Prestatyn Station in N

Grafarman

• RMweb Premium

Having been in contact with Eileens and scoured t'internet I've failed to find any angled strip tiny enough to create the lattice work on the footbridge, so I've decided to make up the bridge using the plain sides in the kit and represent the one which stood from 1984-onwards until I find a suitable alternative; bit of a nuisance but the Prestatyn footbridge seems to have been a one-off as the others in Fflint and elsewhere along the Coast were of standard LMS lattice, of which there is a plentiful supply!!

So that's this weekend's project sorted out then...

More soon

David

• RMweb Gold

Give these people a try. I am sure that I have seen some very small styrene angles.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Strip-Shape/Angles/Item/Styrene-angle-packs/ITM5490

The other way is to build it out of flat microstrip then add a very tiny smaller piece to create the angle.

Fiddly but may well be worth it in the end.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Give these people a try. I am sure that I have seen some very small styrene angles.

http://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Strip-Shape/Angles/Item/Styrene-angle-packs/ITM5490

The other way is to build it out of flat microstrip then add a very tiny smaller piece to create the angle.

Fiddly but may well be worth it in the end.

Ian

Thank you Ian; they both have strip which goes down to 1.5mm which is a scale 9" wide so maybe I'll get a pack of strips and see if I can do something with them; problem being my eyesight and dexterity if I have to go any more fiddly than ready-made angle, but at least it's a start...

David

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Ian; they both have strip which goes down to 1.5mm which is a scale 9" wide so maybe I'll get a pack of strips and see if I can do something with them; problem being my eyesight and dexterity if I have to go any more fiddly than ready-made angle, but at least it's a start...

David

These days I tend to make most things under an illuminated magnifier - really I shouldn't have gone from OO to N scale !!

One advantage using the illuminated magnifier fixed to the table is that I can now really model in the dark especially now that its dark at 5am!!!

Ian

Having been in contact with Eileens and scoured t'internet I've failed to find any angled strip tiny enough to create the lattice work on the footbridge, so I've decided to make up the bridge using the plain sides in the kit and represent the one which stood from 1984-onwards until I find a suitable alternative; bit of a nuisance but the Prestatyn footbridge seems to have been a one-off as the others in Fflint and elsewhere along the Coast were of standard LMS lattice, of which there is a plentiful supply!!

So that's this weekend's project sorted out then...

More soon

David

David,

if it's the criss-cross pieces you're struggling with, how about trying the Scale Link trusses etch - http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scale_1_152_160__N____Echelle_1_160__N_.html - I've just measured up the one I've got and the panels are 14mm by 8mm and 7mm by 6mm.

Regards,

David

• RMweb Premium

David,

if it's the criss-cross pieces you're struggling with, how about trying the Scale Link trusses etch - http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Scale_1_152_160__N____Echelle_1_160__N_.html - I've just measured up the one I've got and the panels are 14mm by 8mm and 7mm by 6mm.

Regards,

David

Wow those do look tiny, but yes they might just be the job; I'll measure up the sides I need and come back to it.

Thanks for the input

David

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Whilst waiting for the etch I need, and trying to put off more mundane things like scenery planning and so on, I decided to invest in some lighting to bring the whole thing to life and make taking pictures, painting etc. so much easier.  I don't have the space to put up a fluorescent tube, which would have been my ideal, so I toddled off to Ikea and bought two work lamps which have 1200lm bulbs in them; one is hovering over the station area poised on the edge of the adjacent wardrobe, and the other looms over the backscene just behind the signal box flooding the west end of the platforms with light.

I think they really do the job; here are a few pictures to show what it looks like now - I've only recently got the camera (Panasonic Lumix) and I'm a complete novice at taking proper pictures; I may invest in a couple of daylight bulbs which will make the scene even clearer but, well, see what you think...

post-10897-0-77913500-1379186907_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-87700900-1379186919_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-32397200-1379187071_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-45732300-1379186966_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-37185900-1379187082_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-73883600-1379187002_thumb.jpg

As always, constructive criticism is very welcome!!

More soon

David

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So here's a conundrum for you; standing at the front of the layout I can't see the fiddle yard at the back due to the newly-erected backscene unless I stand on a chair, so... 

I've bought some mirrored sheeting which I intend to stick to the back upright and the back of the backscene so I can see what's what, but here's the question: 

Do I have to angle the mirror in order to see to the bottom of the fiddle yard, and if so which way, or if I fix them flat to the uprights will the natural angle of viewing 'bounce' the image back to me so I can see all the fiddle yard?

