chaz

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting weathering mini - tutorial there Chaz and one I can follow except for the fibreglass pencil use. 

I can't stand fibreglass pencils as all the break off fibres cause me to itch dreadfully so I've banned them.  I'll have to use a stiff toothbrush or something similar, to remove any excess weathering.

That's something I've not considered before but I like the subtleness the pencil use gives.  Maybe a cut down paint brush to stiffen up the bristles would also suffice, I feel a test coming on.

I've used the talc technique before for van roofs applied with one of my wife's discarded makeup brushes as they are very soft and full so the laydown is very good.

I normally add artist fixative to seal all the powder in place but I'm assuming that as your paint was tacky there is no need for that in your case?

If I get some time tomorrow I'll have a go,

best regards

I used to hate the fibreglass brushes too for the same reason. But I was given the following great tip:soak the refills in a dilute PVA solution (i left mine for a good 24hrs) , take out leave to harden off on some plastic or tin foil. The brushes not only last longer but the residue is a dust rather than short fibres - much better for fingers.

I used to hate the fibreglass brushes too for the same reason. But I was given the following great tip:soak the refills in a dilute PVA solution (i left mine for a good 24hrs) , take out leave to harden off on some plastic or tin foil. The brushes not only last longer but the residue is a dust rather than short fibres - much better for fingers.

Quite right Chris, but the soaking may not be necessary, the last packet I bought (from one of those roundy-roundy Expo tools displays) was already done.

Dock Green is all checked off and stacked ready for loading in the morning. It's all arranged in my workroom so that we can take the big stuff first. The checklist runs to 3 sides of A4 and Sue and I spent a couple of hours working through it. Tools that had been "borrowed" to use for modelling needed locating and packing and locomotives got a wheel clean - the track will have to wait until all the baseboards are up (in the house they are stowed on their sides). As this is our fourth show I am fairly confident that nothing will be forgotten........erm.......

• RMweb Premium

On tour with a variety of layouts, we've forgotten:

Buildings (very noticeable)

Stock (part not all, so not crucial)

Drapes

Parts of the display

Fiddleyard cassettes (almost catastrophic, see below)

The last one nearly meant we could run no trains and we were 300 miles from home. There then followed some creative engineering involving thick card, a glue gun and PECO flexi. Worked fine the entire weekend. We've since converted the fiddleyards to turntables...

On tour with a variety of layouts, we've forgotten:

Buildings (very noticeable)

Stock (part not all, so not crucial)

Drapes

Parts of the display

Fiddleyard cassettes (almost catastrophic, see below)

The last one nearly meant we could run no trains and we were 300 miles from home. There then followed some creative engineering involving thick card, a glue gun and PECO flexi. Worked fine the entire weekend. We've since converted the fiddleyards to turntables...

That will do!  :nono: Stop it right now.  :nono:   Just don't. :nono:  Nah, I won't have forgotten anything, cos' I've got a list......a long one...... :sarcastichand:

Warley 2012, we were exhibiting St. Aldhelms Quay. Tea break on the M42, the services just after you leave the M5. John discovered he had left ALL the stock in North Devon. Nobody else had bought anything else as none of us model the S&DJR in the 50s. A Homer Simpson moment.... Doh and double doh!! After unloading at Warley, John then made a return trip home, whilst we enjoyed a meal and a beer in the pub. There's a moral there somewhere.

That's quite enough of that, Sir. Any more of this morale-sapping propaganda and words will be said. Harsh ones.  :rtfm:

My next posting is likely to include any snaps I have managed to get at Guildex.

Edited by chaz

I didn't quite finish telling of the Hudswell Clarke bigger buffer saga...

Having filed the squared back of the buffer rams round to get them out I obviously had to find another way to fix them. I used very short lengths of brass tube glued on the spindles.

P1030886-2700x651_zps993fbea3.jpg

Photo shows the retaining collar in place but not yet glued. I am pushing the ram in to show the fitting more clearly. To glue the collars in place I pushed them further onto the spindles, put a drop of superglue on the revealed end and then slid the collar back. It ocurred to me that I ought to hold the rams in so that the collars were away from the back of the buffer housings while the superglue cured. Any glue in that area might well lock the buffer solid. Ah Ha.....Rubber band!

