chaz

• RMweb Premium

People can't be a#$ed to wait for a decent pint of Guinness, takes 15 to 20 minutes to pour a pint in Ireland, but by eck it's worth the wait. Non of that frozen to death stuff over there, I only saw it in one bar and when I went back the following year it had gone.

• Like 1

I only saw it in one bar and when I went back the following year it had gone.

Blimey no wonder it had gone.... i`d never leave a pint alone for longer than a minute.....

Hat,coat, gone........

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

If it takes 15 minutes to pour, and you drink one every 15 minutes, it's merely a matter of timing...

The bars used to have them half poured out and ready to go at the back of the bar. At its best Guinness is superb.

Detail request please.

Working from memory how about the small wood yard with saw located along the layout front edge.  Loved the "T" chest to hold the off-cuts.

I thank you.

Best

The factory yard is on the list Barnaby and I've already sorted out some snaps. It won't be next 'cos I've already written the script for #6 but it can be #7.

Now boys can we please desist from further postings about bl00dy Guinness, I never liked the stuff much (preferred Newcastle Brown or McEwans Export when I was a student).

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Premium

It's on the list Barnaby. It won't be next 'cos I've already written the script for #6 but it can be #7.

Now boys can we please desist from further postings about bl00dy Guinness, I never liked the stuff much (preferred Newcastle Brown when I was a student).

Chaz

Now then did you used to drink a pint bottle in half pint glasses or did you invert a bottle in a pint glass, slowly withdrawing the bottle as the glass fills?

Both were bizarre rituals of the hardened Newcastle Brown drinkers I knew.

"hardened Newcastle Brown drinkers"

Erm, well actually, I found that if you drank more than a couple hardened is not the effect you got - quite the reverse.   :O 

• RMweb Premium

Now then did you used to drink a pint bottle in half pint glasses or did you invert a bottle in a pint glass, slowly withdrawing the bottle as the glass fills?

Both were bizarre rituals of the hardened Newcastle Brown drinkers I knew.

Not heard about inverting the bottle in a pint glass, Over the years I have consumed quite a few in a half pint glass. Always used drink at least 4 pints in a session, when I were a lad.

The youngsters today have no class, they drink cold and from the bottle.

• Like 1

Not heard about inverting the bottle in a pint glass, Over the years I have consumed quite a few in a half pint glass. Always used drink at least 4 pints in a session, when I were a lad.

The youngsters today have no class, they drink cold and from the bottle.

Not forgetting the girly bit of lime stuck in the top......

Regards, Deano. (real ale or Guinness any day!!)

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 1

"Now boys can we please desist from further postings about bl00dy Guinness, I never liked the stuff"

Dear heavens! next he'll be saying he doesn't like Panniers...

Erm.....I hope this isn't to going to be too much of a shock but.......

• Like 1

In a doomed attempt to stop the flow of alcohol....

Details around Dock Green 6

After Peter Harvey had made such an excellent job preparing the brass etches for the street-lamps I approached him to see if he would do the same for some LNER “Scotch Barrows”. I appealed for help on the LNER Encyclopedia forum and someone kindly posted a dimensioned drawing for me and I passed this on to Peter.

post-9071-0-91695600-1502179263.jpg

When the frets arrived I measured them and found them to be spot on to scale.

post-9071-0-04354400-1502179310.jpg

Peter is very thorough and many of his very accurate parts are very delicate. The wheels on the real barrows were probably cast iron - to get the characteristic spokes Peter provided four parts to be laminated together and a fifth to form the rim. that's a lot of very small parts to deal with.

post-9071-0-27855800-1502179384.jpg

The end rails are laminated with three layers to get the scale thickness. Peter made the centre layer longer at the bottom to form four pegs to fit into matching holes in the deck - and they did!

post-9071-0-23498200-1502179434.jpg

I bought etches for nine barrows from Peter. This number would fit a full sheet and wasn’t that much more expensive than a single test etch. As I had already seen the artwork and knew what was coming this was sensible.

post-9071-0-29766800-1502179473.jpg

The barrows are arranged at every show - they are not fixed - so their positions vary on and around the goods platform. my experience is that if you fix details like vehicles they will look fixed.

Chaz

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Those barrows (I didn't know they were called 'Scotch Barrows') are so characteristic of pictures of LNER and BR(E) stations but as far as I know not previously catered for in model form - I wonder whether he'd do them in 4mm scale as well?  Although I can see the wheels in particular would be almost impossible to make like that in the smaller scale!

Anyway, they're beautiful models!

Those barrows (I didn't know they were called 'Scotch Barrows') are so characteristic of pictures of LNER and BR(E) stations but as far as I know not previously catered for in model form - I wonder whether he'd do them in 4mm scale as well?  Although I can see the wheels in particular would be almost impossible to make like that in the smaller scale!

Anyway, they're beautiful models!

Thanks for the comment Steve. As to whether Peter would do them in 4mm you could ask him - I think dropping the artwork down to 4mm might be possible but I would look for a simplified wheel (half etching the raised detail might be a good move) - they were quite a challenge to put together in 7mm. 

There was another type of barrow, very similar, which had a towing triangle on one end and a hook on the other end. They would have been towed around by little petrol tractors (Listers?). The ones on Dock Green would be moved the hard way.

