Water towers

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

I'm about to start building the water tower for my Ropley project, but whilst gathering photos together I realised that I don't have any that show whether the tower has a top, or if it is open to the elements. I'd always assumed that it was open and there looks to be a ladder down into the tank, but can anyone confirm if this type of tower would be open, or if they all had tops?

Here's the tower being modelled:

6ed2b97c.jpg

Cheers,

Tom.

It all depends on the design. Some were roofed and some weren't. Obviously the water used in steam loco's was treated, so you wouldn't really want debris in it. Then again, rainwater could be captured if there was no roof on the tank. Many 'Braithwaite' tanks of the more modern bolted pressed panel designs have roofs, but some of the older Victorian cast iron designs don't. Certainly municipal water towers were built with roofs to stop pollution from bird droppings etc, and many had gutters piped into the water tank to capture rain water off the roof. This practice was soon stopped when drinking rain water became unacceptable. Bird droppings in the tank are not an issue if the only thing using the water is a steam loco, however.

A year or so ago the rain water farmed off the roof of a building was tested chemically to see how good it was for use in steam loco boilers. It was proved that it is as pure as it gets and very little chemical manipulation would be needed.

NRM @ Shildon farms water from the roof for use in boilers.

Sorry to go off topic but as you can see rain water is acceptable for use in the boiler.

Perhaps google maps could give you good roof top views of existing ones. I have just had a look at Keighley and it's one of the rectangular sectional ones and is open to the elements.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps google maps could give you good roof top views of existing ones.

Alas the google maps imagery for the area is rather low resolution (it must have been done some time ago) and its difficult to draw any conclusion from it.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Tom.

Looking at the picture of the water tower at Ropley, its looks like the top is open. Its the classic round construction made from rolled steel plates riveted together. There are rows of rivets where the plates join at the sides and bottom, but also there are rivets round the top. My guess would be that the top of the tower is open and there is a reinforcing band riveted round the top to hold the thing together. It looks like there is an access ladder sticking out from inside the tank aswell.

Here's Midland water tower based on that at Barnoldswick:

Picture011.jpg

There's a very nice set of drawings of a Parachute type tank (LYR) in Modeller's Back Track Vol 2 No. 6 from March 1993 by R.C Lane. From the text, it seems that in the early days tanks were open, sometimes with planks on the top. After the grouping, tanks began to be covered.

John

Did you see that the extended version of BBC's Have I Got News for you tonight featured the British Water Tower Appreciation Society as its guest publication? I'm sure they could help. See this link-

http://bwtas.blogspo...ws-for-you.html

Nice to see a more anoraky group than us! I speak as one who is very concerned about whether water tanks on woolen mills and in LNWR MPDs were covered or not.

(Edited 28/5/12 to remove a couple of typos)

Did you see that the extended version of BBC's Have I Got News for you tonight featured the British Water Tower Appreciation Tower Society as its gust publication? I'm sure they could help. See this link-

http://bwtas.blogspo...ws-for-you.html

Nice to see a more anoraky group than us! I speak as one who is very concerned about whether water tanks on woolen mills and in LNWR MPDs were covered or not.

I'm a member of BWTAS, I'll have you know!

• 3 years later...

I am in the process of building a water tower based on the one at Grimsby (in about 1955).  It is on an enclosed brick base that, one assumes, encloses pumps and other paraphernalia and  appears to be open topped - no problem.  However, I am wondering about a water height gauge.  I cannot see one on two of the walls, including the wall facing the station which is where I would expect to see one.  I cannot get a picture of the back and only limited ones that face the Garden Street signal box.  A google search, somewhat to my surprise shows numerous water towers that appear not to have had an external gauge.  So did they use the very simple overflow pipe (that does appear in several pictures? Would anyone know if Grimsby did have an external gauge and then if not how did they rely on getting a full tank? 

• 1 month later...

I'm planning out a shed/yard layout and a station one back to back ( they would be parallel along the path of the mainline if space allowed ) but till now i've not really considered water towers in my mostly finalised mock plan and I don't know much about them beyond the basics. In one of the illustrations i'm using as reference for my fictional recreation there is a water stand with a smallish circular tank suspended above it ( quite similar to the one at the top of this page ). My question is should there be a large rectangular water tower somewhere near by to top up said small one ( it serves a 3 strong engine shed ) and the water crane at the station platform? The one at the station is not shown and while not my preference I could change this so its like the one next to the shed with its own reserve over a skinny crane arm one but i'm just plain unsure and looking at online photos isn't telling me much. The station's water crane is about 250 metres away from the engine shed on a flat if that makes any difference with hydrostatic pressure. I'm quite happy to stick a medium-large rectangular tank near the station area as I still have free space there and trust it could provide the primary source for the shed one too, but would that make the small tank redundant or just mean it doesn't need a pump?  

Pointers will be appreciated

Steve

Archived