The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Queen's English Society Closes

edcayton

Apparently not enough people care about mis-related pronouns, apostrophes (either too few or too many) and things such as "should of", so this august institution is closing its doors.

Nobody else on here has picked up on this, which made the news on t'wireless over the weekend, don't know about the telly.

Ed

I know, I know, it won't let me edit the title

I do wonder if anyone really cares. I was standing in the doorway of a shopping centre in Reading sheltering from the rain and it passed my mind as everyone chattered about the weather in the typically english fashion, that there was not a single English accent among the 20 or so gathered. Now seeing this it has only made me think in England today what is the point of a Queen's English Society and who is likely to morn its Cloes?

• RMweb Gold

As we lit the beacon last night my wife (the Mayor) wondered if many would sing the National anthem, I had a vision that out of the 500 or so there that maybe 10 would sing and the rest would hum the theme to X factor.

Nothing controversial at all,...................like everything else, language, spelling and grammar evolve.

No doubt Will Shakerags was only saying the same...............:)

Now, when does't thy purveyors of miniature perambulation devices re-establish commerce, after ones extended feast of festivities?

Burfdee dosh 2 spend m8!

Doubtless only to be revived under another title in a decade or two, provoked by a headline in The Solar Orb: 'Kueeng Wilkat Coronated - Crowds Maxinormous in British Megabash'.

As already observed, use of language necessarily evolves, and every previous attempt to control that process in English has ended with failure apparent. That's tru of simlar effuts to refom spellin tu sumthin simpla, closa, an mor consistent bof internally an wiv akshal usage. Language does what it does, and beyond a little attention to regularised orthography (kreckt spellin) gets along perfectly well without self appointed controllers. Bill Bryson provides a humorous digest in 'Mother Tongue' for anyone looking for an easily read overview.

I had overlooked this sad news item. Perhaps the organisation has given up in disgust. I cannot say that I blame it if that be so. Of course language evolves, but does not the word "evolve" imply progress? The insidious spread of expressions like "should of" strongly suggests the opposite! How badly it reflects on the education foisted upon the unfortunates of this country.

Chris

Guest Max Stafford

"How badly it reflects on the education foisted upon the unfortunates of this country."

Intentionally I suspect, Chris, but that's a debate for elsewhere.

Incidentally, under cover of the Jubilee hype, did anybody notice the snippet about the UK's credit rating being down graded by Egan Jones agency?

http://www.fxstreet.com/news/forex-news/article.aspx?storyid=a158ee5b-ea84-43ad-9ef8-ec726a02d50a

Dave.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

My pet hate has to be the use, in conversation, of the word "like" as a form of punctuation.

Moan over, now to walk the dog.

Guest Natalie Graham

The insidious spread of expressions like "should of" strongly suggests the opposite!

Along with with the almost ubiquitous internet mis-spelling of the word 'lose'.

Guest Max Stafford

Applying this to earlier eras, I find the erstwhile use of 'shew' in place of 'show' rather irksome. It gives the impression of people made to feel ashamed of regional dialects affecting a false, 'RP' accent. That's something I feel was utterly wrong and at least when I started school it was dying out anyway.

Dave.

Along with with the almost ubiquitous internet mis-spelling of the word 'lose'.

Yeah, surely by now everyone knows it should be "cloes" with a silent "c".

if I have one dislike, it is the use of the term "mate" in conversation. I am not anyone's mate and consider it about as insulting as calling me "you b@astard" or similar. Yet the term seems to have infiltrated common parlance from somewhere. I am sure no offense is intended by anyone but I for one find its use offensive. Perhaps those who use the term have acquired the habit among their friends but have not considered how inappropriate its use is in a wider setting.

Perhaps it is a local term that has been abused - something like "duck", "hen", "luv"? Anyway, please keep it to those you you know well enough that they are not offended.

• RMweb Gold

Yeah, surely by now everyone knows it should be "cloes" with a silent "c".

if I have one dislike, it is the use of the term "mate" in conversation. I am not anyone's mate and consider it about as insulting as calling me "you b@astard" or similar. Yet the term seems to have infiltrated common parlance from somewhere. I am sure no offense is intended by anyone but I for one find its use offensive. Perhaps those who use the term have acquired the habit among their friends but have not considered how inappropriate its use is in a wider setting.

Perhaps it is a local term that has been abused - something like "duck", "hen", "luv"? Anyway, please keep it to those you you know well enough that they are not offended.

My father was a sticker for correct pronunciation but used the term "mate" sometimes, but then he spent his life at sea.

My Mother came from Penryn(nr Falmouth) and when visiting I was always called "mate", again there was generally an association with either the docks or the sea.

innit.

Guest Natalie Graham

I am not anyone's mate

Awww! That is so sad. Please, can someone befriend Kenton? ;)

My pet hate has to be the use, in conversation, of the word "like" as a form of punctuation.

along with the ubiquitous "Nah wat I meen" that has become prevelent, whilst language has to develop - why does it have to be in the direction of kids now sounding like they are New York "gangsta's" ?

Guest Max Stafford

Personally, I suspect the only sure-fire way to avoid causing inadvertent offence to sensitive souls is to avoid direct conversation with anyone.

Nuances and non-verbals are just as important, witness Scottish use of the 'C' word as a term of endearment; "He's a good ****, him!" ;-)

Dave.

Archived