The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

A Fist Full of Permits or I've Now Got A Scanner

The Stationmaster

• RMweb Premium

That's equally interesting, as the holder I used (if I remember correctly) held 12 slides . . . I'll ask the owner.

JE

I've tried making up an array of 12 slides and the software will not recognize the layout so - no thumbnails.

Actually the scanner is big enough to lay out 20, but it isn't worth it as you have to cut and paste each slide from a (very) large combined image scan.

If your friends scanner works with 12 I'd like to know what was done to make it do it.

This discussion has been useful as it prompted me to go onto the Epson website ad I found a later version of the software & drivers!

Keith

Guest Belgian

It turns out my friend has both a 4990 and its replacement, the V700. It was the V700 which I used which has a slide holder with clips to hold slides and it is the V700 which takes 12 slides - I thought I'd been using the 4990!

Sorry for the confusion. (By the way, he much prefers the 4990 but has acquired the V700 as a back-up!)

JE

Sorry for the confusion. (By the way, he much prefers the 4990 but has acquired the V700 as a back-up!)

JE

That is one VERY expensive "back up". :O

I have been looking at slide scanners, can anyone recommend one please.

It just needs to do slides and negs as I already have an old flatbed scanner for the (few) prints I have.

Many thanks all.

edit, after reading back through this thread I may go for the V500 or even the HP G4050 unless anyone can recommend a smaller unit.

A Quick question Station Master, does it scan the whole slide or does it crop anything off, I have lots of slides that are "side to side" and so cant afford to lose anything off them.

Being a bit of a skinflint, I bought a Tevion FS 5000 slide scanner in Aldi for £30. It probably doesn't give the best quality results, but I'm generally satisfied with it, and have scanned 2,071 slides so far quite quickly. Only another thousand or so to go! I'm after quantity rather than absolute quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4zX72H7p3g

I've only found two problems with it:

I haven't scanned any negatives, but the film holder seems quite stiff to open and close, making it a slow process.

The one that does affect me is that it automatically configures the exposure on start up, and sometimes gets it wrong, at least on my laptop running XP Pro. I have to close the scanning software, unplug the scanner and try again, and sometimes restart the computer. But once working I find it very fast.

• RMweb Premium

It turns out my friend has both a 4990 and its replacement, the V700. It was the V700 which I used which has a slide holder with clips to hold slides and it is the V700 which takes 12 slides - I thought I'd been using the 4990!

JE

The 8 slide scan on the 4990 was the only serious drawback on the reviews of the 4990 as the competing Canon scanner of a similar specification could do 12!

Keith

Archived