Three Link Couplings

Theakerr

Anyone have experience with these? I'm not sure what "metallic" means but it would be neat if it means metal. On the face of it they look rather interesting for retro-fitting. Have tried Hattons and they dont show up on their web site

www.hornbyinternational.com/en/search?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=HC8053

They're not three-link ; they're screw-couplings. Similar couplings have been available as spares in the UK since the release of the Class 50 some time ago. For those of us who have grown up with the Jackson/Smiths counterparts, they seem very small, but they're probably to scale. Not sure how practical they would be for everyday use if one had to do a lot of coupling and uncoupling, but they could be useful within semi-permanently coupled rakes of stock- my milk train will probably use them.

• RMweb Premium

Even on massive enlargement it is difficult to see what they are made from, however they would look good on the bufferbeam for a bit of added realism even if they are not practical to use

• RMweb Gold

They might well be plastic although it is indeed very difficult to tell. One thing I did notice tho' is that they are UIC pattern so they would have to be used with the hook they come with - the top link is two pieces and won't go over a coupling shank in the usual British manner.

• RMweb Gold

This could be manna from heaven. I've been looking for HO screw couplings - and the products I found were not promising in price or adaptability for the Electrotren/Mistral autorails or the elderly AS remorques I want them for. I have a set of the Jackson's OO product - marketed by K's - from the year minus several, but they look a bit big. Screw couplings aren't exactly a whizz to couple or uncouple in 1:1 scale, but these may at least look the part.

LATE EDIT Well after a thrash through Google - during which I found several German websites offering them at 10,000.00 euros! - I got a French dealer with stock. Interestingly he seemed to think one got 1 pair under code HC8053, not the 10 Hornby quote. So I've ordered what he calls two pairs. They are definitely quoted as metal in several websites. We'll see what turns up! Just for comparison I've also ordered one pair of his "best selling" screw couplings.

Oldddudders, I shall be most interested in what you find. About 98% of my running is with fixed make-up trains. My freight stock is in the process of being converted to 3 link (I am not being too sophisticated, after the hook and bar 3 links of any kind look good. I have found that the plastic coupling hook on late model Bachman and Hornby wagons when fitted with metal links is strong enough to take an instant on load of 32 loaded coal wagons. Tedious but at least I dont have to fit new hook. The older Dapol, Mainline, Bachman and Hornby all have to have a new hook and links fitted. All in all a very tedious process and hence my interest in these couplings because if they work it looks a simple replacement project. As a note of interest, since I have no need to shunt I have cut the tang off some of the traditional hook couplings and the visual improvement is fairly significant, but!

They might well be plastic although it is indeed very difficult to tell. One thing I did notice tho' is that they are UIC pattern so they would have to be used with the hook they come with - the top link is two pieces and won't go over a coupling shank in the usual British manner.

The ones I bought (as spares listed for the Class 50, from East Kent Models) are metal- as I have said, they are very fine in comparison with the other screw couplings on the UK market, so perhaps a bit fiddly for use where a lot of coupling and uncoupling is anticipated.

Archived