Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Found in the loft

• RMweb Gold

Given that we only moved here in 2004, and clearly did a comprehensive packing exercise then as we were moving to another country, you might reasonably think I'd know what was languishing in the loft, awaiting rediscovery. Wrong. This afternoon, having disposed of a wardrobe-full of clothes, I found another box and opened it. OMG! Stuff I hadn't looked at in 30 years, some of which I really don't even recognise or recall buying, lete alone part-assembling.

So, 3 Wills LBSCR D1/E1 body kits, in various stages of advanced assembly, to the extent they are hand-painted. Ditto an E5 bodyshell, a K's Terrier, and a Gem Gladstone with wheels and motor - it might even run! The other half of an LBSCR push-pull set - I have the other fret recently under construction - body formed and partitions installed and actually soldered in place. Did I do that? Some Sprat and Winkle signal bits, with a home signal that nearly works, as well as a revolving LBSCR ground signal. 12 - yes,12 - unopened Nu-Cast LBSCR wagon kits, with an invoice dated April 1983. And, most implausible of all, an LBSCR 6-wheel coach - for which the chassis has been assembled. I simply CAN'T have done that!

So, what comparable unlikely relics have you unearthed - if that is the term for things you find in the loft?

We had a thread a few months back about items which had been 'lost'. I posted that I'd lost an unbuilt K's Garratt body kit. I thought that it was in my late fathers loft yet hadn't come across it whilst clearing it.. I had a final clear out of the loft a few weeks back and lo' two unbuilt K's kits, Garratt and Princess. The reason I'd missed them was that I was looking for the familiar orange or silver box. When I found them they were just tightly wrapped in polythene bags, I recalled I'd bought them off one of the subsequent owners of the K's range. obviously sans box.

I "rediscovered" all my old Tri-ang TT gauge a short while ago. Haven't used it since 1972 when my parents moved house and I started in OO. Found loads of tat that went with it also (homemade buildings etc). Haven't the heart to chuck em in the bin. My TT loco's work, just about, but all the track is bug***ed. I intend to keep it and maybe one day build a small "display" layout. But the reason I changed to OO was that my TT stuff, most dating from the early 60's was worn out and ran very poorly. So maybe I'll build a static diorama in a display case. I refound my old Hornby Dublo colourlight signals as well - now on my OO layout - and all the bulbs still work !.

Clearing out my mum's loft a few years ago I found some of my old layout control panels, I cleaned em up and they now live on the roof of my loft layout - display mode only (though one has all the lamps lit).

Amazing what you forget about - then find, ain't it ?.

Brit15

• RMweb Gold

I've found my mojo, not sure quite where it was but I certainly came back from Showcase with quite a bagfull of it!

Going through the cupboard this evening to get out 56040 for decoder fitting I pulled out a Hornby class 56 box... the contents of which turned out to be a blue 56082 that I'd completely forgotten buying. 56040 also located and now two new grids ready for service.

Andi

My problem is I find I remember the stuff I'd like forgotten.

Back to the OP... not so much on the kit front, but I was pleasantly surprised the other day (Q1 2012; where has the time gone?) to find some tittivating fiddly bits for a 16t mineral. I can't remember buying them, and I was just on the point of ordering some.. and I found the completed D&S Y6 that I thought had vanished in a house move too...

Looking around an old family cupboard the other year I found a R221 'City of Leicester' of my Grandpas that everyone had forgotten about. Sadly, I also found out it was his last purchase before he passed on, so is usually kept in the box, but gets the occasional run around the layout.

• RMweb Premium

I haven't unearthed anything recently but if anyones seen the 4mm Woodlesford Station Building that someone made for me in 197? please let me know. It was last seen in my current loft about 30 years ago and someday it will surface no doubt. I did find the Stationmaster's house that went with it a few years ago.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Enough to make you paranoid? :mosking:

No, just reality I'm afraid! I must fit a proper access to my loft before I get too old!! Lol.

I'm presuming Ian's thread refers to railway stuff... when I last went into my loft I found a suitcase full of flowery shirts, ties so wide they would cover my chest, flared trousers and some cowboy boots. And that was just the girlfriends' stuff... :jester:

As for rail...well, there's copious amounts of Hornby steel rail which I bought in 1982 with the intent of using for a future layout. When I got back into the hobby in 1997 I discoved it was worthless as nickel-silver had replaced it. I've also got bits from my very first train set: 1965 Triang Freightmaster. I think my brother has most of the set, but a conflat and milk wagon were poking their noses out of a disintegrated cardboard box.

Now don't get me started on my LPs... King Crimson, Derek and the Dominoes, Santana... I guess you all remember them?

