Drummond 700 drawings

I'm looking for detailed and dimensioned drawings for the Drummond 700 class loco, as run in the fifties. Is there a known source or can anyone help, please.

Bill

Hi Bill

They were featured in the "Scale Drawings" section of Railway Modeller July 2006 (drawn by Ian Tattersall). The drawings include both original and superheated versions and also both the 13' and 14' wheelbase tenders.

Mike

Guest Belgian

There are copies of the original works G/A drawings in the Don Bradley book 'LSWR Locomotives - the Drummond classes' from Wild Swan, which also has the best class history yet produced. It is essential reading for all LSWR/Southern modellers. Most 700 model kits are hopelessly inaccurate although the PDK etched brass one seems pretty well spot on. There are rumours that an R-T-R 4mm scale one may appear, but, as usual, that may be pure speculation based on its position in recent polls!

JE

Most 700 model kits are hopelessly inaccurate although the PDK etched brass one seems pretty well spot on. There are rumours that an R-T-R 4mm scale one may appear, but, as usual, that may be pure speculation based on its position in recent polls!

Understand that Dean Sidings have a resin one planned. You are right about the whitemetal kits, have acquired one obviously is supposed to be the original version yet various features appear to more accurate to the superheated one, so I am tempted to swop the chimney for a stovepipe one and pass it off as a superheated one until something more accurate appears (etched brass kits not being a favourite oif mine)

• RMweb Gold

Understand that Dean Sidings have a resin one planned. You are right about the whitemetal kits, have acquired one obviously is supposed to be the original version yet various features appear to more accurate to the superheated one, so I am tempted to swop the chimney for a stovepipe one and pass it off as a superheated one until something more accurate appears (etched brass kits not being a favourite oif mine)

It wold be nice if Dean sidings did produce a casting for the 700. The old BEC whitemetal kit. is as mentioned by Belgium too. somewhat innacurate as the vertical dimentions are unfortunatley overstretched.

I have two versions, bult many moons ago, of the BEC kits one superheated and one in non superheated condition.The height error in the proportions can clearly be seen...

post-243-0-66457000-1339273210_thumb.jpg

post-243-0-67239900-1339273224_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the OO Works version, a solid performer but further refinement would be useful. The chimney is not correct for the BR version and the pick-up's leave a lot to be desired. This model will shortly receive a Hornby tender, HighLevel motor drive and attention to those pick-up's.

IMG_0562.JPG

A very suitable candidate for a model from Hornby.

Tim

Archived