Barton on Humber line

Dzine

Hi Folks

Can anyone help with info, especially post 1970, on the works, which became Associated Chemicals, just east of Barton on Humber station. A track plan, details of any shunters on-site and visiting BR loco's would be extremely helpful. The info may be used in a forthcoming book so please bear this in mind when submitting material.

Looking forward to the Stafford members day.

Regards Paul

• RMweb Gold

I've had a quick look in the 1979 Industrial locos handbook of the IRS and cannot find anything, except for 2' gauge locos at William Blyth's Barton Brick and Tile yard and Far Ings Tileries and further 2' ones at Goxhill Building Products Ltd Barrow haven Tile works and Barrow Haven works.

Perhaps they didn't have their own loco?

Sadly I never thought to try to take photos near there either!

David

I've had a quick look in the 1979 Industrial locos handbook of the IRS and cannot find anything, except for 2' gauge locos at William Blyth's Barton Brick and Tile yard and Far Ings Tileries and further 2' ones at Goxhill Building Products Ltd Barrow haven Tile works and Barrow Haven works.

David

David

Thanks for trying David

• 11 months later...

Heya Paul,

As it happens I am also looking at modelling the Barton Line, but not the chemical works at this stage. I will probably be looking at initially building a current era line for just the single track passenger line to Barton-upon-Humber, concentrating more on replicating the scenic aspect rather than looking complex track plans but later on following that up with a 1950s era layout, when the Barton-upon-Humber terminus was more complex with cattle sidings and so on...

I came across your post on here whilst researching for my own layout plans.

I have not found much else about for this line as yet although have started looking at the NRM archives and am also in contact with someone from Barton-upon-Humber about it as well.

The idea I came up with this week for a rough idea of the track plans meanwhile, was looking up old ordnance maps for the area.

For the chemical works, in your case, I found some initial details by visiting the site http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html, looking up Barton-upon-Humber, and selecting the 1982 1:2500 scale map, in the zoomed out sample view you can just make out the point where it branches north to the chemical works, runs straight north for a while, swings out to the east in a slight arc and then back north and west and then terminates with two sidings?

chemicalworkstracks.jpg

The zoomed in section of the sample view you can only see the point branching of, but if you can get hold of a copy of the original of this particular ordnance map, I think it may be of use, if you are still looking into this?

regards,

Simon B

You may have difficulties with a dual period layout as the original station was built on a curve. I believe the original intention was to continue the line along or beside Dam Road toward South Ferriby and Winteringham

Heya Bill,

Thanks for the tip :)

I think I did come across a reference somewhere about it originally being planned to extend the line right through to Scunthorpe or something? (You will have to forgive me if I am not fully familiar with the area, as although my family were from Barton-upon-Humber, I was born and raised in Australia and have not actually visited it as yet. (hope to do so in June)

I will probably create a separate layout for the different era.

I have at least one original layout plan from 1938 that shows a reasonable level of detail for the terminus, showing the rough shape of the station building, the main double track, with a passing loop between them, sidings off towards the southwest for a coal depot off Butts road, another siding across the main track from the station for cattle and a third siding off towards the north for a goods shed adjacent to the 'Malt Kiln' and 'Old Bone Mill'.

I would love to upload that image on here but the owner of the image requested I use my copy of the image for personal use only.

It may well be that eventually I end up basing my second layout on this layout and era if no other track plans becomes available for the 1950s era.

My other main area of research and probable deciding factor will be determining what actual engines and rolling stock served the region for the chosen era.

regards,

Simon B

Have you tried here: http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html

Enter coordinates 503344 and 422660, then look at the 1968 1:2500 map.

By pressing "close" on the map, and steering the pointer further north, a plan of the works is shown, coordinates 503414, and 423158

You can zoom in on both.

I SEEM to remember traffic on the line including both Chlorine and Ammonia tanks. We used to see them regularly at Barnetby.

I DO know that the whole area is now a park, Barton Waterside, and cost a LOT of money to clean up the pollution, which iirc, North Lincs Council ended up saddled with the costs.

Suggest you check out 'Marchon, The Whitehaven Chemical Works' written by Alan W. Routledge, published Tempus 2005.  It includes an aerial photo of the plant at B-on-H which had become an Albright & Wilson subsidiary.  It made compound fertiliser so received phosphoric acid and ammonia but not chlorine.

Heya all,

As someone who has just joined this community, I just wanted to say how heartened I am by all the useful replies people have added about this topic.

I really hope Dzine/Paul checks in soon and see all the potentially useful new information that has been added. :) (Hope the layout is going well Paul if you got started on it already)

Am looking forward to the time I start my own period layout in the future, based around the Barton-upon-Humber station itself.

I will no doubt end up posting on here about it seeking people's advice as well. (in a different thread of course, rather than hi-jack Paul's thread on the chemical works)

regards,

Simon B

Archived