.1.2 and re-started. It previously failed due to incompatable version numbers with FF. Its not working still, although I have got 'check spelling as I type' selected.

But from memory, it doesn't give the definition of a word in the same way WordWeb does, which is its huge advantage.

Kevin Martin

Edited to spell FireFox correctly, the 2nd go. KM

The basic way of making yourself understood, on this or any other forum, is to take care when composing a message. Then read it back to yourself before posting. If it does not make sense don't post it.

Use capital letters and punctuation where appropriate.

Personal and place names may not appear in spell checkers but a search on Google will often confirm or provide the correct spelling.

For any post or reply of more than a few lines I use a word processor to compile my thoughts, leave it overnight to mature, read it through, spell check it, and when it looks Kosher I copy and paste it as plain text into RMWeb.

Besides preventing errors in spelling, grammar or factual accuracy it can save losing a long text when uploading to RMWeb which has happened to me a few times.

For checking use of similar words I refer to 'Usage and Abusage' by Eric Partridge.

There is a similarly entitled book by Fowler but I cannot put my hand on it.

For correct punctuation, I use 'You Have A Point There' by Eric Partridge.

I also use 'Plain English a user's guide' by Philip Davies Roberts.

When you publish something and get charged 50 quid a word for corrections at repro stage, it sharpens your writing no end.

If I write on the fly in RMWeb and it gets involved, I copy to clipboard often and paste it into a wordprocessor in case something goes haywire.

• RMweb Gold

For a quick 'as-you-type' method, (when using I.E.) I just type in the word (or part of it) into the Google search box at the top and it mostly spells it out in the drop-down box correctly, and on you go...

• RMweb Premium

And learn the difference between:

your and you're and even you've

there and their

where and were

weather and whether

And the latest one to wind me up, the verb 'of'. As in "should of" or "could of". Presumably it is declined as "I of, you of, he or she ofs"

I despair.

David

Another one is use the more reply options when composing a post for Rmweb and then using the preview post option. It will be a surprise how you pick up bits that you have got wrong while you are typing. Some times I recompose a message two or three times before I'm happy with it.

OzzyO.

PS. and still manage to end up putting a PS. on it.

The guidance section in the Forum Rules simply states:

Do use a spell checker before you post your contribution if you have a problem with spelling, or type out your contribution in a word processing program, check the grammar and spelling, then copy and paste it into the forum reply window.

Additional tips in this topic to support that are welcome, but let's not get into rants about our own personal pet hates on this subject please, a direction that one or two posts seem to be heading in.

• RMweb Premium

but let's not get into rants about our own personal pet hates on this subject please, a direction that one or two posts seem to be heading in.

Guilty as charged, m'lud :blush:

I am dislexit so whenthese programs tell e have have got it wrong then gives me a list to put it right i do not see the diffrence between the words in the list & the one i had put so i can not use them but need to have some one to read it ti make sure i have spelled thinggs right

I am dislexit so whenthese programs tell e have have got it wrong then gives me a list to put it right i do not see the diffrence between the words in the list & the one i had put so i can not use them but need to have some one to read it ti make sure i have spelled thinggs right

Hello Brian,

a friend of mine has the same problem and she finds a blue filter over the computer monitor helps. But it will all depend on which type of dyslexia you suffer from.

OzzyO.

It is not simply a question of spelling, the illiteracy shines through by a complete lack of understanding of the syntax and structure of the language.

For example putting "your" when you mean "you are" (you're) simply shows a lack of what you are trying to convey with language. After at least 11 years of formal education that is a very sad sate of affaires. That has nothing to do with Dyslexia.

It is not simply a question of spelling, the illiteracy shines through by a complete lack of understanding of the syntax and structure of the language.

For example putting "your" when you mean "you are" (you're) simply shows a lack of what you are trying to convey with language. After at least 11 years of formal education that is a very sad sate of affaires. That has nothing to do with Dyslexia.

I see even 11 years of education doesn't make any of us perfect, so I guess we all need to tread carefully before criticising others.....

sounds a bit like people living in glasshouses and bricks to me.

Archived