chaz

Could you tell me which one please Dave? They all look OK on my computer.

Chaz

Chaz

You have made two posts today on this thread prior to this one - at 0821 and 0844. The earlier post referred to is the 0821 which contains no photos. Take a look via an iPhone  or iPad and you will see what we see! 

Dave

Chaz

You have made two posts today on this thread prior to this one - at 0821 and 0844. The earlier post referred to is the 0821 which contains no photos. Take a look via an iPhone  or iPad and you will see what we see! 

Dave

OK Dave. I think I have mended the post - please have a look and confirm that the snaps are there for me please.

Chaz

As you might know from previous postings my modelling focus is now on my American On30 layout, The Furness Valley Railroad, and Dock Green is stored away until next year. In the interim I will continue to scan through the Dock Green photos folder on my computer for stuff that might interest you. Lightroom tells me that there are 4,764 snaps to choose from - many of these have been posted before but have vanished from this topic due to the action of Photobucket. I am quite happy to carry on posting a selection with a few notes as a way of restoring some of the content that has been lost.

I have featured the locomotives and am currently working my way through some of the smaller details on the layout. After that I thought I might work my way through some of the rolling stock if there is any appetite for this? Click on "like" to say yes to this.

Chaz

• Like 16

Details around Dock Green 4

I asked Peter Harvey to do some brass etches for streetlight lantern tops for me and he did a superb job.

post-9071-0-74508600-1501866310.jpg

They were quite a challenge to fold up and I had to think carefully about how I was to avoid distorting the delicate shapes. Using blocks of hardwood to push the folds to the angle needed did the trick. I decided that the lantern tops should be plated rather than glazed.

post-9071-0-63128500-1501866349.jpg

I made up a post out of brass tube with a base section from the next diameter up. I drilled the post near the top (use a jig block to drill through round tube - one snug hole for the tube and another at right angles for the drill) and added a ladder bar. Two small collars cut from tube finish the ends of the bar.

post-9071-0-03058400-1501866463.jpg

I imagine that these were originally gas lamps and when The Borough of Dock Green went electric they kept the lanterns and put bulbs in them. I put GoW bulbs in them so that they should not look empty but they are non-working - I dislike working lamps, they can end up making a layout look like a Christmas tree.

post-9071-0-04177300-1501866539.jpg

The bridge near the covered goods platform is too narrow for anything to stand between the side walls so I mounted two lights on the parapet. I did intend to add some conduit for the wiring but never got around to it.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 7

Details around Dock Green 5

post-9071-0-71803000-1501922620.jpg

The photo above is a view looking along the headshunt back into the yard. To the right is the steep grade supposedly down to the industrial estate - it really leads to a lowered section of the cassette fiddle yard. When I decided that one of the bridges over the yard should be a single track railway line (across which no train will ever run!) I thought that it should have bridge track rather than a length of Peco SL-700BH.

post-9071-0-92079100-1501922703.jpg

L V Wood’s “Bridges for Modellers” was very useful as a reference source. I glued down timber baulks with the BH rails carried in Peco Individulay chairs. The baulks are held apart by timber cross-pieces and held to gauge by long steel bolts - represented on my model by plastic rods.

Not all bridges were like this - some bridges had a trough into which norrmal ballasted track was laid. I thought though that a length of bridge track would be an interesting detail.

Chaz

• Like 8

Just seen the Railex 2018 thread and noticed Dock Green in the line up. I've put the date in my diary :-)

Steve.

Yes, we will be there. In fact now might be a good time to say what shows we are doing next year.

In date order...

Basingstoke March 10/11

Aylesbury May 26/27

Burgess Hill Sat Sept 1 (one day show)

Peterborough Oct 20/21

Chaz

• Like 4

Another hut - this one sits in the shadows between the bridge and the goods canopy.

post-9071-0-29729000-1502032236.jpg

I made a simple shell of Kappa board (very useful for quick structural work) and then planked it with strips of my favourite 0.6mm ply'.

The window frame is plastic (I can't remember which brand) and the corrugated roof is from the Slater's range. 

A bit of Photoshopping replaced a distracting background with a sky. I would like to do more of that but it is very time consuming and eats into making-models time.

Chaz

• Like 2

Did that kind of sky appear in steam age Dock Green? Seems a bit blue to me!

Best

Simon

Oh yes definitely, on May 14th 1958 and again in June 1960 for a couple of days.....

On May 14th 1958, I was busy being 4 months old, in Oxton, about 250 miles to the north-north west, so you'll forgive me that I might have missed it.

It's a shame you can't be more specific about the 1960 dates...

