Small N Gauge layout 4x1

dmundy

This is the start of my N gauge layout. It will be 4x1, so nice and compact. I have avoided the temptation of creating a TMD. The proposed track plan can be seen below. All suggestions are welcome. It is very much in the planning stage at the moment.

All track work is going to be Peco Code 55 and all points will be electrofrog to ensure good running from smaller locos.

I am thinking of keeping to the BR green era.

Passenger traffic will be handled by DMU's and the occasional railcar.

Freight will be dealt with by a Class 25 and Class 08.

The layout will be analogue as I have a gaugemaster controller than is going unused.

post-12390-0-58342000-1340133609_thumb.jpg

Would the signal box be the other side of the line, and futher to the right (to allow the signalman to pass/collect the tokens) ?

Stu

Cheers Stu.

These are the sort of suggestions that are really useful. I didnt even think of this at the time. I will make the change on my plan.

really appreciate it.

You might want to consider a run-around loop (tricky in the space you have, I know). Otherwise it is hard to see how incoming goods will be shunted to the shed. The layout looks a bit small to have a pilot.

Rather than have a very short loop on stage why not carry two tracks into the fiddleyard, one being the running line and the other the loop? That way you can handle a more realistic length of train and avoid the need for a local shunter which would be very unrealistic at a small terminus like this, the train engine would do the shunting. You could make the difference between the loop and the main more obvious by having cleaner ballast on the running line.

Not sure what you mean by having the loop in the fiddle yard. Do you mean to imitate a loop without actually creating one? Essentially just 2 tracks just going into the fiddle yard?

post-12390-0-46646900-1340143468_thumb.jpg

Archived