Just had a look through and as Andy Y said a long time ago; what a super first post, all the rest are brilliant as well, some great photography, who took the pics for MR?

I don't normally buy it but I will next Month.

Bodge.

Thanks, Bodge,

All the pics of Loudwater that are on here were taken by me, the Model Rail ones were Chris Nevard. They are really something else ( as you would expect ! ) . They really bring the layout to life. I won't post any on here though as i'll probably get into trouble !

Dan.

• RMweb Gold

What a lovely layout of an interesting prototype, and one that never should have closed - how useful that link would be today (especially for me to travel from Devon to my brother's in High Wycombe!). I'll also look out for the Model Rail feature.

What a lovely layout of an interesting prototype, and one that never should have closed - how useful that link would be today (especially for me to travel from Devon to my brother's in High Wycombe!). I'll also look out for the Model Rail feature.

Thanks Captain Kernow, 

It should never of closed, you hear about it every now and then in the local papers about it re opening but i dont think it ever will. There is too much built on now.

Short sighted BR !!

• 4 months later...

WOW! Just came across the thread.

I used to live in Flackwell Heath as a youngster and my fathers friend who worked on the railway (sadly passed away now) actually had a short spell at Loudwater Signal Box and apparently, at the tender age of 5, I was taken inside there. Fennel Woods were a big part of my cycling days as a nipper and I have vague recollections of the railway being there and the gates.

Not a lot there now unfortunately, but you can still walk part of the old track.

Loving the layout.

Steve

WOW! Just came across the thread.

I used to live in Flackwell Heath as a youngster and my fathers friend who worked on the railway (sadly passed away now) actually had a short spell at Loudwater Signal Box and apparently, at the tender age of 5, I was taken inside there. Fennel Woods were a big part of my cycling days as a nipper and I have vague recollections of the railway being there and the gates.

Not a lot there now unfortunately, but you can still walk part of the old track.

Loving the layout.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Glad it brought back some memories. Another former signalman there who still lives in Wycombe has helped us out alot with all the workings that went through there and through the Model Rail article a few months back another former signalman got in touch with us aswell. Seems like it was a popular place to work !

The footpath through the woods is still there altthough its quite overgrown at the station end as most people now just use the trackbed as a footpath now.

Unfortunatley the station site is now a soulless industrial estate.

Dan.

• 4 years later...

Hi There,

Any chance of an update on recent developments on the Layout?

I am planning a layout based on the southern end of the branch. It will depict the junction with the relief lines at Maidenhead, the initial curve on the branch and a simplified version of  Maidenhead Yard. The station will be just off scene at one end.

I pretend that the main lines did not exist, and run the relief lines and branch working timetables with just a token representation of the main line expresses diverted to the relief lines! 

I saw your layout at an exhibition last year and hope that my effort can be 50% as good!

In summer 1962 Old Oak Common was allocated six or so standard 2-6-4 tanks. Do you know if any of these reached the branch standing in for the usual 61xx tanks?

Best regards

Paul

• 1 year later...

Hello,

The summer 1965 I worked as a guest/trainee with Broom&Wade (air compressors) in High Wycombe. I lived in Flackwell Heath in what I remember was called an Industrial Hostel, probably some leftover from WW2.

I passed Loadwater station every day and especially walking home from the pub uphill hearing the sound of the big 2-10-0s(?) from afar. This was before the M40 was built.

From what I remember there was often a large loco parked there. It might have been a big prairie or a small.

I have just bought a Heljan 5100 in 0 Gauge and some other stuff e.g. a level crossing from Peco. When I unpacked it I realised that I of course should try to do something around Loadwater at least the signal box part and level crossing. So I found some info and the picture of the station in Wikipedia and also found that someone actually had made the whole station some years ago.

As a preparation to this possible project I have som questions:

Q1: On the Wikipedia picture

https://www.google.com/search?q=loadwater+station&rlz=1C1BLWA_enSE597SE597&sxsrf=ALeKk02BH6hWLWLRAuxEImsm60PJj5cCcw:1608138851359&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=-oNc_huYN1KLtM%2CPwgSPraIbQj3tM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQxt9oFQwtJ2lpyByyh6u7WD5BwdA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj36O-HgNPtAhUjl4sKHWoiBacQ_h16BAgVEAE#imgrc=FGXl97hkI-trHM

is Flackwell Heath behind the viewer? Looks like that from this map and my memory.

https://www.routeyou.com/.../loudwater-railway-station

Q2: What engine type was ”allocated” there in the summer -65

Q3: Is the Signal box of any specific GWR type and are there any drawings possible to obtain?

Q4: Are there any documentation of the other buildings; Station building and warehouse.....?:

Q5: Is there a model of the signal box type buyable in any scale?

Q6: Possible contact with the persons who made the model mentioned in Railway Forum?

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/profile/14728-chandler-d/

Q7: Are there any more descriptions of this layout?

Q8: Seems that Risborough & District Model Railway Club had it on exhibition back in 2012. Maybe some pictures or other info is obtainable from them but I have no access to them

I try to get hold of info so I am sending this out rather widely, hopefully not too wide:

Rmweb incuding the builder, GWR group on F/B, 0 Gauge Guild, High Wycombe Model Rwy Club contacts.

Are there any other sources (City Library, History foundations for railways …)

Looking forward to any respone.

hakan.hessel@telia.com

Håkan Hessel

Johan Skyttes v 372

12559 Älvsjö (Alvsjo)

Sweden