The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas

rcf

58 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Rob,

would a thin coat of PVA, seal the card? You would probably need to preform the card and coat both sides. It might be worth doing a small piece, as an experiment.

Thanks for that idea, I might try that. I was thinking perhaps of a matt varnish but the sample I did earlier, just painting on the card and gluing it to the board seems to be drying ok, so it's possible that I'm seeing problems that don't exist. Not an unusual situation 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rcf said:

Hi Martyn, I have been thinking again about the use of mounting card as I have some pieces to hand and I can get quite a tight curve which won't take up too much space. My concern remains as to whether the card can take paint and glue without it soaking in and causing lifting of the card. When you have used it, do you paint on it, if so with what type of paint, and do you seal the card with anything before and after gluing it to the wood backscene?  Your help and advice would be appreciated, in the meantime I have prepared a small test piece using wood glue and emulsion paint, so hopefully that will work ok.

regards Rob

Rob

I don't paint the mount board, leave it a neutral colour. 

I fix with PVA aided by blobs of hot glue to hold it in place while it dries.

As my layouts are small with relatively low back scenes I seem to get away with it. 

I have painted back scenes in the past but now prefer not to.

Martyn 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, mullie said:

Rob

I don't paint the mount board, leave it a neutral colour. 

I fix with PVA aided by blobs of hot glue to hold it in place while it dries.

As my layouts are small with relatively low back scenes I seem to get away with it. 

I have painted back scenes in the past but now prefer not to.

Martyn 

Many thanks for that information Martyn, it was just what I hoped to hear and my own trial seems to suggest I was probably worrying about nothing. Anyway I think it has pointed the way forward and towards curved corners, really my preferred option!

regards Rob

Hi Rob

If you are looking to add a photo or painted backscene, could you create a card backscene at described earlier and then add a separate photo backscene or painted scene on paper - fixing the paper to the backscene using Photomount or similar. This should eliminate the wetting of the pva and causing the glued bonds to unstick. I have no experinece of the above but others might have.

Andy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 51235 said:

Hi Rob

If you are looking to add a photo or painted backscene, could you create a card backscene at described earlier and then add a separate photo backscene or painted scene on paper - fixing the paper to the backscene using Photomount or similar. This should eliminate the wetting of the pva and causing the glued bonds to unstick. I have no experinece of the above but others might have.

Andy

Hi Andy, thanks for your interest and that suggestion. My preferred backscene is a painted one, just a plain 'sky' colour, and that is what concerned me most. Would the mounting card absorb the paint and warp. From Martyn's experience and my own tests it does look as though my concerns were unfounded, which doesn't really explain why I had a problem on an earlier build. The difference then was the photographic backscene which I hadn't used before so perhaps it was the vinyl on that which caused the problem.  Perhaps I should have used photomount or something similar as you suggest rather than the pva glue. Whatever it was I'm now thinking that I will either paint the card with a simple wash or find a card that has a neutral colour ,as Martyn has done and shown so well on the photos he attached. Decisions, decisions, I must be a sad case as I really enjoy this planning stage 😁

Reading this back tells me that I seem to have made a decision to go for a curved backscene using card rather than using buildings to disguise the corners! So one decision made.

regards Rob

• Like 4

Many thanks, Rob, for taking the time to restore your photographs to your thread, as I have just re-read it in its entirety whilst laid up in bed - the photos of your modelling are inspiring, to say the least. I remember looking at your original quayside layout several years ago and saving the photos on my computer in my folder of inspiring ideas! 

Elsewhere (on one of my many threads) I have mentioned about creating an O gauge layout in homage to my late father, using the buildings and stock he made before dementia stopped his modelling. I’ve even put up an idea for a plan, using the station building and goods shed etc. However, looking at your dioramas has got my grey cells buzzing, to create something simple using his smaller buildings (weighbridge, coal states, office, provender’s store etc).

Thank you for creating such inspiring, evocative and atmosphere filled layouts - I’ve made sure to “follow” to keep up with developments here!

