Carpet tiles as track underlay?

I've done a search of the forum archives to see if this has come up before, but could only find mention of carpet tiles with regard to putting on the floor, or (curiously) being used as insulation.

I was in Wickes today when I spotted their range of carpet tiles. For whatever reason (either one was turned over, or I turned it over - I can't remember which) I had a good look at the underside, I wondered about using these tiles laid upside down on top of a baseboard, to provide sound insulation.

I've never used carpet tiles in any shape or form, or ever wanted to, but from what I've seen in the past the Wickes tiles appear to be of a very high quality. The underside seemed to be very even and flat and similar to other "rubber type" materials suggested for track underlay use. It was also fairly firm and not "sqidgy" or soft.

Considering the cheapest one was priced at about £2, it seemed at the time that these might be quite good to use this way?

It was just a thought and maybe I'm quite mad, but has anyone tried this?

Not tried their carpet tiles but I have used Wickes cork floor tiles.

Better than the cork sheet sold by model shops as one side has a dead smooth finish and they are come flat.

Not that much dearer and probably good value unless you need large sheets.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

I've used upturned B&Q Tiles on a previous (abandoned) layout - they were not 100% the same thickness when glued down, which led to slight irregularities in the trackbed.

The fibres at the cut edges tend to fray quite a bit too.

Stu

Not quite sure of how the carpet side would stick to the baseboard.

I've used just about everything for "underlay" from cork to foam and in my opinion it creates more problems than it solves and am not sure it actually solves any. The sound deadening is, I believe, a bit of a myth as any effect there is is lost completely when the layout is ballasted. The sound of the drumming is a result of the baseboard design and is removed by moving as close as possible to 'L' or 'T' supports or removing as much of the flat earth board.

Archived