Best

Simon

On May 14th 1958, I was busy being 4 months old, in Oxton, about 250 miles to the north-north west, so you'll forgive me that I might have missed it.

Best

Simon

I was nine years old in '58. In 1960 I would have been sitting the eleven plus. This was explained to us as a test but there was no pressure attached. I thought it was a doddle. By then we lived in WGC, so some 17 miles north of where Dock Green is supposed to be.

Chaz

• Like 2

It was always my intention to add some advertisement hoardings to the bigger road bridge. I had thought about making my own posters on the computer but when we “did” the St Albans show Trackside Signs were there with a large range. 

post-9071-0-17450600-1502092929.jpg

Mr Trackside Signs let me borrow a couple of hoardings to try them out and for the rest of the show Dock Green displayed them (discretely fastened with BlueTack).

I ordered three sets of posters; when they arrived they were nicely glued to thick boards. 

post-9071-0-24209300-1502092979.jpg

I thought something more substantial than a pair of thin sticks would be required to fix them to the bridge so I made up some proper supports using stripwood. I added some thin card to the joints as they proved rather weak.

post-9071-0-63868100-1502093061.jpg

Once painted (with thinned enamels - more of a stain really) the card blends in with the wood.

post-9071-0-07155900-1502093190.jpg

No model of a busy London street looks complete without adverts.

Chaz

• Like 7

It was always my intention to add some advertisement hoardings to the bigger road bridge. I had thought about making my own posters on the computer but when we “did” the St Albans show Trackside Signs were there with a large range. 

attachicon.gifP1050862-1.jpg

Mr Trackside Signs let me borrow a couple of hoardings to try them out and for the rest of the show Dock Green displayed them (discretely fastened with BlueTack).

I ordered three sets of posters; when they arrived they were nicely glued to thick boards. 

attachicon.gifP1050947-1.jpg

I thought something more substantial than a pair of thin sticks would be required to fix them to the bridge so I made up some proper supports using stripwood. I added some thin card to the joints as they proved rather weak.

attachicon.gifP1050953-2-1.jpg

Once painted (with thinned enamels - more of a stain really) the card blends in with the wood.

attachicon.gifP1050975-1.jpg

Chaz

I hope the parapet walls are up to carrying the load (especially in high winds).

I hope the parapet walls are up to carrying the load (especially in high winds).

Erm.....err.......

Yes or course they are! The Kappa board bridge structure extends right up the side and had proved strong enough to resist any exhibition hall draught. 

Chaz

Best

Simon

Ahh, thats why I could not remember that sunny day, I wasn't even born.......

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

Erm.....err.......

Yes or course they are! The Kappa board bridge structure extends right up the side and had proved strong enough to resist any exhibition hall draught. 

Chaz

Ah, I was referring to a prototype situation!

• Like 1

attachicon.gifP1050975-1.jpg

Chaz

Interesting that the two brands in those particular adverts are still with us today. Stout & chocolate biscuits, the stuff of life...!!  :)

If one of the June 1960 sunny days happened to fall on a Sunday, there was every chance that 3 year old me might have walked the short distance to the local park with my dad (Sunday was the only day he had off) to watch the last of the steam engines (& the new fangled Westerns & other diesels of course!) rushing past on the adjacent GW main line. Then if the timing was right on the way home he'd sit me on the local humpback bridge parapet as one of those steam locos roared through underneath - I can remember the excitement to this day!

Keith

• Like 2

,Guinness is today served at ice cold temperatures, almost everywhere, and in fact it's not because people enjoy it it's because busy pubs don't have the time to draw a decent pint of the stuff!

And another thing.......(I'm in danger of going into rant mode here, l must keep taking the tablets!).......when was the last time anyone saw a Penguin chocolate bar as thick as that one!

• Like 2

.......when was the last time anyone saw a Penguin chocolate bar as thick as that one!

Or as cheap...!!

40 years ago I was taught how to pour a 'good' pint of Guiness by a very pernickity pub owner who gave me a job for the summer holidays. In all honesty, I can't stand the stuff!

Keith

• Like 2

Some16 years ago, my lad, then three-ish would spend the odd afternoon in our neighbours' study, watching the Cartoon Network. I collected him after about an hour and he was COVERED in chocolate. I asked what he'd been doing, fearing for their furniture.

"Oh, John gave me a really nice biscuit, all crisp & crunchy and chocolatey, wrapped in silver paper"

"It must have been a Penguin"

"Don't be silly, Daddy, it was a chocolate biscuit"

Detail request please.

Working from memory how about the small wood yard with saw located along the layout front edge.  Loved the "T" chest to hold the off-cuts.

I thank you.

Best