Steve S

• Like 5

11 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Many thanks, Rob, for taking the time to restore your photographs to your thread, as I have just re-read it in its entirety whilst laid up in bed - the photos of your modelling are inspiring, to say the least. I remember looking at your original quayside layout several years ago and saving the photos on my computer in my folder of inspiring ideas! 

Elsewhere (on one of my many threads) I have mentioned about creating an O gauge layout in homage to my late father, using the buildings and stock he made before dementia stopped his modelling. I’ve even put up an idea for a plan, using the station building and goods shed etc. However, looking at your dioramas has got my grey cells buzzing, to create something simple using his smaller buildings (weighbridge, coal states, office, provender’s store etc).

Thank you for creating such inspiring, evocative and atmosphere filled layouts - I’ve made sure to “follow” to keep up with developments here!

Steve S

Hi Steve, many thanks for your comments. You say that you are laid up in bed , hopefully this is not too serious and you will be up and about soon. When I logged in just now I couldn't believe the number of notifications showing, you have certainly been busy. It is difficult to know how to respond to your kind words, other than to say thank you. We are all in this hobby for our own enjoyment but it is always good to hear that your work is appreciated by others and when I started this thread, many years ago now, I never thought that it would still be going so many years later and would be followed by other modelers for so long. There have been many ups and downs along the way but I still get great pleasure out of my modelling, so, as they say, onward and upward.

kind regards Rob

• Like 6

It's about a week since I finished the mock-ups for the latest diorama and I have been doing my usual thing of leaving everything alone and having a long look at it every day and I must say that I am still very happy with the overall concept. I have attached my 'universal' fiddle yard to it to check that that will work, if needed. so everything is good to go. I have ordered a few things online, which unfortunately will be a little delayed on delivery but there is plenty I can do in the meantime. I just need to decide on the construction method for the new buildings, in the past I used ply sheeting over a pine strip frame but then moved to foamboard for the last two builds which worked well but for some reason I am being pulled back to ply construction! As this is only a diorama the buildings are going to be the key to bringing it all together so I need to get it right but in all honesty I don't really think it matters what framing I use, I just need to make a decision 😁

Rob

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 4 weeks later...

Following on from my last post I have made a start by building the industrial units for the backscene. In the end I opted for foamboard for the main structures. They now need painting and the addition of small details such as guttering and down pipes. In the course of construction I made a couple of adjustments to the overall scene, the first was the 'bit' of station building which was designed to screen the access points to the fiddle yard, which I decided was too long and obscured to much of the picture, so a couple of inches removed, easily done on a card mock-up and why I find it so useful to test the 'picture' before building. The second was a slight re-positioning of the water column which was too central and also, I think, awkwardly placed for locos to take on coal and water at the same time.

I'm pleased with the build  so far and anxious to get on but am held up slightly waiting for delivery of an online order. I was advised there would be a delay so no complaints, but I just want to get on 😁, Rob

TS213.JPG.b61a4f033db374b6777a4a6b82d7aed3.JPGTS12.JPG.7aeddfad9638e040b452e7cacf393726.JPG

• Like 16

• 2 weeks later...
  • rcf changed the title to The Osney Story: 0 Gauge Cameos and Dioramas
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Lovely progress, Rob, the scenery is coming on really well. The winter trees look fab - such a rarely-modelled season as it's difficult to get the muted colours and foliage, or lack of, right. Excellent!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Over the years I have made most of the buildings on my various layouts from scratch but, as mentioned in an earlier post, I was  greatly taken by an engine shed kit from Intentio. As the shed would play a central role in the new diorama I decided that the kit would probably be better than my own efforts, so to cut a long story short the kit has arrived accompanied by a couple of lamp huts and some assorted windows and doors. I must say this is my first foray into laser cut kits and I am extremely impressed with what has arrived and hopefully I can do justice to the kit with its construction and painting.

