Collett2251's Bench

Hi all,

Time to bare my soul and post some of the stuff going on on my bench. Please be gentle with me.

Like most I got distracted from modelling by girls/cars/beer/marriage ect. and came back to it about 8 years ago when I had 1) more time 2)more money.

Having put together several wills and DJH kits (large and small) I am now gravitating towards etched brass. I picked up an unstarted High Level Neilson on ebay at a reasonable price added in Gibson wheels and got started then stopped when a colleague at work wanted me to build a DJH Standard 5 in exchange for a number of Portescap motors, how could I refuse, Neilson put to one side, Standard 5 built.

post-10218-0-54847400-1337182650_thumb.jpg

Standard 5 delivered back to Neilson, it is now at the clean and paintshop stage.

post-10218-0-86802000-1337182856_thumb.jpg

My next build is a GWR Saint 4-6-0 2902 Lady of the Lake, in EM guage from another ebay bargain, an unstarted CD Parrish kit, my intention is to post progress of this build although I don't think that it will be all that straight forward, having had a look in the box I can see that the whitemetal boiler casting is already scrap!

Chris

....build a DJH Standard 5 in exchange for a number of Portescap motors, how could I refuse, ...

Given the eBay values of RG4s nowadays, I estimate that he gave you three or four :jester:

.... GWR Saint 4-6-0 2902 Lady of the Lake, in EM guage from another ebay bargain, an unstarted CD Parrish kit,....don't think that it will be all that straight forward, having had a look in the box I can see that the whitemetal boiler casting is already scrap!

You can buy a replacement Std. no.1 boiler as a spare part from SouthEastern Finecast (it's in three of their kits: F123 "Hall", F127 "Star", and F133 "Saint", but surely can't be any worse than the Westward casting).

You can buy a replacement Std. no.1 boiler as a spare part from SouthEastern Finecast (it's in three of their kits: F123 "Hall", F127 "Star", and F133 "Saint", but surely can't be any worse than the Westward casting).

Alternatively roll your own, the dimensions for the boiler are on the Great Western site.

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_snt.htm

Mike

Are the quoted dimensions with or without the cladding?

I'm lucky. Malcolm Mitchell gave me a spare No.1 boiler and firebox etch years ago, and I've used this as a master template ever since.

Good point, unknown, I would assume without. As to MM boiler, be a dear and send me the end dimensions...go on you know you want to :triniti: There's finished art work in it for you!

Mike

Thanks for your encouragement and assistance, I will be working out the correct dimensions for the boiler and rolling one with GW rollers, I have also sourced a number of castings from Alan Gibson. Using Iain Rice's philosophy I will be building a model from the kit, not just assembling a kit. Hopefully my next post will be pics of the kit and a start to the build.

Chris

Morning all,

Time to get started on my Lady, it was bought on ebay 2 years ago complete with what look like Jackson wheels, Masima and gearbox, the motor will find its way into something else as I will be using a Portescap.

The prototype is 2902 Lady of the Lake in 1910 condition, fush rivets on smoke box and tender and no topfeed, why? Exellent photo in J.H. Russel's pictorial book.

I will be using the driving wheels that came with it, although not quite correct (crankpin between spokes not inline) as the budget will not allow for Gibsons.

Tender and bogie wheels along with buffers, chimney and safety valve bonnett have been sourced from Alan Gibson.

As the boiler proved to be unusable this seemed a good place to make a start.

post-10218-0-99059100-1337855901_thumb.jpg

Made a start on the firebox, fiting both halves.

post-10218-0-84708300-1337856288_thumb.jpg

Soldered together with lowmelt puddled along top seam to fill gap.

post-10218-0-52570800-1337856382_thumb.jpg

Cleaning up and removing boiler bands

post-10218-0-98968400-1337856601_thumb.jpg

Rolled boiler and smokebox from .4 brass sheet silver soldered seam and attached together

post-10218-0-90617400-1337856818_thumb.jpg

While continuing to fettle fire box in front of telly, contemplating frames.

Will be building to EM guage so Gibson frame spacers come into play, but need to workout how to incorporate existing mounting brackets.

Meanwhile back to bench to continue.

Chris

Hi all,

Back again having started on the frames, this is the etch that came with the kit.

post-10218-0-87253700-1338130723_thumb.jpg

Pored over the etch for a while and decided to remove all the spacers with the exception of the smokebox saddle/cylinder bracket, this I cut through the centre and backed up with a frame frame spacer to preserve the positioning of the bracket and mounting holes.

Trial fitted the wheels and axles and this is the progress so far.

post-10218-0-93144200-1338130521_thumb.jpg

post-10218-0-54144700-1338130586_thumb.jpg

All rolling freely and square, but then I looked closer they seemed to be too much of a gap between the centre and leading drivers, a feature of the Saint class was the very limited clearance between these wheels, out came the digital calipers and they are 6' 6" and not 6' 8", looks like Gibson may be getting a call after all!

Chris

Chris,

Nice work there, looking good. I will follow this with interest.

Before you rush off an order to Gibson you might want to check the splasher spacing too. It may be that the wheel spacing was to allow more clearance for over-scale flanges / wheel diameters and the splasher spacing on the footplate has been adapted to suit.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

Have checked out axle spacings and they are spot on to Russells drawing, if they foul the white metal splashers I may well knock some up in brass, that way I can incorporate the brass beading.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest, what are the current wheels that are on your model. I have just picked up a DJH 4MT tank kit and I am trying to descern which are the live wheels and which are the insulated wheels.

