If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello

Clem

Hello,

I joined yesterday. I've been modelling many years. I started off by building a finescale 00 layout in the 1980's and then attempted a fairly ambitious P4 layout in the late 1980's 1990's. However, I found that with the best will in the world it wasn't reliable enough (the stumbling block was the inability to back 20+ wagons into sidings over a crossover and single slip without derailments, even after weighting each of the wagons significantly). The result was a move into the world of EM and I've not regretted that. I've recently converted some of the Hornby Gresley non-corridor coaches. Hornby have not made it easy as some of the inside of the bogies have to be removed for clearance. Preserving the delicate detail - particularly the bogie step-boards was a big challenge but I've found a method that works using one the 'helping hands' devices, a mini drill and a mini milling cutter. From that you'll have gathered that I'm building an ex-LNER (actually ex-GNR) layout. It's set in 1955 and is based upon the line that ran between Nottingham and Derby via Ilkeston. Still at the early stages though and I'm building copper clad pointwork in the hidden sidings and using C&L components for the visible.

Having discussed EM and P4 I can't leave that topic without saying that P4 pointwork is beautiful to behold and I will return to build a small layout sometime in the future. But for getting a bigger layout completed and running reliably EM is the best compromise for me. I only wish that someone manufactured wheels with the width of P4 wheels but with deeper flanges! Until that happens it's EM.

I have other very time consuming interests which often take me away from railways and modelling, the main one being music - I play both in a rock band and in an acoustic act but I'm now retired and trying to be disciplined enough to spread my time evenly!

Anyway, that's me! What I love about this interest is the solving of the problems it constantly throws up. So it's great to be a member of a forum to share problems, ideas and solutions.

Hello,

I joined yesterday. I've been modelling many years. I started off by building a finescale 00 layout in the 1980's and then attempted a fairly ambitious P4 layout in the late 1980's 1990's. However, I found that with the best will in the world it wasn't reliable enough (the stumbling block was the inability to back 20+ wagons into sidings over a crossover and single slip without derailments, even after weighting each of the wagons significantly). The result was a move into the world of EM and I've not regretted that. I've recently converted some of the Hornby Gresley non-corridor coaches. Hornby have not made it easy as some of the inside of the bogies have to be removed for clearance. Preserving the delicate detail - particularly the bogie step-boards was a big challenge but I've found a method that works using one the 'helping hands' devices, a mini drill and a mini milling cutter. From that you'll have gathered that I'm building an ex-LNER (actually ex-GNR) layout. It's set in 1955 and is based upon the line that ran between Nottingham and Derby via Ilkeston. Still at the early stages though and I'm building copper clad pointwork in the hidden sidings and using C&L components for the visible.

Having discussed EM and P4 I can't leave that topic without saying that P4 pointwork is beautiful to behold and I will return to build a small layout sometime in the future. But for getting a bigger layout completed and running reliably EM is the best compromise for me. I only wish that someone manufactured wheels with the width of P4 wheels but with deeper flanges! Until that happens it's EM.

I have other very time consuming interests which often take me away from railways and modelling, the main one being music - I play both in a rock band and in an acoustic act but I'm now retired and trying to be disciplined enough to spread my time evenly!

Anyway, that's me! What I love about this interest is the solving of the problems it constantly throws up. So it's great to be a member of a forum to share problems, ideas and solutions.

Clem,

one member of the S4Soc. uses EM wheels with P4 back to back settings. I once tried it (accidentally, having been supplied EM rather than P4 profile wheels) but encountered some problems so didn't persue it.

Jol

Hi,

Thanks for replies. It feels like a really good friendly society to be part of. :) And Jol, yes I read about that too but the EM wheels to P4 spacings doesn't work due to the width of the wheels and limited clearance available, but thanks for pointing it out.

• RMweb Gold

I only wish that someone manufactured wheels with the width of P4 wheels but with deeper flanges! Until that happens it's EM.

I think Ultrascale once made these ? - Pendon profile ?

Welcome aboard.

PS - If I can lay P4 track on a (well ok 2) big roundy roundy and get trains running at express speed over it, then anyone can but you've made a choice your happy with and that's what matters most.

Hi Clem,

Welcome to rmweb :)

I'm sure you'll meet many new friends here, and don't be afraid to ask questions...

there's always someone on here who knows the answer!

It's a shame you couldn't get P4 to work...

But you only learn what works for you by building something!

Have you seen the latest MRJ?

There's a very small P4 layout called "Crofts Depot" in there....

One of my fave pieces of modelling

might be worth considering something like that again,

should you decide to re-try the challenge?

I myself don't model P4, but yes, you're right, the trackwork looks lovely...

I play music too (of sorts, some would say ho ho)

Good luck with trying to do both hobbies

I need the day to be 34 hours long to fit it all in ;)

Keep us posted with your modelling

Best

Marc

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clem and welcome aboard.

You'll find lots to interest and encourage you here in every scale. I see that you opted away from P4, and I did too, many years ago. However, there are projects here in P4 which appear to be working successfully - check out Jim Scott-Wright's magnum opus Birmingham New Street to see how he works - he also has a very useful website relating to his project.

Regards

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Clem,

Your project sounds really interesting what part of the line are you modelling? Some years back I saw a model ( I think it was made for the opening of "Britannia Park" later to become the American Adventure) based on the Brick Viaduct on the Awsworth to Pinxton Branch. If memory serves me right it was around 30 Feet long.

Good luck with it.

Russell.

• 1 month later...

Hello Clem, looks like your from my neck of the woods, out of interest, did the derailing wagons have Mike Sharman Flexichas compensated suspension ?.

Archived