The kit does raise an issue with the diorama itself. Included as part of the kit is an inspection pit for inside the shed. The kit is based on Shipton on Stour which did not have an external pit but I was intending to construct one outside as well, as was the case with Wallingford where the idea for this layout came from. However, the pit is larger than I anticipated and will not fit between the cross members on the base board so will have to be reduced in length, even if used as proposed in the shed. Now my question is do I bother with the pit in the shed which actually will hardly be seen from the viewing angle and just use a cut down version outside or do I bite the bullet and construct two pits which would probably be more accurate in terms of the real thing, but one of which would be largely unseen. Decisions decisions. I think I am likely to give some thought to this and test various alternatives before anything is actually cut, especially as I need to ensure everything is ready with Osney Town which is scheduled to appear at the SWAG meeting in Taunton on the 28th. Any ideas and comments, especially regarding the need for two pits, or one and if so which, inside or outside, are wecome.

Rob

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 minutes ago, rcf said:

Over the years I have made most of the buildings on my various layouts from scratch but, as mentioned in an earlier post, I was  greatly taken by an engine shed kit from Intentio. As the shed would play a central role in the new diorama I decided that the kit would probably be better than my own efforts, so to cut a long story short the kit has arrived accompanied by a couple of lamp huts and some assorted windows and doors. I must say this is my first foray into laser cut kits and I am extremely impressed with what has arrived and hopefully I can do justice to the kit with its construction and painting.

The kit does raise an issue with the diorama itself. Included as part of the kit is an inspection pit for inside the shed. The kit is based on Shipton on Stour which did not have an external pit but I was intending to construct one outside as well, as was the case with Wallingford where the idea for this layout came from. However, the pit is larger than I anticipated and will not fit between the cross members on the base board so will have to be reduced in length, even if used as proposed in the shed. Now my question is do I bother with the pit in the shed which actually will hardly be seen from the viewing angle and just use a cut down version outside or do I bite the bullet and construct two pits which would probably be more accurate in terms of the real thing, but one of which would be largely unseen. Decisions decisions. I think I am likely to give some thought to this and test various alternatives before anything is actually cut, especially as I need to ensure everything is ready with Osney Town which is scheduled to appear at the SWAG meeting in Taunton on the 28th. Any ideas and comments, especially regarding the need for two pits, or one and if so which, inside or outside, are wecome.

Rob

Hi,

this is one of those dilemmas that everyone will have their own ideas on but you are the one to make the decision!  For my two penn'orth, unless it can be easily seen for most viewing angles, I'd go with only one pit, and that being the outside one.  However, as I've said, it's up to you to go through the pro's and con's of each idea and then decide.

Roja

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that I would do the outside pit from the kit and use the remaining bits to build the beginning of the inside pit, as that is bit most likely to be seen, though the open door.

• Like 3

Hi

A slightly different view - who is this layout designed to please (rhetorical question).

If you are designing this for purely public show, then what cannot be seen does not need to be there. I know of O gauge locos without brake gear that no one noticed were missing, one sided finishes on buildings and even stock for layouts where the view is from one side only.

If you are designing for home only view and you like making things (as you obviously do) then put the detail in if it pleases you. There are plenty of modellers that add detail that no one will ever see, but add it anyway because they know it is there.

In the end the choice is yours - not really helping I know - but then we cannot and should not tell you what to do. Rule 1 applies.

Happy deliberating 😇

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Just a quick thanks for the comments so far, all very valid and thought provoking. Andy's comments are very relevant and follow my own thought process but brings me no nearer to a decision 😉

regards Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The litmas test I think is will I regret leaving it out. For me probably not in this case if there is one outside but if you are likely to think  'I should have done the inside one' each time you look at it  well ......

Don

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On 22/04/2024 at 11:10, rcf said:

Just a quick reminder that Osney Town will be appearing 'for one day' only at the SWAG meeting at Taunton on Sunday. 

Rob

OJ194.JPG.11a3b67897f81b236b3b6779c7b4e798.JPG

Am there too Rob - look forward to meet you and see this layout!

Pete

• Like 3