chaz

Chaz

I've not been around on here much recently due to lots of other commitments so have been trying to catch up on your superb layout. And there's a lot to catch up on!

Love the latest photos from the Fareham show, especially the low level shots.

Stephen

Chaz

I've not been around on here much recently due to lots of other commitments so have been trying to catch up on your superb layout. And there's a lot to catch up on!

Love the latest photos from the Fareham show, especially the low level shots.

Stephen

Thanks for those comments Stephen. I too like the low level shots as they definitely look the more realistic and allow extraneous background detail to be omitted or edited out BUT choosing a higher viewpoint does give a better impression of the track layout and the way the buildings, bridges etc fit around the scene. For that reason I take both.

I had meant to shoot some video footage at Fareham but found that a one day show didn't give enough time to do this. it takes far more time to shoot video. The still shots were either taken before the doors opened to the public, or late afternoon when the public had mostly left. I also got a few by mingling with the visitors, some of whom were also taking pictures.

Chaz

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress on the milk float.

post-17766-0-83303700-1463491612_thumb.jpeg

post-17766-0-71038000-1463491627_thumb.jpeg

I was originally intending to paint in the dark blue Express Dairy livery, but research showed me the signwriting included a royal warrant. A bit more digging and I settled on the United Dairies colours instead. So, burnt orange with white lettering. I've commissioned some suitable transfers, as well as some crates and bottles. I need to work out the glazing and final details, but otherwise I think it's coming along nicely.

• Like 9

Some progress on the milk float.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I was originally intending to paint in the dark blue Express Dairy livery, but research showed me the signwriting included a royal warrant. A bit more digging and I settled on the United Dairies colours instead. So, burnt orange with white lettering. I've commissioned some suitable transfers, as well as some crates and bottles. I need to work out the glazing and final details, but otherwise I think it's coming along nicely.

That looks very nice. Would fifties milk crates be wood or metal, I wonder? Certainly not plastic...

Chaz

They would most likely have been formed of wire. I have dim memories of wire crates on the floats around when I was little. The 3D printed ones I've sourced via ModelU are closer to the later plastic form. Reproducing the open wire mesh style would be a challenge, I think.

The bottles are the right shape, though!

They would most likely have been formed of wire. I have dim memories of wire crates on the floats around when I was little. The 3D printed ones I've sourced via ModelU are closer to the later plastic form. Reproducing the open wire mesh style would be a challenge, I think.

The bottles are the right shape, though!

"I have dim memories of wire crates..."   Hmm, yes, me too, with wire loop 'andles with tubular hand grips round the wire like you find on some buckets? (or is my mind just indulging in a little embroidery?). Not, I hasten to add, that I would expect these on a 7mm model.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

post-17766-0-77458400-1464188852_thumb.jpeg

I've found a suitable figure to stand - or sit - in as a milkman. He just needs painting. Today I glazed the windscreen and the rear porthole, and applied the custom transfers. Just door glazing and mirror and wiper to fit, and the load of course.

• Like 8

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I've found a suitable figure to stand - or sit - in as a milkman. He just needs painting. Today I glazed the windscreen and the rear porthole, and applied the custom transfers. Just door glazing and mirror and wiper to fit, and the load of course.

Hi Heather,

I have a milk float too and mine is driverless. Where did you source yours from?

Dougal.

Where did you source yours from?

He came from my stash. He was from Phoenix Scale Miniatures, reference OF27, which I think are marketed by S&D Models now.

He needed some reconstructive surgery to tuck his legs in further and to lose enough of his rump that he would actually appear to be sitting on the seat. This figure comes with separate arms, so once he was seated I could adjust the arms so he grasps the steering wheel.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That's quite a transformation. Looks the part really well - I feel quite guilty that I've done very little modelling in the last month...

Chaz

That looks very nice. Would fifties milk crates be wood or metal, I wonder? Certainly not plastic...

Still had galvanised wire crates when I was "on the milk" circa 1970.

Used to take out 2,000 bottles, in 100, crates on the Saturday run.

At the start of the run we would take the bottles from right behind the cab, working back, then every so often we'd sort and seperate the empties crates from the fulls......

Then there were a couple of crates of "steri" and some "CI" (Channel Islands) or "Gold Top" not forgetting the cream, and eggs ........... as I delivered in a working class area of Cardiff, yoghurt and other dairy inventions by 'Johnny Foreigner' were unknown.

One morning I lost five crates by going too fast doing a 'U' turn the wrong way around the end of a cul-de-sac.

The registration of my float was AUH 8B - sad, or what ?

It didn't have doors to the cab. We once had a new one on trial that had doors and each round it was used on the men complained because the doors slowed them down as milkmen always ran, never walked - "job an' finish see !"

We would have a 'tranny' on the dashboard listening to Radio 1, especially Kenny Everett on a Saturday morning, and recall when he was 'pulled up' for making comments about the wife of a Minister of Transport.

Funny how a model milk float brings the memories of a lifetime ago flooding back.

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

"I have dim memories of wire crates..."   Hmm, yes, me too, with wire loop 'andles with tubular hand grips round the wire like you find on some buckets? (or is my mind just indulging in a little embroidery?). Not, I hasten to add, that I would expect these on a 7mm model.

Chaz

We still have one, these days it gets used at Christmas & New Year to hold extra bottles of chilled white wine out in the cold by our back step so the missus has enough space in the fridge for solids to offer our guests...

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

How about the crates of little bottles for the schools I remember at Infants school they were about a third of a pint.

Chaz after all the wonderful modelling you have been showing us I cannot see why you should feel guilty 

Don

How about the crates of little bottles for the schools I remember at Infants school they were about a third of a pint.

Chaz after all the wonderful modelling you have been showing us I cannot see why you should feel guilty 

Don

"I cannot see why you should feel guilty"  Well I was sort-of joking but if I go in my room and see all the unfinished models, both 7mm and On30, i do get a twinge. If I go up into the roof for something I am confronted by loads of trees, some finished, some only started, but none planted!

I suppose it serves me right for having another hobby that gets me rushing out with my Nikon everytime the sun comes out. If that baffles you have a look at...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83228-spring-is-sprung-butterflies-are-out/page-10

• RMweb Gold

I can understand feeling guilty if you have spent  lots of money on a hobby which is then abandoned but one point of a hobby is it is done for pleasure and so doing something else for a while does not mean it is abandoned. Being single minded about model railways could make one a rather dull character.

It does seem to be odd when one comes across threads that have just stopped being updated years ago you kind of wonder what happened.

Don

• RMweb Gold

well, Kevin

we need photographs!!!

How else will Heather get the handles right...?

How else will we know that she has got the handles right?

best

Simon

This is the Milkie's hand held basket I mentioned (complete with a couple of alternatives to give a sense scale only of course), very handy it is too in the winter months...

Sorry about the pixelated camera phone pic, also no plans or working drawings available for those modelling in S7!

Kevinpost-10498-0-24526100-1464694631_thumb.jpg

Edited by Strathwood
  • Like 4