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, yes I might ask him.  I see the ones he's done for you don't appear to be on his web site for general sale.  I think there were as you say various kinds, I seem to remember some with only one wheel at the front which was free to slide on its axle to give a kind of 'steering' - perhaps they were the ones that were towed?  The characteristic thing for me is the 'fences' on the ends which you can see in so many photos of station platforms etc.

Thanks, yes I might ask him.  I see the ones he's done for you don't appear to be on his web site for general sale.  I think there were as you say various kinds, I seem to remember some with only one wheel at the front which was free to slide on its axle to give a kind of 'steering' - perhaps they were the ones that were towed?  The characteristic thing for me is the 'fences' on the ends which you can see in so many photos of station platforms etc.

"some with only one wheel at the front which was free to slide on its axle to give a kind of 'steering' - perhaps they were the ones that were towed?"

No, I think the ones that were designed to be towed had a swivelling axle rather like that on a farm wagon with an A frame to drop over the tractor hook.

I did say to Peter that I wouldn't mind if he did sell them to others.

Details around Dock Green 7

When the track was laid on the layout there was a small area at the front between the railway overbridge and the canal in which to put some foreground detail. I considered several features and settled on a factory yard with various details.

post-9071-0-67308700-1502399945.jpg

Above is the best general view of the yard that I can find. With the layout stacked away I can’t shoot new photos so I’m choosing them from my back-catalogue.

post-9071-0-24836900-1502400016.jpg

Panning from the left the first detail is actually a fenced area next to the factory yard. 

post-9071-0-46974000-1502400059.jpg

Brambles, weeds and some discarded timber.

I will post the further models to the right of this bit next.

Chaz

• Like 10

Details around Dock Green 8

I made the rusty corrugated fence from Slater’s corrugated HIP which I distressed with a round needle file. I mounted the sheets on wooden fence posts with Peco track pins to represent bolts. Hopping over the fence (!) we are in the factory yard. 

post-9071-0-88058300-1502431236.jpg

The steel rack sits in the corner of the yard. Behind the rack is a chain-link fence - Scalelink etched brass chain-link is supported on fence posts made from square section plastic bar. I bent the top by briefly heating over a candle flame and then setting the angle on a simple card jig.

post-9071-0-40451400-1502431331.jpg

The supports of the steel rack were soldered up from pieces of brass section, assembled on another card jig. A jig is always worth making if you want a number of assemblies to come out the same shape.

post-9071-0-01923200-1502431460.jpg

Some of the racked “steel” is actually brass section. Soldering this to the rack supports joined these up into a single unit. I added more “steel” of plastic sections. I painted the steel with Humbrol Metalcote and polished this with a cotton bud once it was dry and added a few traces of rust. 

post-9071-0-34195200-1502431610.jpg

Chaz

• Like 1

I have just found this photo...

post-9071-0-66414000-1502432608.jpg

It shows an early try-out of the various details that I was preparing for the factory yard. I judged that the wooden hut in the centre was making the area look cluttered and removed it. It found a new role further along the layout. 

Chaz

• Like 3

Those oil drums deserve a post...  and then I can say how good are the dribbles, just like last time!

Patience, my friend. All good things come to he (or she) who waits.....

Having taken a sabbatical from RMWeb for 15 months (and from modelling for 12 months  :sad_mini2:) , I return to find that Photobucket have messed things up for you a lot.  Your explanation now explains to me why on other threads I see ominous messages about Photobucketscam on various threads.

I directly post images on here and have always done so.  Don't use Irfan View as when I bought a new desk top, AVG Free complained bitterly about it being a potential virus threat.  I downloaded another resizing program onto the desk top, but can't tell you what it is as I am currently on my wife's laptop!

I've caught up as far as page 174 and glad to see fresh images of Dock Green appearing.  Having seen it at Telford (was it really 2014  :O ??!!), I've always highly regarded this layout.

All the best.

Yes, I am revisiting some of the stuff that has been lost. Should anybody want further details of anything featured they only have to ask!

As I said above I use Lightroom for all my photo work. The export facility is excellent; the output can be set to any size JPEG and I now set the long side to 800 pixels.

I would prefer not to rehearse my feelings about Photobucket - it's water under the bridge now and there's nothing to be done except rue my mistake in using it.

Chaz

Finally made it to page 180. Great stuff. I really liked the ABC Spotters guide to the locomotives of Dock Green. For someone whose preference is for Southern and ah hem Western steam, I'm softening to this Eastern stuff. Must be the quality of the modelling

Thanks for those comments Paul.

I have made the point in the past that the layout is not 100% - there are numerous compromises which I made for various reasons - not the least of which is that it's just too small. It should be at least three times as long and twice as wide to operate realistic train lengths. That was obviously out of the question and visually it wouldn't have gained anything - in fact it might well have lost some impact and I couldn't have got it finished!

I have been accused of hating the Great Western - I don't. What I don't like is what I call the RM GW BLT. There was a time when Railway Modeller's "Layout of the Month" was often a model of a model. A GW BLT which always seemed to have a platform with a run round loop, a bay, a siding with a goods shed etc etc because that's what you did - not very imaginative. All very cramped and bearing no resemblance to a real BLT - which are usually spacious. I'll shut up now.

Chaz