DCC starter set.

Jack00

As a very kean railway modeller, i am almost tempted to cross over to the "dark side".

but a few questions first.

- If i was to buy a Bachmann DCC 00 gauge starter set, which contains an E-Z command controller. would a DCC fitted and sound chipped loco run with the basic E-Z controller? or would i have to purchase a controller that had the appropriate buttons to control sound- such as horn command. etc

Jack.

Thanks in advance...

It should be ok for most of the the basic sound functions but I believe the ez command station is limited to functions 1-10. Some sound decoders have functions above this so wont be accessible. If sound is an important factor for you may want to investigate other options. i.e Lenz or NCE.

The EZ would work, but its an very basic "toy trainset" controller. It can access functions F0 to F8 (not to 10 as tender suggests). Some sound decoders will put some of the sounds on higher function numbers, though the basics like "horn" or "whistle" are usually on F2.

For a quick "toe in the water", the EZ might be OK. Don't pay a lot for it, and expect to be selling it on shortly. Either because DCC isn't for you, or because you want to go DCC and get a more capable controller.

- Nigel

thanks

a basic "toy" starter would cost about £150 ish. my local supplier sells a Bachmann dynamis. which is around £105 guessing by almost double the amout of "buttons" then the functions would be greater... such as all sound functions. i looked for the NCE and Lenz aswel.

jack

• RMweb Premium

thanks

a basic "toy" starter would cost about £150 ish. my local supplier sells a Bachmann dynamis. which is around £105 guessing by almost double the amout of "buttons" then the functions would be greater... such as all sound functions. i looked for the NCE and Lenz aswel.

jack

The full set of functions currently used are AFAIK F0-F28, so any controller that does not support that would be off my list of possibles.

The NCE PowerCab is an good starter system and is about £135.

Keith

I have an NCE for my larger round the loft layout. I also have a twin circle of track on a board which i like to run. Now to save unplugging the NCE i bought a DCC EZ Bachmann controller.

Whilst it operates the sound and lights etc it does not feel the same as the NCE in terms of playing around with the CV settings and other functions.

EZ does what it says on the tin (box) but is too basic. I am glad i got an NCE first as it shows the potential of DCC so much better - especially to a new comer.

Paul

Ta for the feedback.

I've chosen the Bachmann dynamis as it includes the lot and a DMU! (sorry to go against the advice )

So all I need to do is tidy the layout up and get chipping!

Jack.

Archived