Here's a rough drawing to show you what I mean; the backscene is 10" high as is the back upright (which is against the wall); the Fiddle Yard covers the full width of the back section.

post-10897-0-13897700-1380097553.jpg

Answers on a postcard please (or just post here would be fine!).  I need to try and work this out as it's too fiddly and potentially costly to make several attempts!

Thank you

David

post-10897-0-13897700-1380097553.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The two mirrors facing each other will reflect all that is between them. The question is whether or not the viewing angle is sufficient for you to see the reflection in full. I need to have a playa round with a couple of mirrors to be sure. So can't answer that until tomorrow.

Mike

This is a brilliant blog though it is causing me a few problems, I have always really modelled Steam even though I have a few 00 Blue diesels but now I'm thinking of maybe just collecting a few in N to run on my layout when I want to be taken back to my childhood, keep up the good work

• RMweb Gold

Having checked the mirror situation it should work fine, provided you get the your viewing position right. The mirrors will be opposite sides of the fiddle yard so should reflect from one to the other and to your eyes no problem. Go for it! :sungum:

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Having checked the mirror situation it should work fine, provided you get the your viewing position right. The mirrors will be opposite sides of the fiddle yard so should reflect from one to the other and to your eyes no problem. Go for it! :sungum:

Mike

Thanks Mike; that's my Saturday afternoon project sorted!

• RMweb Premium

The mirrors work a treat and I can now see the previously-hidden fiddle yard which makes it so much easier!  Eventually I plan to install the Heathcote modules to start/stop trains in the loops but I'll still need to see what's going on for ease of use so this is fine.

I also spent a huge amount of time trying to build a roadbridge for the East end of the layout where the trains disappear under the backscene; as it's on an angle and includes a curved feeder road it's proving a bit of a challenge but I'm soldiering on with it!

Next building project will be the footbridge, but also I need to finalise 'filling in the gaps' - as the backscene doesn't line up exactly with where the original station is I need to creatively fill the space with suitable buildings/scenery etc. to give the impression of Prestatyn instead of an actual replication, which was the original idea.  Funny how plans change as you move along isn't it?! 

So I dunno; maybe a caravan park/camping field; marsh land with tall reeds and bushes and an overgrown river bed; some industrial-looking buildings or hotels as per the ones at the lower end of the town; or a coal merchants...hmmm...!!

Pictures as and when I get something worth shooting!

David

• RMweb Premium

I finally got around to assembling the roadbridge I've been building for what seems like an age; problem being, it's an angled bridge over four tracks which converge together, making a rather strange shape to model!  Also, the whole bridge and road arrangement needs to fit round the curve in the backscene and be freestanding as I'm not gluing it to the backscene in case I need to remove it for any reason.

In the process, I've taken some pics of my 'workbench' aka the dining room table, which I set up as and when I get time to do some modelling; today was an hour or two during the morning which is when I took these pictures.

These show the process of assembling the bridge and its eventual placement on the layout; the bridge sides are Knightwing from an old railway bridge kit; the abutments are from Metcalfe sheets and the supports are another part of the bridge kit, suitably chopped up, reassembled and painted.  The road surface and pavement are from 1mm and 0.5mm card respectively.  The pile of sprues on top of the PVA tub are the fence pieces I will eventually fix along the edge of the roadway, and which have just been painted.

Anyway, here it is; comments always welcome!

post-10897-0-96144800-1381006522_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-13823100-1381006550_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-17215600-1381006569_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-98284400-1381006594_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-39629300-1381006613_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-48941400-1381006635_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-53487000-1381006661_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-55702100-1381006673_thumb.jpg

More soon!

David

• RMweb Premium

I added the fencing to the edges on Tuesday; took me all evening to do just this lot, as the sprues come in 4" strips with a post at each end!  So I had to cut off one post and superglue the bars to the next post and so on...anyway, hopefully it'll look ok when the embankment is fitted and suitably foliaged; I'm scouting round for suitable grasses and applicators at the moment - I've never used one so I'll need to practise a bit first!

Here's a few pics; excuse the quality, it was a bit rushed!  Personally I like the way the backscene shows through the fencing; of course the roadway will be masked as it disappears into the trees!

post-10897-0-04646600-1381435916_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-85320200-1381435973_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-52259000-1381435947_thumb.jpg

David

Archived