Prestatyn Station in N

Grafarman

• RMweb Premium

David.

Not a wrong as you think. The Mk.1 Pullmans were regular visitors to the coast back in 1982 on specials to Blaenau Ffestiniog. However they were in blue/grey livery rather than grey/blue. So the only coach you appear to have in the correct livery is The Hadrian Bar. During 1983 they saw more visits but by then repainted back to original Pullman livery.

Glorious, the 50 also went to Blaenau but in the late 1990s, just before withdrawal, but by then it carried Network South East livery and was double heading with D400 in original blue.

I had not looked at your layout for a while, well done with the scenic additions, looking really great.

Merf.

Thank you very much Merf; I didn't know about any of that so it's very useful information! 

Not sure how I managed to miss the Pullmans in the 80's though as I have a lot of NWC resources around then - however, it seems I'm half right with the loco and almost right with the stock, so does that make it a quarter right overall?!  Was never much good at %'s :jester:

The train as it is will still get a run out on occasions, but maybe as a 'Rule One' special...!!

David

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely photos showing your progress. I think the Pullman train looks fine, which means any excuse you come up with to run it will be correct - it is your layout after all said and done. :superstition:

Mike

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff David. The backscene is very effective indeed, and helps to make the whole scene look very real. I have to remind myself that it is N gauge. Even a dyed in the wool steam fanatic can enjoy and appreciate something as well presented as this.

• RMweb Premium

Looking very good. Almost makes me wonder if stock to cover Millers Dale in two eras is worth considering!

For some reason my original reply disappeared!   Just to say Thank You, and that the reason a change of era works for Prestatyn is that the infrastructure has remained largely unchanged since the 60's; I've kept in the slow lines which were taken up some years ago, but otherwise it's as it appears now. 

I would go for it if you can; it certainly makes for more interesting and varied operation albeit a further strain on the wallet covering enough prototypes for multiple era-workings!

David

• RMweb Premium

Great stuff David. The backscene is very effective indeed, and helps to make the whole scene look very real. I have to remind myself that it is N gauge. Even a dyed in the wool steam fanatic can enjoy and appreciate something as well presented as this.

Hugely appreciated GB, thank you!  I stand in awe of your own prototypical standards, and in comparison can only hope to simply capture the essence of Prestatyn in some way - I'm just happy that aim appears to be coming to fruition. 

Oh, and I promise there will be some steam specials coming along soon!

David

• RMweb Premium

Well, today I filled in the last little gap in the scenery and so finished off the 'green' part of the layout; as far as jobs left to go (not including detailing stock), here's the list:

Repaint the platform surfaces (still too light for my liking)

Add the AWS boxes to the lineside

Source a 2" length of stone wall for the front of the station (the Javis ones are hugely overscale)

Fit the station lamps (Tricky-CRS is creating these for me)

Do something about that 'hotel'-type building!  May involve kit-bashing something as my scratchbuilding skills are not advanced enough!

Replace the bracket signals with working ones (Dapol say theirs should be available in Sept/Oct)

Keep adding people/cars/lorries etc. in appropriate places

Of course the list won't end there, and I'm sure there's plenty that other people can see that I can't, so it'll be ongoing for a long time yet!

One thing I don't want to do though is swamp the layout with details that distract from the trains; I've found it's so easy to cover every piece of ground and fill every corner with tiny bits and pieces that pull the eye away from the mainline, and I want to create a backdrop to the trains the way I remember it.  I recall a lot about my days on Prestatyn station, but the smaller details slip my memory; it's that overall picture I need to capture...

Funny how your perceptions change isn't it!  I started out wanting to create an exact replica of Prestatyn station, with every tiny detail included, but on the journey have had to make so many compromises and adjustments, subsequently changing the nature and layout of buildings, roads and so on to build a layout that's representative of the area and pleasurable to look at, but is fun to operate and enjoyable to watch.  The station is accurate in itself, but the surroundings have been subject to considerable license!

Maybe this is the compromise we all need to make at some point when we model a prototype location (unless of course our available space, time, finance, skills and patience are unlimited!)  but I'm having loads of fun doing it and trying new things, so onwards we go!

More soon

David

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Digital

David

You have captured this so beautifuly. Takes me back to my younger days and those fantastic summer Saturdays with trains back and forth all day long.

John.

• RMweb Premium

Any updates?

Funnily enough, I was thinking just last night that I hadn't put anything up for a bit!  I bought some relay boxes so I've got to assemble those and put them on, and I've changed the contents of the fiddle yard so hopefully this weekend I'll get some more pictures to put on here.  Other than that I've been occupied elsewhere so haven't had much 'layout time'!

David

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd try a couple of videos while I'm fiddling with other things; hope you like 'em!

First one is of 92220 Evening Star hauling a Special through Prestatyn; the lighting isn't brilliant but it seems to work ok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxgaPCb4Sog

Then a view from the roadbridge as 40168 hauls an intercity service through en route to Llandudno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkmR2LbQhaU

I took some photos too so I'll sort those out eventually...

All comments gratefully received!

David

• RMweb Premium

Wow thanks very much chaps :blush: it's kinda nice to know my humble efforts are appreciated!

I'll sort the photos out tonight or tomorrow and get those posted too...

David

• RMweb Premium

Is it due on the circuit anytime soon?

'Ulp! I've never really thought of exhibiting Prestatyn; It would actually disassemble as it's been built in sections but is far too heavy and bulky for me to carry so it's unlikely it'll be out and about any day soon!

David

• RMweb Premium

Here are the pictures I took the other day at the same time I did the videos; first up, Evening Star with a suitably eclectic mix of stock on a 'Steam Icons' Special:

post-10897-0-67487000-1397903996_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-68215800-1397904003_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-75918900-1397904012_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-74498500-1397904020_thumb.jpg

Class 40 40150 is waiting patiently in the Bay platform for the two CCT's to be unloaded:

post-10897-0-74261900-1397904113_thumb.jpg

But no-one's paying them much attention because the Euston-Holyhead service is pulling in:

post-10897-0-48382800-1397904192_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-17516600-1397904200_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-05308500-1397904209_thumb.jpg

It comes to a shuddering halt, taking up the entire length of the platform:

post-10897-0-39389800-1397904218_thumb.jpg

More to come...

Edit: Just noticed that I had the wrong setting on the camera which is why they've all come out a bit 'fuzzy' :( I'll reset it before the next lot, but I've a few more to come first...

David

• RMweb Premium

Here's the last of this set of pics, and it features my favourite loco Class 46 46045 (the one in my avatar).

Having left Llandudno half an hour ago with a train of Mk1 stock en route to Manchester, 46045 comes to rest in Platform 1 next to Evening Star:

post-10897-0-79262200-1397912578_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-90183500-1397912585_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-33586600-1397912594_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-43452400-1397912600_thumb.jpg

Not sure what happened here, but the camera seems to have gone 'fish eye' on me to create this image!!

post-10897-0-20509400-1397912609_thumb.jpg

And finally!

When the station has been cleared of the Special and the two regular services (although not 40150 as yet, still sitting in the Bay), celebrity class 37 D6607 Ben Cruachan trundles through hauling a regular service to Bangor:

post-10897-0-74293900-1397912746_thumb.jpg

post-10897-0-64422600-1397912754_thumb.jpg

I've always liked this loco, and appreciate the work Pauline at Millfields has done with the detailing and weathering; makes such a difference!

That's it for now; I've repainted the platforms and need to add the relay boxes and re-plant the population before anything else happens; as always, your comments are much appreciated.

David

Archived