Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Do we still wave at trains?

• 1 month later...

Nothing wrong with an outbreak of cheeriness in a society dominated by indifference.

Well put sir! I used to wave at trains when I was a nipper and I'm delighted to say they still do today and yes, I always wave back. Seeing the little ones bouncing up and down in delight when they get a response always brightens my day!

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of drivers waving at me yesterday, Freightliner, GBRF and Greater Anglia, and some playing to the crowd, well the video camera anyway.

Last Sunday, West Coast had another ECS from Norwich and SWMBO and I went to Attleborough, once again cheery waves from the crew

:clapping:

I waved at the Gunnislake to Plymouth service last a week ago yesterday from here:

50.45928,-4.186377

The driver tooted back (well, the traind did actually, but I guess the driver pushed the button...). He didn't know me, I didn't know him. But we both understood our roles. :)

I'm 53. I have a job, an education, and can wash and dress myself. :) I think that waving at trains is old-fashioned, time-honoured, and good. Besides, there ain't much else to do on the Bere Peninsula :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

i always wave to people if i can, give them little toot as well

similarly i wave at other drivers i pass, (the most misirable drivers are virgin, they rarely seem to wave back)

another thing i do to amuse myself is if i see track workers is ask myself a question and "see" who answers it, even funnier if someone is in the cab with you, for example...

"hands up who's drunk"

TOOT

a sea of hands are raised

("drunk" is a family friendly option)

You bad man Jim!

There's a particular spot on the Midland Mainline where I always give a toot and a wave.... the bridge that spans Harrowden Junction just north of Welingborough often has two or three cars parked up close by with some familiar faces ready and waiting with their cameras. If I'm on the slow line approaching the junction from the south they're usually on the bridge in good time to get their shots, but if I'm thrashing along on the fast I'll give them a good blast before I get there so they have time to run onto the bridge and get into position.... they usually respond appreciatively so it's a two way thing really. Presumably it's always been a favoured spot for local enthusiasts as there are two Peak numbers painted on the north parapet of the bridge facing the line... 45 107 and 45 111 I think... ;)

Hi all!

Well we're now down in sunny Marazion :sungum: :sungum: , so driver & train waving at Penzance and Long Rock will be obligatory for certainly myself (45) & the boys (13 & 8 ) and if we're really lucky, my gorgeous wife (21 as ever) too wink3.gif !!

Look forward to waving and recounting our escapades here!!!

TTFN!

Charles

My grandsons are being raised 'in the faith'

Only two years old, and whilst they may be overawed by a Class 66 on the Round Oak to Margam empties, the reading matter indicates their future interest will be in the steam era.

Brian R

post-1599-0-06449400-1343675346_thumb.jpg

Hi all!

Got a wave from a 150 at Long Rock crossing, an HST & Voyager at Penzance :sungum: !! Tis fair to day my boys were happy! Unfortunately we missed the sleeper at Long Rock as me and the little guy were walking along to look at the train wash and the depot - another night we WILL get to the crossing on time!!!

TTFN!

Charles

A friend of mine was telling me only this morning how he was following the smoke of a 'North Wales Coast Express' in his camcorder viewfinder as it traced its way along the coast towards him around 1990. In the corner of his eye he saw a large camper pull up. A bloke jumped out and said "Is it Flying Scotsman?" My friend replied it wasn't and continued filming. As the train got closer he felt he wasnt alone. Unbeknown to him, a whole family had gotten out of the camper and as he panned round to follow the train all he captured was a large family waving furiously at the passing train.

George's Trains (N of Toronto) is next to the main CN freight lines. The staff/customers and the train crews frequently exchange waves.

Adrian

It must be something of a planning requirement in Ontario. I remember visiting a model shop alongside the diamond just west of Brampton Ont. station, and a CP line ran behind the previous premises of Credit Valley Models.Brian R

It must be something of a planning requirement in Ontario. I remember visiting a model shop alongside the diamond just west of Brampton Ont. station, and a CP line ran behind the previous premises of Credit Valley Models.Brian R

Possibly it is...

The CP line is still about the same distance from the new location of Credit Valley (although not visible from the back door any more). The Doll House and Train Emporium in Port Hope has the CP line running behind it and the CN line across the street. Crossbuck in Pickering is close to, but not visible from, the CN/GO lines.

The new George's location was originally called Railview.

Adrian

Hi all!

Just a quickie to say that the driver of the Night Riviera gave us a toot when we waved from the level crossing at Long Rock tonight :sungum: :sungum: !! So my family say a big THANK YOU :sungum: :sungum: to that driver!!

TTFN!

Charles

I've had my 2-year-old grandaughter Lucy staying for a couple of days and I accompanied her and mum back on the train as far as Preston. She waved at our train when it arrived, waved at trains at Lancaster and Preston, and on the journey waved at everything from the train including the cows! :angel:

Archived