colour slide scanner.

LBSC123

Hi all,

My dad has a large quantiny of slides of the South wales colleries, didcot in the 70's, swanage, Radstock the blubell in the early preserved days. however we are wanting to put them onto the computor and thus require a good slide scanner, could anyone recomed a good'n that you could copy slides quickly and to a high standard cost is't too much of an issue as we have a large number to do.

Many thanks,

Will

• RMweb Gold

I've tried several scanners, but didn;t have any great success until I bought one of the new type upright ones:

%3Ca%20href=2278333430_62efea79b6.jpg">

Of course this is a camera setup rather than an actual scanner, but it does much the same thing,

The thing I like about this device is that it gives a reasonable image straight away. The colours are usually close to the original, and it copes with over and under exposed slides quite well.

With more traditional scanners I've found that the initial images were well off for colour. The "quick fix" button in the software often improved things a bit, but however much I tweaked I never got quite as good an image in the time i was prepared to spend as I have with the Veho.

My current thinking is to do a quick and dirty scan of all my slides with this and then possibly get especially good ones (if any) rescanned professionally.

I have noticed that sometimes detail is lost in the highlights, compared with the traditional scanners, but I'm prepared to put up with that for now. If you're interested I can post some examples.

The improvement I can imagine coming soon is for the device to take several exposures at different settings and combine them to improve dynamic range a bit. My current camera can already do this, and in a scanner it would be a real help.

As for quality here's a link to some slides from 1964, scanned with the Veho device from old Gratispool film. These are just as scanned, with no post scan tweaking.

scans

hth

Dave

we are wanting to put them onto the computor and thus require a good slide scanner, could anyone recomed a good'n that you could copy slides quickly and to a high standard cost is't too much of an issue as we have a large number to do.

Unfortunately scanning slides isn't a quick process, you can get auto-feed systems but they are expensive. If it's just a one off you might consider sending off the slides to a company for scanning. I've not used them so can't comment on their quality.

If you want to do it yourself then I'd recommend getting a good quality scanner (Nikon or Minolta) from ebay. Once you've finished you'll be able to sell it on ebay for what you paid for it, the quality scanner don't depreciate.

example

If you do decide to buy then I suggest you read Scantips to work out what all the specifications mean.

Also DON'T use the scanner software supplied. I'd seriously recommend going for VueScan, it's an excellent bit of software with plenty of useful features. It'll save to multiple image formats in one go, auto increment file numbering, multipass etc.

Any queries please ask.

• RMweb Gold

The type detailed in the attached file ( and its updated 7300 version) come VERY highly recommended and won't break the bank either - there are usually a few on eBay available from reputable dealers.

When this scanner first appeared, albeit that's a few years back now, the technical writer at Amateur Photographer magazine thought the blurb he'd been sent was wrong - at that price it couldn't possibly do that resolution! He went on to report that it actually did pretty much what it said on the tin - and was thus a stonking buy. We have one.

• RMweb Premium

When this scanner first appeared, albeit that's a few years back now, the technical writer at Amateur Photographer magazine thought the blurb he'd been sent was wrong - at that price it couldn't possibly do that resolution! He went on to report that it actually did pretty much what it said on the tin - and was thus a stonking buy. We have one.

My almost 10 year old Acer Scanwit 2720 is getting a bit cranky in its old age, looks like one of thes eVeho jobbies is the ideal replacement.

Thanks alot guys,

Sorry for not replying earlier I have been very busy, thanks alot for all the advice, someone who has a slide scanner at the club has offerd to help me out with them, So I'll get them on here in due course.

Cheers.

Will.

• RMweb Premium

My trusty HP5400 flatbed scanner gave up the ghost recently so I set about finding a replacement. This not too easy these days as they seem to have fallen out of favour. However I eventually found an Epson V300 at PC World. Whereas I was not specifically wanting a slide scanner (I had a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual) the Epson has a slide/film adaptor. Scanning at up to 4800dpi I as very surprised as to the quality and colour rendering that this gave, far better (and faster) than the Minolta. Since purchase I have used nothing else. An prior purchase of an 'upright' Photofix was a disaster, colour rendering was to say the least awful and a decent result could not be obtained without a lot of digital fiddling (I use Photoshop). With the Epson it only requires a little manipulation with brightness and contrast. Total cost of the Epson was around ??90.

I have two photo threads (see my signature below) almost all of the colour shots are from the Epson as are many of the later B&W shots. Judge for yourself. I must confess I have always avoided film adaptors on flatbeds in the past. but the V300 surprised me.

Whereas I was not specifically wanting a slide scanner (I had a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual) the Epson has a slide/film adaptor. Scanning at up to 4800dpi I as very surprised as to the quality and colour rendering that this gave, far better (and faster) than the Minolta.

This evening, I used a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual for the first time in over a year. Now I remember why I gave up on it. Over an hour, and it still hasn't finished the first strip of 6 B&W 35mm negs!icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif . I think I might be asking Santa for an Epson!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

This evening, I used a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual for the first time in over a year. Now I remember why I gave up on it. Over an hour, and it still hasn't finished the first strip of 6 B&W 35mm negs!icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif . I think I might be asking Santa for an Epson!

What scanning software and scanner settings are you using? That does sound like an awfully long time!

What scanning software and scanner settings are you using? That does sound like an awfully long time!

I used Minolta's own software supplied with the scanner. I didn't change any settings, so I was using the defaults. Can't remember what any were, except I do remember seeing something like 'Highest resolution available' checked. I had used this scanner before and, while it seemed slow, it didn't seem that slow. The times Richard gives above seem more like what I remember.

However, I have a stack of old family photos to scan, with more to come, and I want a better scanner for that. So, everything considered, I think I can justify something like an Epson V500, which will handle the negs as well.

I use a six year old Epson 2400 fatbed that can do up to four at a time. So far (touch wood) it has done the business and have scanned probably in the region of 10K slides. I use it in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop Elements and it takes approx. 3 minutes per slide.

• 8 months later...

I'd like to buy a scanner to scan my own slides but have been advised that most scanners do not cope very well with Kodachrome slides - apparently the make-up of Kodachrome emulsions causes colour casts when scanned. Does anyone have experience with scanning Kodachrome? Any scanners that seem to cope best with it?

Regards

Graham

I'd like to buy a scanner to scan my own slides but have been advised that most scanners do not cope very well with Kodachrome slides - apparently the make-up of Kodachrome emulsions causes colour casts when scanned. Does anyone have experience with scanning Kodachrome? Any scanners that seem to cope best with it?

Regards

Graham

I've an old Canon Slidescanner and managed Kodachrome slides without any noticeable colour cast. As I've only used one scanner I can't really compare it to other scanners. However as mentioned before a lot of it will be down to the software used rather than the scanner itself. I'd always recommend Vuescan from http://www.hamrick.com/ . This has a full functional trial version it just puts a watermark on the photo. This will allow you to tweak any colour corrections, in fact on the scan settings you define what make of transparency you are scanning, one of the options is Kodachrome.

Regards

Graham

Graham

I use a Nikon Coolscan IV. It has a 'Kodachrome' setting. Most of my colour film is Kodachrome, although I have Orwo (dire!, but it was cheap), some very old Agfa and occasional Fujichrome (going off very rapidly...) and Ektachrome.

Paul Bartlett

Archived