chaz

It's fortunate that the site owners here allow this. On another major modelling forum I frequent, Britmodeller, the admin never have due to 'security concerns'. Those concerns have now led to numerous threads that have been posted for over ten years being rendered worthless overnight, thanks to Photobuckets ransomware attack - because in effect that is exactly what they've done....

Keith

Well if it is a sort of ransomware it won't work with me. I will not pay Photobucket a penny for a service that was free. It's a shame that their action has done such damage to this forum, and I'm sorry if my mistaken faith in their continued service has contributed to this. I don't think there is any more to be said on my position. 

Chaz

Chaz

Re posting photos, click the "reply with attachments", click "choose file", decide whether to take a photo, or use one from your library (any folder accessible from the device you're using),browse to the desired file, "attach this file", and then "add to post"

Hth

Simon

It certainly does help Simon. Thanks for that, I will test it out by posting a snap later.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

You may have to reduce the file size of the photos first Chaz.

If I'm posting from the phone I take the photo full resolution and then use an App on my Android phone to make a smaller file size copy which is then posted. The App works on tablets too and I suspect Apple products have something similar.

On the laptop I copy the photos into a 'low res' folder and reduce the file size of them all in one hit. If you use RMweb on a PC or laptop you can upload blocks of 10 files to rmweb in one hit.

If I'm posting from the phone I take the photo full resolution and then use an App on my Android phone to make a smaller file size copy which is then posted. The App works on tablets too and I suspect Apple products have something similar.

On the laptop I copy the photos into a 'low res' folder and reduce the file size of them all in one hit. If you use RMweb on a PC or laptop you can upload blocks of 10 files to rmweb in one hit.

I certainly will. In fact I have always done so - RAW files from my Nikon download at approximately 29MB! (It's sobering to reflect that the first computer hard drive that I owned had a 40MB capacity - not enough space for two Nikon photos! But at the time I wondered how I would ever get near filling it.)

The Panasonic compact I use produces JPEGs of about 5MB. So both types have to be resized. I do all my photography work with Adobe Lightroom which will "export" files to any size I set. I have been in the habit of setting the export facility, with forum use in mind, to a long edge of 600 to 800 pixels, giving a file size of about 300KB. These don't look too clever on my computer screen but seem fine on the forum (although a bit soft-edged compared with the originals).

I will investigate whether LR can do the resizing in batches - it's such a powerful program I will be surprised if it can't.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Per file Chaz but it might be higher now. I generally post photos that are reduced down to the 100kb - 300kb size range like this:

attachicon.gifrps20170701_151151.jpg

Seems adequate for forum use?

Thanks Chris, that's useful information. I think you are right about file size - 100K 300K seems about right - too big and many people will have to scroll to see all the shot on their computers.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

Testing....testing.....

Here are a couple of photos taken at last month's show in Wilton (Salisbury).

post-9071-0-08465100-1498921890.jpg

They show the excellent milk float that Heather K produced from a Dinky Toy original.

post-9071-0-22268100-1498921939.jpg

Quite a transformation and very fifties - now anyone want the later milk float (as featured in a Bond movie)? Make me an offer!

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 9

Well that worked fine thanks to SimonD's very clear explanation of how to do it. So I am airborne again and photos will again be posted. 

I set the long side to 800 pixels in LR and these two came out to a tad over 300KB but they look fine and posted with no trouble. 

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

For those with no suitble image manipulating software  the Image editor on RMweb works fine for me although you do need to adjust the compression according to the image. Busy images need to be compressed more. I can open a second Rmweb window to run the image editor if I find I want to post something in a thread so dont lose my place.

There is also the advantage once a photo has been uploaded it is available for other postings. Simply click on my media at the top of the Reply to this topic then select attachments and you have all the images you have uploaded available. 

Don

Although I have photoshop, for quick images for the web, I use Irfan View. It's free, and can display/edit many different types of file. It has various resizing algorithms, and can do batch editing, and include your copyright, if needed. It is pretty easy to learn, once you've found where things are, and you can use some of the photoshop filters, etc. if you want to get fancy It remembers your last settings wen you save images, so most of my web jpegs are saved as 400KB, and long size of 600pixels. Also, it is easy/quick to colour correct for florescent lighting/flash, etc. If you download it, give yourself an hour or two to play with it, get it from http://www.irfanview.com/ trust no other site, and get the plugins from the same site.I've used it for years, from when the guy first released it  (I guess it is free lunch after all ...).

