The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

Hi everyone, just a quick update as progress continues a pace, but as so often with my modelling it tends to be two steps forward and one backwards. In this case the problem was trees. As you may remember trees were going to be quite important in trying to screen and break up the apparent bulk of the rolling stock in  a very small layout. On a previous build, New Osney, I had a lot of trees in the background, but I rushed these and this became one of several issues with the layout which resulted in its early demise. However I did salvage the trees and had in mind that with new foliage they might be ok as the skeletons were acceptable. When I came to the current build I sorted through the trees and decided that three of the better ones could be reused and these appear in the photos in the last post. But, you can probably see where this going, I wasn't happy the more I looked at them and realised I was going to have to do better. After a little experimentation I came up with these: 

OJ71.JPG.3697390e777fa21f16d476c6dc4502fe.JPG

I am really happy with these and, yes you guessed it, I then ripped out those already installed and added these, the ones below. These have given me the confidence to carry on with the the foreground which requires several trees. You can see some progress of this in the lower photo but more of that later.

Rob

OJ69.JPG.5834c65982f039cc61424b3c07592bf5.JPG

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,  

My last post finished with a comment that the stream would be the next item to be tackled. When I made the comment I didn't realise quite how long that was going to take. I had decided to use pva glue, as suggested by Siberian Snooper, by building up layers and allowing each to dry. Having painted the stream bed,  brushing the glue on was working well, but I could see the need for many layers and decided to accelerate the process by actually pouring the glue on to the stream bed and allowing it to find its natural level within the banks of the stream.  I had aquired a litre bottle of clear pva glue, so there was no shortage. It really looked very affective but caused a little bit of a panic as, as you can imagine it took about three days to set hard. but set it did and I then decided to add another layer which I am currently waiting, somewhat impatiently to dry. This has caused a delay in getting other things done as I don't want to risk dropping anything in the 'water' and causing damage to the surface. Hopefully it will be complete soon and I can get on and plant more trees and illustrate progress with some photos.

Thanks also for all the likes they are appreciated,

Regards Rob

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up with your progress, Rob, and I have to say Osney Town is looking fabulous, especially now the forestry is in place! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the stream when it's all done!

All the best,

Mark

On 19/03/2023 at 15:54, 2996 Victor said:

Just catching up with your progress, Rob, and I have to say Osney Town is looking fabulous, especially now the forestry is in place! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the stream when it's all done!

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for your comment, I thought I should give you and everyone a sneak preview of progress. The stream is just about finished and although it hasn't come out as I pictured in my head I am reasonably satisfied with the result. When the foreground is finished the stream should all blend in rather than be a dominant part of the scene. 

The feeling being created is a bit like one of those stories where the characters are out walking in the countryside and can hear a train but can't actually see it for all the trees and bushes between them and the railway line and then they scramble through the trees and all is revealed!!! This could be the first model railway layout where it is difficult to actually see the railway. Anyway onward and upward, hope you like the photos, more to follow as we progress

Regards Rob

OJ81.JPG.58c140efd17fc544be7cb6604a06e610.JPGOJ82.JPG.638099c2fd8b8255cbef1e6642fa659b.JPG

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rcf said:

This could be the first model railway layout where it is difficult to actually see the railway

I'm with you on this one. When you have a good story to tell, I think it's good not to reveal the ending too early on. We are creating theatre after all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Superb stuff, Rob. I think you've proven here that there's often a big gap between received wisdom concerning the 'proper' way to compose a model railway scene, and the way the world actually looks... This is something completely different to the modelling norm, but it looks completely believable and (as in your little hypothetical story) it feels true to the experience of how we actually encounter the railway and feel inspired by it.

...and the trees themselves are great too!

Adam

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Superb, Rob! I agree totally with @Gedward  and Adam @Calidore - you've captured a slice of countryside as it actually is (or was) with the railway passing through it. The stream is very effective (I'm taking notes for the planned reedy brook on one of my current micros!); the overhanging trees put me in mind of happy, hot summer's days in my childhood, wellies on, playing under the willows and hedges bordering the stream near my parents' home.

