Steam mainline railtour coaches

trent

Hi guys

Apologies in advance for the stupid question but no amount of web searching has provide a firm answer.

I'd like to put together a rake of coaches similar to what's used on current mainline steam railtours behind such beasties as Britannia, DoNZ etc but am unsure of which type/model of coaches to acquire.

There seems to be an ever increasing array of coaches in both cream/crimson and maroon with and without BR crests used so could someone please comment of what's prototypical and whether plumping for Bachmann or Hornby is the best bet?

Any help you can provide much appreciated!

Thanks

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Bachy Mk1's are a good start for West Coast coaches - although they'll need some detail removing on the ends - such as footsteps. Here's a couple of the WCRC fleet.

post-408-0-71091400-1339080147_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-25820000-1339080173_thumb.jpg

Precision labels do some WCRC transfers, but not certain if they do the Hogwarts emblem that some carried a couple of years ago.

post-408-0-08595500-1339080203_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Some 'main line steam' products I can think of:

Hornby's West Coast Railways Pullman MkIID coach packs

Bachmann's Limited Edition NRM Support Coach

Hornby's Pullmans (including Brighton Belle trailer car used in VSOE set)

Hornby's West Coast Railways MkI coaches, as sold with Harry Potter train sets (and possibly with the 'Tornado' train pack?)

Some of these are more accurate models than others but they'll help you to create a train which isn't just made up of stock in 1950s-60s condition. For a higher level of accuracy you could detail and/or re-paint standard Bachmann MkIs, MkIIs and Met-Cam Pullmans. The most visible 'modern' additions are Commonwealth or B4 bogies, orange cantrail stripes, overhead warning stickers, TOPS-style data panels, air brake equipment, Electric Train Heating (ETH) connectors and removed periscopes/roof ribs. Most WCRC MkIs also have handles removed from the central doors and the ends painted maroon rather than black. Some excellent modelling on this thread: http://www.rmweb.co....l-baby-warship/

Cheers,

Will

Sometimes there is a rake almost in the same colours.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/31842-britannia-70000-pompey-pacific-near-bath/

This formation was largely chocolate and cream with a carmine and crimson brake (support coach at the back). I think that the leading coach was a Mark 2.

But what I rarely enjoy seeing is the multi coloured stock seen here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/image/31490-the-duke-at-the-towy-estuary-29-8-2011/

Thank again for the replies.

At Will - unfortunately I don't have the time but more importantly the skill to modifiy coaches so given Bachmann coaches have the edge over Hornby I'll probably plump for a number of those.

At mow - I agree, I think it looks awful when you see a rake comprising of different schemes.

Cheers

Martin

• 3 years later...

Hi guys,

Quick revamp for this topic. Can anyone confirm (in order from tender) the WCR coaches that have been hauled by Scotsman over the last couple of weeks or so.

Thanks

Martin

Archived