Portscap RG4 complete

Penlan

See item 320462331718

??125 + P&P, from Holland, are they really worth this much, even to our EU friends?

I might have to pull a few out of some loco's because I find they are noiser than a decent can motor and good gear box set-up.

Penlan

See item 320462331718

??125 + P&P, from Holland, are they really worth this much, even to our EU friends?

I might have to pull a few out of some loco's because I find they are noiser than a decent can motor and good gear box set-up.

Penlan

The noise problem with the later RG4s can be cured, but preferably done with the RG4 out of the loco

And in my opinion their is no comparison with the RG4 and a can motor, the RG4 wins hands down on power and reliability and another plus is you can do wheel cleaning very easily compared to a worm and pinion gearbox

• 2 months later...

..... no comparison with the RG4 and a can motor, the RG4 wins hands down on power and reliability and another plus is you can do wheel cleaning very easily compared to a worm and pinion gearbox

Bevel-and-spur or contrate-and-pinion-and-spur drives give similar low-friction effects, and can be backdriven, so the wheels don't lock up like worm drives do.

The actual motor part is by Escap / Faulhaber and these can be found for sale on eBay. This also leaves you with the option of choosing a coreless motor by Maxon (which I think is a bit stronger than Escap or Faulhaber).

Contrate-and-pinion gear sets can be obtained from Ultrascale or Scalextric if you want to build your own gearbox.

Bevel gears are made by Grandt Line, but I must warn you that they can be quite rough!

Archived