Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Two more innocent victims molested!

Lastest projects finished are a MOPAC GP38-2 and a DTI GP40-2.

7361230692_b2176a4c26_b.jpg

MOPAC created from a modified Proto 2000 shell on an Atlas mechanism.

7361231018_c7a31abbe7_b.jpg

7361231344_ba4486f02e_b.jpg

7176006685_aa874872a1_b.jpg

DTI was created with a little of everything. It is an Athearn shell, Proto 2000 chassis, Atlas trucks, Kato motor with A-Line drive parts, not to mention a few detail parts.

7361232288_ace718a938_b.jpg

Several reasons really for the effort.

The Athearn answer is easy as they always need remotoring and extra weight, it is more economical and a better result just to throw the original chassis away and use something better, and for me its usually an Atlas mech. The Proto chassis, Kato motor, Atlas trucks and other parts were at hand, and I seem to always go the difficult route.

The Proto shell ended up with Atlas as that was what I had, plus it gives a consistancy to speeds by using the same gearing in everything.

Matthew

• RMweb Gold

As this was from the MOPAC's 8th batch of GP38-2s - of 12, totalling 326 units - I am a bit surprised to see it has Blomberg Bs. I think the Blomberg Ms on the GP40-2 look a more likely bet for a unit delivered in 1980.

It may be wrong, but it was more important to me to use what I had than buy more stuff that was correct. Besides which, when it is a couple of feet away it is not so noticable to me, especially if I take my glasses off! :no:

Matthew

Perhaps if it was an IC loco, I would be more critical of my work.

• RMweb Gold

It's a fine-looking model, and I apologise for raining on your parade. Some roads did purchase new dash2 power with Blomberg Bs off their elderly trade-ins, so it isn't implausible. Having the Kevin EuDaly book on MOPAC Diesels I just couldn't help checking.... Sorry.

It may be wrong, but it was more important to me to use what I had than buy more stuff that was correct. Besides which, when it is a couple of feet away it is not so noticable to me, especially if I take my glasses off! :no:

Matthew

Perhaps if it was an IC loco, I would be more critical of my work.

It's a fine-looking model, and I apologise for raining on your parade. Some roads did purchase new dash2 power with Blomberg Bs off their elderly trade-ins, so it isn't implausible. Having the Kevin EuDaly book on MOPAC Diesels I just couldn't help checking.... Sorry.

My apologies also. I didn't intend to cause any offence - hopefully, none taken. I was just confirming Ian's (Olddudders) observation about the protoype trucks.

I think that in many cases trucks would be swapped with other locos so it would be quite possible for a loco to run with a different set of trucks to the ones it was originally fitted with.

Re dash 2's with Blomberg Bs, see the Southern Railway's final order of GP38-2s - riding on Bs from trade-ins but featuring the later type radiator grilles and angled air filter!

No offence taken and I hope it did not come off like it was, I was just trying to explain why it is so, and wanted a better sounding reason than I am too lazy. I used to feel that the accuracy was much more important, but then I realised life was too short to worry about things I could not see when it is on a layout.

Additionally, I have to admit that at the moment model trains are my hobby away from my hobby, which is currently wasting my life restoring another MGB.

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Archived