Thank you for such a delightful, evocative scene!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

Hi All,

Just wanted to thank George, Adam and Mark for their kind comments and for all the likes. When you work on your own, as opposed to in a club, you can sometimes think you are loosing the plot, so it is good to see that what you are doing is appreciated by others. The comments re theatre reminded me of a display put on by a group, who I think came from the Plymouth area , at the Guilds Summer exhibition many years ago. It featured a small tableau with curtains to conceal the display and chairs arranged in front. At the appointed show time the curtains parted to show a short goods train held at a signal on a well modelled embankment. Then the signal went down and the train moved off with sound and steam emitted from everywhere. The train exited and the curtains came across to applause from the audience. Pure theatre, I wonder if anybody else remembers it,  I know it appealed to me at the time and has always stuck in my memory, so perhaps Osney Town will be my version!!!!

regards Rob

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

This resonates very much with me because this is exactly what I had planned for my last layout Bovey Tor. Which I sold when I decided to sell my house.

Working from the back to the front, I never got round to creating the canal and all the surrounding trees and bushes at the front of the layout. I hoped to create a very similar scenario to yours. Where you had to look through the trees and across the canal in order to see the trains passing by. Which then gives the viewer a, 'now you see it, now you don't' view.

• Like 1

Hi George,

I just went to have a look at your threads on here, but sadly all the photos on Bovey Tor have been lost but the photos on The Bovey Saga show what I have missed and are superb. I do recall dipping in to this a while back and admiring your work. I will definitely be watching for updates.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Gedward said:

So I've finally managed replace the majority of lost images from Bovey Tor.

Just had a quick look, but will come back later and go through carefully, as what I have seen, looks superb.

Regards Rob

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Excellent choice, there, the stream is looking splendid and definitely "part of the countryside". Full marks to your Other Half! This is such a delightful scene, Rob, wonderfully evocative.

All the best,

Mark

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Excellent choice, there, the stream is looking splendid and definitely "part of the countryside". Full marks to your Other Half! This is such a delightful scene, Rob, wonderfully evocative.

All the best,

Mark

Thanks for that Mark, I will pass on your comments to the other half!

regards Rob

• Like 1

On 02/04/2023 at 17:58, DLT said:

Wonderful stuff Rob, so effective.  Where/when can we see it?

many thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave, thanks for your comments, sorry that I have only just got back to you as we have been away in Northumberland for a few days. It looks as though you have also been reading through the whole saga!  As to where you can see it, only in the far west, I'm afraid,  we will be in Hayle on the 14th and 15th of May and Plymouth on the 15th July. If either venue is close to you please make yourself known if you are able to visit, I will be the one operating!

I must be going stupid as I have just seen the names of your layouts and finally made the connection, as I have been a great fan of your work for a number of years.

regards Rob

Edited by rcf
Senility
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, rcf said:

Hi Dave, thanks for your comments, sorry that I have only just got back to you as we have been away in Northumberland for a few days. It looks as though you have also been reading through the whole saga!  As to where you can see it, only in the far west, I'm afraid,  we will be in Hayle on the 14th and 15th of May and Plymouth on the 15th July. If either venue is close to you please make yourself known if you are able to visit, I will be the one operating!

I must be going stupid as I have just seen the names of your layouts and finally made the connection, as I have been a great fan of your work for a number of years.

regards Rob

Make that the 13th and 14th of May!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was out walking along the river valley when an unusual sound attracted me to look across to the railway station where I spotted a visitor to the branch line. I took a quick picture in case it didn't appear again and I wouldn't be believed as the visitor was a long way from its normal operating area.

OJ89.JPG.0d0d85e09ca684f816803a4e98992579.JPG  That's the story but what is really happening. Well this somewhat aged bubble car has been in its box for several years and I thought it would be handy to bring it out and add some variety at the first show in May. You can imagine my thoughts when the exhaust on the roof caught the underside of the exit from the fiddle yard. I had tested the clearance with a loco and auto coach, which was fine but I was now faced with not using it or enlarging the entry to the scenic boards without damage to the scenery. The decision was taken to enlarge the hole straight away and before I thought to much about it, and the result is the photo above and I can report that no damage was created in fixing the problem!

Regards Rob

Edited by rcf
Additional text
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Likewise Martyn, over time you see names appearing on the thread with comments and hitting the like button and you wonder whether you will get the opportunity to actually meet, so Sunday was an amazing chance to put faces to names. As we discussed, your models have given me food for thought and encouraged my wife to push towards her dream of me linking up my various layout in one long run but I don't think that is likely to happen in the immediate future!

Regards Rob

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1