chaz

She is looking very nice Chaz. Pllease remind me what brand and shade of crimson you used as I think a Peckett will look rather good in it.

On the masking tape front, I have long used the Tamiya tapes with satisfactory results. Like Simon, I also spray the main colour first and then do the black bits with a brush. I think there is a tendency among some people to forget just how useful brushes with bristles can be.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

She is looking very nice Chaz. Pllease remind me what brand and shade of crimson you used as I think a Peckett will look rather good in it.

On the masking tape front, I have long used the Tamiya tapes with satisfactory results. Like Simon, I also spray the main colour first and then do the black bits with a brush. I think there is a tendency among some people to forget just how useful brushes with bristles can be.

Regards,

Chris

see post 3995

Regards,

Chris

Chris - Just to save you searching back - undercoat of Revell #84 matte (leather?) - top coat Humbrol #20 - gloss crimson.

You will be interested to know that my Ixion Hudswell Clarke is cured. The replacement spring that you gave me did the trick and it no longer derails running down the gradient bunker first. Hoorah!

Excellent show this weekend, Trainwest at Corsham with some cracking layouts, including possibly the best two 2mm finescale layouts I have ever seen, St Ruth and Wadebridge. Someone visited the St Ruth layout and had a 2mm loco that had RC - yes really! How small would the battery have to be?

I will post a few Dock Green snaps from the show soon.

Chaz

A few photos from me ....

attachicon.gifDSC_0052.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0060.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0088.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0091.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0097.JPG

Excellent, thanks for those. You captured a rare view of the Fowler on its test run after it came back from the menders.

Chaz

PS - new camera? I would guess so judging by the file numbers.

Edited by chaz

Four more photographs from Corsham.

P1060160-2%20600%20x%20442_zpsxr26htdf.j

P1060161-2%20600%20x%20343_zpss9kfad4g.j

P1060162-2%20600%20x%20421_zpszqjdytkn.j

Is it reasonable that the buffers are almost as big as the smokebox door?

P1060167-2%20600%20x%20421_zpskhpstspp.j

I have a few more for later.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 5

Chaz, just for fun I downloaded your last pic into windows photo gallery & converted it into B&W. Apart from the rather bright highlights on the nearest lorries front mudguard it looks totally realistic! A quick retouching of said mudguard in Paint completes the illusion!

Keith

Chaz, just for fun I downloaded your last pic into windows photo gallery & converted it into B&W. Apart from the rather bright highlights on the nearest lorries front mudguard it looks totally realistic! A quick retouching of said mudguard in Paint completes the illusion!

Keith

Are you teasing us? I think you should post your version of the snap. :yes:

OK Chaz, here you go (I didn't want to seem presumptious & just upload it in the earlier post)

Bear in mind this was literally a two minute retouch of the lorry mudguard & Paint isn't a particularly good tool for doing such work. But I really like this shot, & think your wagons look terrific!

95f77f41-e6d6-4c86-bf8f-31f2b6947bb5_zps

• Like 7

OK Chaz, here you go (I didn't want to seem presumptious & just upload it in the earlier post)

Bear in mind this was literally a two minute retouch of the lorry mudguard & Paint isn't a particularly good tool for doing such work. But I really like this shot, & think your wagons look terrific!

95f77f41-e6d6-4c86-bf8f-31f2b6947bb5_zps

Thanks for posting that - I agree it does look good in B & W. Thanks for the kind comments about the wagons. I did enjoy weathering them, especially getting the wooden minerals to look like a state almost innocent of paint...

P1060177-2%20600%20x%20416_zpspwadl2sg.j

Chaz

• Like 13

Guest Isambarduk

"I think there is a tendency among some people to forget just how useful brushes with bristles can be."

Well maybe, Chris, but I have tried and tried for several decades now and I have never been able to achieve as satisfactory a finish with a decent brush (Windsor & Newton, Series 7) as I can with my faithful old Badger 150 airbrush. 

So, for those who have a similar incompetency with a brush, take heart, there are ways to spray almost all the larger parts.  For what it's worth, and in the spirit that it might help others who are occasional amateur painters, this is what I do:

• In building a model, I think about how I am going to paint and line it.  With this in mind, I make up assemblies that will all be one colour (eg smokebox/chimney, boiler/firebox) or largely one main colour (eg cab, running plate) and unite them after all the painting and lining is finished.  This makes life much easier or, in my case, possible
  • I spray all the assemblies with primer (two-part etch, usually)
  • The first parts to be sprayed are the red buffer beams and the red parts of the vacuum and steam heat pipes (and the insides of the frames, if appropriate); see below re an undercoat for red
  • I mask off the red areas (Copydex [as a cheap substitute for Maskol], Post-It notes, Tanya masking tape, etc) and I then spray the black
  • For assemblies that have black and a body colour, I mask off the black as best I can but I'm not as fussy as I am with the red because the black can usually be easily touched up - with a brush.  I then spray the body colour. 
    Warren will say (and he is right) that I should be using cellulous to achieve a fine gloss finish, and I have done this reasonably well recently.   However, I normally use enamel and if the gloss body colour (gloss is far preferable for lining onto and for the application of transfers) is a bit feeble, which is often the case with reds and maroons, I spray a matt or satin undercoat that is close, or close-ish, first.  In this way, only a light gloss topcoat is needed to bring up the colour and I do not finish up having to spray a thick layer of 'tinted varnish' to achieve this
    If the body colour is not gloss, I spray a very light coat of gloss varnish, just enough to turn the finish to gloss
  • To 'tidy up', I use a lining pen to demark a clear boundary between the colours and then I touch in any missing areas with the brush; this is nearly always with the black, which covers well
  • After lining and applying the transfers, I finish my models in satin (Floquil Flat Finish, by choice) and I do not weather, but this is merely my preference

I hope my notes will be helpful to others who have similarly been frustrated with their efforts at painting, even with a decent brush.

David

Here's one I painted earlier ...

AB_Calderstones.jpg
More details in captioned pictures at: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/Andrew-Barclay-Fireless.htm

Edited by Isambarduk

I have found a few spare minutes to work on the Dinky milk float conversion. Here's where I am at the moment…

post-17766-0-63893700-1460558556_thumb.jpeg

Work done so far has been to disassemble the model, strip as much paint as possible (that old enamel stuff they used in the olden days is tenacious stuff), fill the worst of the play damage and generally tidy things up a bit. A quick coat of primer completes the bodywork for now. I found some ideal wheels that match the real thing quite well from an Oxford Series 1 Land Rover surplus to requirements. The same donor vehicle provided suitable seats for the cab, and a steering wheel. I've ordered some milk crates and bottles from ModelU, which I'll collect and pay for at RailEx at the end of May.

Then I need a suitable milkman driver, and to work out the livery. Glazing and sundry details like wiper and mirrors will complete the model. Unfortunately, it's not a quick project as I fit it into spare time between the umpteen other projects I have on the go!

• Like 8

As you wish, but I might forget to tell you! ;)

(Gestapo accent) "We have ways of rewarding you, Englische."

Also we might have to cope with an attack from the Provisional Wing of the Dinky Toy Collectors Club.

Chaz

Edited by chaz