Milk Depot - Uttoxerer

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to find any information regarding the dairy at Uttoxeter station in the 50/60s.

I remember there being a siding (or two) of the Stoke/Derby line which I think cut across the roadway to the the Dairy which was adjacent to the station.

I can remember Milk tankers in the siding

Any pictures or track plan would be most helpfull.

Terry

There are 1:2500 maps for 1922 and 1937 here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html . Described as a "cheese factory" or "condensed milk factory" depending upon which map you look at.

There is certainly one photo on the site recommended in the above post featuring what looks like a dairy/milk train - tankers and a full brake in a 1950 view towards the station and mentioning "the cheese factory on the right"

• RMweb Premium

There are 1:2500 maps for 1922 and 1937 here http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html . Described as a "cheese factory" or "condensed milk factory" depending upon which map you look at.

There is certainly one photo on the site recommended in the above post featuring what looks like a dairy/milk train - tankers and a full brake in a 1950 view towards the station and mentioning "the cheese factory on the right"

Well I was not dreaming about the dairy

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Nobody got any ideas where I may find a detailed station track plan that shows the sidi.ngs used for the dairy.

• RMweb Premium

Only thing I can think of is the local studies library for Uttoxeter and ask for the old detailed OS maps for the area you want. I forget the scale but it is the one with every house and detail on it. We are using them for the club layout of Duffield. we also looked at them for building Derby Friargate, they showed every siding along the route from the station to the engine shed on Slack lane (We changed our minds and built Duffield instead)Try PM'ing Poor Old Bruce on here. He may be able to advise you better as he was the one who obtained them for our layout.

http://www.search.staffspasttrack.org.uk/engine/theme/default.asp?theme=413&originator=%2Fengine%2Ftheme%2Fdefault.asp&page=3&records=30&direction=1&pointer=21141&text=0

Closed in Jan 1985, it was Dairy Crest by then, prior to that Unigate. Pictures of Uttoxeter seem to be quite rare, there`s a couple in Foxlines Ashbourne to Buxton volume, nothing of the dairy though. I`ll keep looking all the same.

The National Railway Museum holds undated large scale track plans for Uttoxeter from the former BR/OPC Collection under references 20518, 22386-9

Although I haven't seen the book,

North Staffordshire Wagons by G.F. Chadwick (Wild

Swan) contains at least one image of Uttoxeter, but beware the description of a GER van as a Butter Van - it isn't!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

The National Railway Museum holds undated large scale track plans for Uttoxeter from the former BR/OPC Collection under references 20518, 22386-9

Although I haven't seen the book,

North Staffordshire Wagons by G.F. Chadwick (Wild

Swan) contains at least one image of Uttoxeter, but beware the description of a GER van as a Butter Van - it isn't!

Andy

Cheers

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many thanks I think I will pop into Uttoxeter and do a bit go digging .

I will keep you posted

Terry

Any updates yet Terry? Did you get to see the OS maps in Uttoxeter?

• 1 year later...

There was just a single siding for milk at Uttoxeter, accessed from the Churnet Valley platform - seen here in the wikipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Uttoxeter_railway_station_geograph-2201087.jpg

The milk was piped across from the tanks by the overhead pipe I believe.  I've got a Uttoxeter West signal box diagram sketch if of any use?

Nick.

Archived