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

No, just reality I'm afraid! I must fit a proper access to my loft before I get too old!! Lol.

I'm presuming Ian's thread refers to railway stuff... when I last went into my loft I found a suitcase full of flowery shirts, ties so wide they would cover my chest, flared trousers and some cowboy boots. And that was just the girlfriends' stuff... :jester:

As for rail...well, there's copious amounts of Hornby steel rail which I bought in 1982 with the intent of using for a future layout. When I got back into the hobby in 1997 I discoved it was worthless as nickel-silver had replaced it. I've also got bits from my very first train set: 1965 Triang Freightmaster. I think my brother has most of the set, but a conflat and milk wagon were poking their noses out of a disintegrated cardboard box.

Now don't get me started on my LPs... King Crimson, Derek and the Dominoes, Santana... I guess you all remember them?

Jeff

If you've got the 'right' LPs stashed away you might have sufficient funding for a layout, or even a couple of layouts.

My problem is being unable to find the stuff that I haven't forgotten!

Oh, how very, very true! Amid other tasks I've been having a bit of a stock-take this week. In a drawer I found a Masokits etch that I do not recall buying but I'm glad I did because it may solve a problem only recently discovered. Against this there are some bits and pieces that are not where I thought they were and there is no logical reason why they should be anywhere else. Such is life.

Chris

I'm sort of the reverse of this. Somewhere in this house is a 7mm scale L&Y Barton Wright 0-6-0 kit complete with wheels. Can I find it? Can I heck as like!

Our loft has been converted into a bedroom so there's nothing hiding in corners. Same for the shed, it was built two years ago when I dismantled the old asbestos garage.

But my railway modelling activities all started off when my father told me he'd found a Tri-ang TT Jinty, complete with box, and some stock I'd had as a kid, and did I want them? That was in 2000, they'd last seen the light of day circa 1962. The Jinty ran first time!

I'm sort of the reverse of this. Somewhere in this house is a 7mm scale L&Y Barton Wright 0-6-0 kit complete with wheels. Can I find it? Can I heck as like!

Be on the lookout for a pair of new shoes.

"I found this box gathering dust, obviously unloved and not wanted so I ebayed it and used the money to buy something useful"

I keep my treasure padlocked in a couple of old trunks all I need to do is remember where I hid the key.

• RMweb Premium

If you've got the 'right' LPs stashed away you might have sufficient funding for a layout, or even a couple of layouts.

Great idea, Mike, but unfortunately they are all mainstream multi-cloned vinyls, from the era when the sound quality was directly proportional to the thickness (or lack of) of the plastic. No early Beatles, Stones or any first editions, sadly.

I know I've got a couple of old Rovex train transformers in the loft. I doubt they work. when my parents thought I was "playing trains" I was actually using the DC output of the transformers to copper plate everything in sight. Copper sulphate can be very corrosive!

I envy those people on the telly who express surprise at finding a Ming dynasty vase as they peruse rubbish for Cash in the Attic. Oh for a mint Hornby Dublo that some long-deceased relative had left to me. It never happened!

OK, rant over...

Jeff

... Now don't get me started on my LPs... King Crimson, Derek and the Dominoes, Santana...

Take them to a clay pigeon shoot. If you can get a pellet to graze them at just the right angle you may hear something interesting. A friend of mine claims to have heard 'sacrifice' when he shot a Santana LP, and I am convinced I got 'mullered' out of a Wings disc. For best results cleaning in a Nitty-Gritty is recommended. For relaxation afterwards, throw a housebrick into an old washing machine running on fast spin. This is what technology was invented for.

• RMweb Premium

:no: not enough space left to lose anything in a mankini - goes on a chain to keep my medallion company.

Now, hands up all who are feeling nauseous :D

Hands up, me!! Got my glasses on so I don't have to look! :sungum:

Take them to a clay pigeon shoot. If you can get a pellet to graze them at just the right angle you may hear something interesting. A friend of mine claims to have heard 'sacrifice' when he shot a Santana LP, and I am convinced I got 'mullered' out of a Wings disc. For best results cleaning in a Nitty-Gritty is recommended. For relaxation afterwards, throw a housebrick into an old washing machine running on fast spin. This is what technology was invented for.

What a waste of good air pellets!

Mind you, I used to hear "snap, crackle and pop" from the Rice Krispies advert every time I played an LP...

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

I discovered a Dave Alexander Baby Deltic kit I didn't know I had in the attic yesterday.

what do these look like casting wise?

reason i'm asking is i was considering getting one of these ages ago but because the picture on his site isn't very clear i never bought one

Archived