P1030885-2700x453_zps7293140f.jpg

Oh, the indignity!

Edited by chaz
  • Like 5

One that got away...

P1030887-2700x338_zps2992faba.jpg

You won't see this beasty at Telford. I was hoping to get it finished in time but failed. So near....

P1030888-2700x433_zps191dbb87.jpg

It's an LNER Diag. 87 general van built from an excellent D & S etched brass kit. It's a very similar vehicle to the better known CCT but that, of course, had doors in the ends. The livery is a bit of a guess, these vans might well have been painted in passenger liveries but info' on them in BR days is hard to come by. In any case I intend to make it very grimy so it hardly matters.

I did the lettering using Fox transfers. When I came to do the numbers I found that on my sheet of regional letters there were no "E"s left. I hit on the wheeze of stealing some "E"s from the sheet of wagon code names. "CEMENT PRESFLO" was a code that I am unlikely to need - it died in a good cause!

I should have it done for the next show (details later).

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

The only thing that got forgotten was an 8mm socket that we use to tighten the bolts in the joints of the lighting beam. No matter, some poor soul had to use the small adjustable spanner, but it's OK - there are only 48 bolts.....

Progress report

The Peckett "Susan" which has the ESU keep-alive is a reformed character. it worked all morning at Telford from 8:30, when I put it on the track to test it, until about 1:00pm before it stalled on a length of really dirty track. Then it resumed work and didn't stall until I took it off to give the Hudswell Clarke a go, just after 4pm. I'd say it's sorted.

The ESU keep-alive is an expensive item BUT if you need small to fit in a tight space it might be the very thing.

• Like 1

Nice to meet up today Chaz and yes the Peckett performed beautifully but then it was called Susan which also just happens to be your good lady wife's name.

Hope to make a return visit tomorrow as I got called back home early afternoon.

Regards

I met several of you RMwebbers at the Telford show yesterday and I have to say what a nice, friendly bunch you are!  Several people were taking photos and I would be pleased to see them posted if you'd care to put them on RMweb, either here or in your own topic.

Dock Green worked very well, a few little niggles but then there always are. Putting the layout in a van and driving over a hundred miles will always provoke the odd problem or two, but my preparation now includes bringing some spare locos and wagons so any dodgy item can be subbed. Suprisingly another wagon, which had previously given no trouble, started to short-circuit the DCC system with rubbing brakes. It provided a fairly spectacular firework display as momentary contact between wheels and brake shoes made vivid sparks and a slightly longer touch shut down the DCC.

I will post more stuff, including some snaps, next week when the dust has settled.

Chaz

PS   - did you see that superb 9F (pre-production sample in bare brass) on Lee Marsh's stand? - want one, WANT ONE, WANT ONE!!!  (The question is will it fit on Dock Green?  Time to get the tape-measure out and do some checking.)

Edited by chaz

PS   - did you see that superb 9F (pre-production sample in bare brass) on Lee Sharp's stand? - want one, WANT ONE, WANT ONE!!!  (The question is will it fit on Dock Green?  Time to get the tape-measure out and do some checking.)

I hope your sitting down when you hear the price, :swoon: .

Martyn.

P.S.  Nice to see you yesterday Chaz, although I introduced myself to you, you were continually swamped by what looked like " Dock green groupies " so I did not get the chance to speak at length to you.

• RMweb Premium

Chaz in all his glory!

post-6675-0-63403800-1410121732_thumb.jpg

Enjoyed watching the layout and listening to it too. Chaz made a good case for DCC sound. Shunting with the Dingham couplings was good too. No hand of god with a pointy stick and flash light, no standing in front of the audience blocking the view.

Stock and buildings looked superb, excellent weathering - very natural tones.

Was Dock Green the smallest layout there? If so it did a very good job of standing its ground against the 'big boys' - always something moving and interesting to view.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Was Dock Green the smallest layout there?

No - that would have been "Chard Creamery" (layout number 9) which was only 7ft 6ins and so half the length of Dock Green.

Nice to see the Maroon Ixion Fowler on the bridge which came from EDM - we sent several potential customers to have a look !

See this topic (post #180) http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78328-ixion-0-gauge-fowler-diesel-loco/page-8