Cab to Tender Tarpaulins/Weathersheets

edcayton

Saw a loco at Expo EM yesterday with a very convincing frame on the tender to support a weathersheet. It occured to me that I can't recall seeing this modelled, nor can I find many photo's of it on the prototype.

It would seem to me to be a good idea on a model to hide the lack of action in the cab.My question really is for our ex-footplate crew on here, and is really how popular was it with crew? In other words was the tarp left up except in good weather, or was it only erected when conditions made it essential?

Ed

PS any photo's of models and prototypes would be appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

That pic looks like the Severn Valley.

I remember years ago (and long before I worked on the railway) the men on the Down Pilot at Reading moaning like stink about the weather sheet - no doubt at all that it made the footplate a much hotter place to work and could apparently be a right nuisance when shunting plus a claim from one Driver that the sheet never stayed taut and was a nuisance (I think he used a word I didn't understand back then to describe what sort of nuisance, but that might have been someone else years later talking about the wartime blackout sheets which seem to have been universally hated).

On the North Yorkshire Moors Railway we currently have in service an S15 which has an open cab and low tender which offers no protection at all when running tender first. Despite this few crew bother to rig the weather sheet. Unless it's raining heavily it's seen as too much trouble and too much of a nuisance in the way it restricts visibility and elbow room on the footplate. Last week I left Pickering in a hailstorm. I was happy with my peacoat and a baseball cap!

Alan

• RMweb Premium

On the North Yorkshire Moors Railway we currently have in service an S15 which has an open cab and low tender which offers no protection at all when running tender first. Despite this few crew bother to rig the weather sheet. Unless it's raining heavily it's seen as too much trouble and too much of a nuisance in the way it restricts visibility and elbow room on the footplate. Last week I left Pickering in a hailstorm. I was happy with my peacoat and a baseball cap!

Alan

It Rains in Yorkshire???? :sungum: And I thought that side of the country were under drought restrictions!!

Archived