Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Fictitious liveries - models, not Photoshopped!

JDW

1 hour ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Hi 25kV,

This is absolutely bonkers and brilliant all in one! I love it. I guess the RTC is a rich source of "what if's", so many ideas and possibilities. I like your lateral thinking though, and the APT bogies kind of suits the Warship.

Modelling wise, it is a lovely kit bash, and a real neat job of the livery elements. A very nice model indeed, in fact very impressive work.

And if you get bored of it in RTC livery, you could always paint it GWR Cucumber Green with big cast GWR logo (like on the 43 power cars) and run it out of Paddington 😁😉. No only joking, honestly.....

Cheers

TT100 Diesels

Many thanks, TT100!  😁  When I first read about the acquisition of D832 for use as an APT traction test loco I immediately created a graphic for my site ... and then it was just too tempting not to have a go at a 3D version.  Turns out I'm not the first to interpret the idea as a model either!

But big cast GW logos ... now there's a thought. 😉

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

The LNER didn't seem to favour Doncaster winners, but I think the only National Hunt winner to be honoured was Brown Jack. I am sure, however, that Brown Jack wasn't chosen because he won the Champion Hurdle in 1928, but because he won the Queen Alexandra Stakes (a 2¾ mile flat race held at Royal Ascot) for six years in a row between 1929 and 1934. When the locomotive was built in 1935, Brown Jack was one of the best-known racehorses in the country. Perhaps not quite the best known, since Bahram (later commemorated by a Peppercorn A2) had won the Triple Crown that year (a rare feat, only repeated four times since then), and Golden Miller had won the Cheltenham Gold Cup for a fourth successive year (and would win again in 1936), and had achieved the unique double (still not repeated) of winning both the Gold Cup and the Grand National in the same year (1934). But the LNER didn't name horses after jumpers, and as far as I know, Golden Miller has never had a locomotive named after him.

Naming a fictional LNER locomotive after a Grand National winner seems as wrong to me as giving it a copper chimney cap would seem to someone else.

Half of the reason for the name would be that it would be recognised as a racehorse for those wanting the new build. There was quite a few people thinking that the new build A1 Tornado should have been called Red Rum. I was thinking of that name too, but wanted to avoid Shergar for the sad end that horse faced in its life. Hence it was more a case of finding a famous racer that people would know as much as finding something that would have been as true to character as others. Tiger Roll was just a decent name and am sure raced elsewhere however, Im now leaning towards Frankel - which did race in the 2000 guineas and that did have other LNE engines named after winners. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Corbs said:

The one and only time I ever bet on the grand national, my horse won, which was COMPLY OR DIE. Not sure how well that would go down on a nameplate... 

It can't be as bad as 'Wolf of Badenoch', named after Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan.

"Alexander Stewart was a vicious, bloodthirsty and brutal character, he abused his power and maintained a rule of terror across much of the Highlands by imprisoning and murdering those who offended him. He was said to be huge in stature with a florid complexion and jet black beard, he accompanied his men on missions to rape and pillage within villages in the surrounding countryside, and was merciless in his actions."

Nevertheless, the name has been carried on at least 3 locos including one currently in traffic.

Edited by Mol_PMB
typo
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

59 minutes ago, Corbs said:

The one and only time I ever bet on the grand national, my horse won, which was COMPLY OR DIE. Not sure how well that would go down on a nameplate... 

Corbs, mate, exactly the same here! It was fate. Although I’m not a betting man at the time I was a compliance inspector on HMRI Compliance Recovery’ projects. 🤣 Happy Days.

• Like 2

On 22/12/2023 at 17:09, Grizz said:

Since they were introduced I’ve bought 8 of the superb Dapol class 68s…..so far.

Then when the bodies became available as spares and inspired by some amazingly examples of fictitious Class 68 liveries by Ben’s Resprays and Rainbow Railways, I have had a go at a few myself. 

The first one was a Caledonian 68, in the current company livery, which I did as a one off commission for a good friend. 

The next is this….a DB (DBAG) Class 268. Fictitious loco and fictitious livery. 268 001-4.

Having spent many years filming DB railways and having a couple of ACME models HO scale DB Class 245s, I based it one those. 
As can be seen it is still in gloss finish after decals were applied but eventually it’ll be in satin for an ex works job. 

IMG_3198.jpeg.23830eae4a3d0052152900fa7669aa34.jpeg

IMG_3200.jpeg.e620c41dd753391579fcda74f98aebdd.jpegIMG_3201.jpeg.77de10f63dbf97937c67633f90a352fd.jpeg

Thinking about it, perhaps it would do for DB (or for another operator in Germany) to acquire the 68s and the redundant TPE Mark 5 sets. As a lot of Germany's own network is still very much accommodating for the type of operations using such traction and rolling stock.  