Although I have photoshop, for quick images for the web, I use Irfan View. It's free, and can display/edit many different types of file. It has various resizing algorithms, and can do batch editing, and include your copyright, if needed. It is pretty easy to learn, once you've found where things are, and you can use some of the photoshop filters, etc. if you want to get fancy It remembers your last settings wen you save images, so most of my web jpegs are saved as 400KB, and long size of 600pixels. Also, it is easy/quick to colour correct for florescent lighting/flash, etc. If you download it, give yourself an hour or two to play with it, get it from http://www.irfanview.com/ trust no other site, and get the plugins from the same site.I've used it for years, from when the guy first released it  (I guess it is free lunch after all ...).

Good information.

In fact I use Lightroom to manage all my photography work including my folder structures. I have popped a folder called "0 resized for forum" into my photo folder. The "0" guarantees that it always sits at the top of the list above the other folders that start with "2006", when I bought my first DSLR. I don't use Photoshop myself as the editing tools in LR are more than adequate for what I do with my stuff. I had to buy it again when I changed from a Windows laptop to a Mac but it's so powerful I judged it worth shelling out for.

Chaz

There is also an editing program on rmweb that I use for all my posts. I use it to crop and resize getting as close to 1mb as I can. By saving them in the same file as the came alphabetically they tack up little space and are ready for use on other sites.

There is also an editing program on rmweb that I use for all my posts. I use it to crop and resize getting as close to 1mb as I can. By saving them in the same file as the came alphabetically they tack up little space and are ready for use on other sites.

Now then lads - suggestions please for good photo-hosting sites that are free and that enable 3rd party hosting.

Flickr.

I've been a Flickr user since at least 2008. The free option has a terabyte of storage, virtually unlimited uploads, and tons of ways to share the images to places like forums. If you care about stats, then there's a paid for option, too.

The elephant in the room for some folk is Flickr is (currently) owned by Yahoo, and they prefer you to set up a Yahoo account to use the service. It's not exactly onerous, but can be an understandable problem for some.

As others have said, I always upload images, suitably resized of course, directly to the forum. Unless the forum host's server has a serious problem, all images remain in place and accessible.

Flickr.

I've been a Flickr user since at least 2008. The free option has a terabyte of storage, virtually unlimited uploads, and tons of ways to share the images to places like forums. If you care about stats, then there's a paid for option, too.

The elephant in the room for some folk is Flickr is (currently) owned by Yahoo, and they prefer you to set up a Yahoo account to use the service. It's not exactly onerous, but can be an understandable problem for some.

As others have said, I always upload images, suitably resized of course, directly to the forum. Unless the forum host's server has a serious problem, all images remain in place and accessible.

Thanks for that Heather. In fact I have no further use for a photo hosting site as I now upload snaps to RMweb direct from folders on my computer.

I have an external hard drive to which is backed up hourly any changes to the files on the computer. Magic!

You will have seen the pictures of the excellent milk float - quite spot on for fifties London. You certainly transformed a Dinky toy into a first class model.

Chaz

Heather,

I'd make sure you have backup copies of everything you have on Flickr.

Quite right. In fact, I don't upload large images to Flickr. Initially this was to limit the damage caused by someone stealing something and using it as their own, but now it's just habit.

Chaz, thanks for the kind remarks on the little float. It does look right at home on Dock Green, doesn't it!

• RMweb Premium

I made an RMWeb folder and for uploads and put all resized photos in there before uploading here. Recently I have started using sub-folders so that I know which photos are in which thread, I find it makes backtracking easy,should the need arise.

A newcomer to Dock Green, seen at the last show (Salisbury).

post-9071-0-54046100-1499067244.jpg

The Dock Green Industrial Estate management were persuaded that they needed something more powerful to cope efficiently with the grade up from the estate lines to the exchange siding so they bought this.

It's a very good model and runs as well as you might expect from Minerva.

I don't like coloured wheels - too "pre-grouping" for my taste (yes, I know industrials ran with all sorts of liveries - some of them fit for the fairground - but Rule One applies!) so I have made a start with some minor alterations to the finish on this loco'. Everything below the footplate is now black. I'm not sure about the body colour which I think is best described as dark pink and I may mess about with this before I weather it. It will also need a set of nameplates. As all the estate steam locos have female names and it ought to be redolent of power I have chosen Persephone.

Chaz

• Like 11