If you enlarge the photo of the side view of the frames you can make out the insulation between the tyres and centres on the right hand side, the live wheels are on the left side.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Back again having started on the frames, this is the etch that came with the kit.

post-10218-0-87253700-1338130723_thumb.jpg

Pored over the etch for a while and decided to remove all the spacers with the exception of the smokebox saddle/cylinder bracket, this I cut through the centre and backed up with a frame frame spacer to preserve the positioning of the bracket and mounting holes.

Trial fitted the wheels and axles and this is the progress so far.

post-10218-0-93144200-1338130521_thumb.jpg

post-10218-0-54144700-1338130586_thumb.jpg

All rolling freely and square, but then I looked closer they seemed to be too much of a gap between the centre and leading drivers, a feature of the Saint class was the very limited clearance between these wheels, out came the digital calipers and they are 6' 6" and not 6' 8", looks like Gibson may be getting a call after all!

Chris

Hi Chris

I recently purchased a Comet Models Castle chassis for which the instructions suggested using 6ft 6in wheels so I emailed Colin at Alan Gibson to get the measurements, which I received and the flanges will foul each other. Below are the quoted dimensions.

The 6’6†EM wheel is 27.21mm over flange, the S4 is 26.6mm. However, the correct 6’8†wheel is 27.88 for EM and 27.27 for S4.

HTH

SS

Hi SS,

Invaluable info, thanks for the dimensions, after some careful measuring I think I may just about get away with it, worst case I may have to skim a fraction off the flanges on the lathe.

I want this model to look right and the prototype had very little clearance between the flanges, this equates to .5mm in 4mm, currently I have 1.4mm.

Will soon be getting on phone to AG, fingers crossed!

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Back for an update, not a huge amount of progress, although I recently had 10 days off work it would seem that house and garden are more important than modelling! Back at work now and finding a couple of hours free now and then for the more important things in life.

Made up the 4 pieces that are the footplate, trial fitted a few parts to check positioning, fitted a bulkhead in the boiler to keep the shape after cutting a slot to clear the motor.

AG wheels delivered, fitted to axles and hold breath while fitting to frames, result! perfect fit leaving desired .5mm gap between flanges phew.

post-10218-0-87848500-1340617848_thumb.jpg

Onto the cylinders, castings not too bad but slight pitting on the outside and the cladding bolts too close to the edge, so I filled down to remove pitting, drilled bolt hole positions and soldered in .4mm wire, not 100% happy with the result, may look at fitting a brass overlay.

Very good crosshead and slidebar lost wax castings, but took an hour a side to fit and get sliding smoothly.

post-10218-0-94046200-1340618384_thumb.jpg

Next jobs to do, get clearance between footplate and wheels, fit cylinders and slidebars, boiler barrel/smokebox to firebox.

Having a visit to Didcot on the 25 July hopefully will be able to get access to their Lady to get plenty of detail pics.

Thats all for now be back when I have more to report.

Chris

Hi Chris,

If you can make your Didcot visit on the July 28th rather than the 25th then you can get in on the tour (see the Private Pendon Viewing topic in the RMWEB Events area of the forum) that I am going to do for fellow RMWEB members which will include No. 2999 which is in the lifting shop and this area is not normally open to the public. I think it is a No. 2999 working party day too so you can ask questions! If it has to be the 25th then if you ask at the enquiries office they will probably be able to find you someone to take you in there. She is really comming along now and has the cab sides on, large tracts of motion up, and all the wheels in. One detail bit that isn't obvious to look out for is the brake arms that hold the brake blocks - they are of a hollow design, not solid like the later ones!

Your model is looking great by the way!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Chris,

If you can make your Didcot visit on the July 28th rather than the 25th then you can get in on the tour (see the Private Pendon Viewing topic in the RMWEB Events area of the forum) that I am going to do for fellow RMWEB members which will include No. 2999 which is in the lifting shop and this area is not normally open to the public. I think it is a No. 2999 working party day too so you can ask questions! If it has to be the 25th then if you ask at the enquiries office they will probably be able to find you someone to take you in there. She is really comming along now and has the cab sides on, large tracts of motion up, and all the wheels in. One detail bit that isn't obvious to look out for is the brake arms that hold the brake blocks - they are of a hollow design, not solid like the later ones!

Your model is looking great by the way!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle

Thanks for your offer, the trip on the 25th is the annual outing of the photographic group where I work, as we all work shifts and the domestic authorities demand what few weekends we have off are spent at home, and there are few dates when our rest days coincide.

I was a volunteer at Didcot in the late 70's early 80's at the time when Zep first volunteered, I let my membership lapse for about 25 years and then a few years back bought back my original membership No. 7827.

Would be nice to meet up with you if your there on the 25th

Chris

Hi Chris,

I am not sure if I will be there on the 25th but I will let you know if I am. Zep and indeed many of the gang you will remember are still there so do make yourself known to them. Enjoy your visit!

All the best,

Castle

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress made, boiler and smokebox together, front smokebox ring made and fitted, quite pleased with the effect of the curved edge and join to smokebox. I will try to get a good macro shot when I get time. Currenty juggling boiler/footplate/cab front into correct position with fixing bolt through smokebox. Next on the list of stuff to do will be to measure and drill for washout plugs, chimney, safety valves and hand rail knobs, and then fit same. Still unsure what to do with the cylinders, does anyone supply etch brass cylinders to fit a GWR Saint?

Chris

.....does any supply etch brass cylinders to fit a GWR Saint?

This used to be Puffers / Perseverance's department. At the end of last year, Chris Parrish was apparently considering resurrecting much of the range. I'll see if I can find his contact details, if you want.

Archived