• 1 month later...
On 24/12/2023 at 08:58, Mol_PMB said:

It can't be as bad as 'Wolf of Badenoch', named after Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan.

"Alexander Stewart was a vicious, bloodthirsty and brutal character, he abused his power and maintained a rule of terror across much of the Highlands by imprisoning and murdering those who offended him. He was said to be huge in stature with a florid complexion and jet black beard, he accompanied his men on missions to rape and pillage within villages in the surrounding countryside, and was merciless in his actions."

Nevertheless, the name has been carried on at least 3 locos including one currently in traffic.

I do feel the new P2 should have a name with Scottish connotations. All the original six did, and they were built for the Edinburgh - Aberdeen route. If we're going for royalty then Duke of Edinburgh surely far more appropriate than Prince of Wales. Or Bonnie Prince Charlie, come to that.

Or if we're going down the Wolf of Badenoch road then how about Sawney Bean?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Johnson044 said:

I do feel the new P2 should have a name with Scottish connotations. All the original six did, and they were built for the Edinburgh - Aberdeen route. If we're going for royalty then Duke of Edinburgh surely far more appropriate than Prince of Wales. Or Bonnie Prince Charlie, come to that.

Or if we're going down the Wolf of Badenoch road then how about Sawney Bean?

You wouldn't be in favour of Duke of Cumberland, then?

• Funny 1

On 31/01/2024 at 18:08, Mainlinefreighter58 said:

Its no secret that as shown in my username, The Mainline Freight livery is one of my favourites, its just so smart so here is my Fictional class 90 'Christine' 90037. 

mainline.jpeg

That 90 looks great, really plausible! I know everyone goes on about Loadhaul from that time, but I always thought Mainline was a nicely subtle, but well-done scheme which suited a lot of British stock. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, Ben B said:

That 90 looks great, really plausible! I know everyone goes on about Loadhaul from that time, but I always thought Mainline was a nicely subtle, but well-done scheme which suited a lot of British stock. 

To be honest, I've never understood why people get so worked up about LoudHaul, even at the time I wasn't a huge fan of it. Mainline on the other hand was indeed rather smart and well put together as you say. Yet that seems to have been almost forgotten about. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

Some of these may be recognisable to anyone who has played the Grand Theft Auto series...

Posted on Facebook by Eleazar Zuñiga 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/358056297614371/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=7067689483317652

424819142_3657141937933202_4106618778447892186_n.jpg

425419665_3657141874599875_7424381346898501793_n.jpg

425433302_3657141911266538_2262592603073003311_n.jpg

Those are really good, the modeller has the right dusty weathering!

Often wondered who the railway enthusiast is at Rockstar... given the Forth Bridge is in San Andreas, the derelict quayside narrow gauge line in Vice City, and apparently theres a Scottish private owner 4-wheeler hidden in Liberty in GTA4.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

A might have been that really should have been. Eastfield large logo blue Class 26, Dapol.N scale example:

20240218_183740.jpg.0ede31872742a6b5ba9dcb98cb3ea692.jpg

Oh that suits very well!  Shoulda thought of it myself.  😁  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Needs ploughs though.  It was a spare Dapol Railfreight grey bodyshell with numbers removed from the cab sides, roof repainted rail gray and sides rail blue.  Quite a simple job really.  May do a Class 27 too at some point if I can scrounge together the parts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, 25kV said:

Oh that suits very well!  Shoulda thought of it myself.  😁  

I'm agreeing with you that the livery suits it very well, not that you shoulda thought of it yourself!

(You really shoulda, though!) 😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, SRman said:

I'm agreeing with you that the livery suits it very well, not that you shoulda thought of it yourself!

(You really shoulda, though!) 😜

Closest I got with a McRat was this 26 - though a pair of 27s top-and-tailing the Glasgow-Edinburgh push-pulls would have been interesting.

26404_sr.jpg.9b30d72b56f2368378a8116729d97acc.jpg

(sorry - photo, not model)

• Like 8

I’ve posted this before but I’ve only just now added the snow ploughs. Probs needs a little weathering on the bogies and fuel tanks. Would like to make it duel braked. 

IMG_3415.jpeg.6f938d5e86eaad98cc1864c39e5b74a3.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg.abe869a3f5adc82f101a4bda1ca9337e.jpeg

• Like 13