Prodigy express...

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone would be able to help a complete noob to the world of DCC.. I should firstly mention that really the only reason I want to go DCC (at least for now) is to run sound equipped locos (or loco really, as I'll only be able to afford one for a while!)

I've spent many happy (?!) hours searching & reading through this & other forums on here, & many dealer & manufacture websites over the past weeks & after my 'research' I've concluded that my upper budget limit for a controller limits me to either a Bachmann Dynamis or a Prodigy Express. I've more or less discounted the Dynamis as the 'vibes' seem to suggest that its not really a very popular system, & I don't actually fancy the joystick controller & would much prefer a knob type. Not that keen on wireless either tbh.. So that seems to direct my choice to being the Prodigy Express....

Therefore, my question is, can anyone tell me whether it would be able to control all the sound functions on either a Dapol Class 22 or a Heljan Hymek fitted with a Howes sound chip? According to the blurb on the MRC site it has "16 accessory functions to handle multi-function sound system" - would that controll all the sound functions on either of the above locos ? If not, what ones would be 'missing'?

I guess I could also throw out the question to include Bachmann Class 24/25's & 37's with factory fitted sound decoders as well, as I'd hope to add one of each of those to the loco roster in future.

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice.

ATB

Keith

This earlier discussion may be of use....

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48707-gaugemaster-prodigy-express/

UK pricing is far away from where the Express was only two years ago (approx. £80 in US $ in the USA).

It's now being sold here for the same prices as the NCE PowerCab, another entry level system, but is less capable.

There's a discussion about the two systems here from a few years ago.

This earlier discussion may be of use....

http://www.rmweb.co....rodigy-express/

UK pricing is far away from where the Express was only two years ago (approx. £80 in US $ in the USA).

It's now being sold here for the same prices as the NCE PowerCab, another entry level system, but is less capable.

There's a discussion about the two systems here from a few years ago.

Thanks for the reply Ron. I'd read the thread on here that you linked to, but neither that or the other link addresses my specific query about whether the Prodigy will control all the sound functions on the locos I'd mentioned.

As to the NCE Powercab, the problem for me is that again it doesn't have a knob for speed control. I'm worried that I won't get on with controlling trains with anything else, as a knob is intuitive to me as it's all I've ever used for speed control of model loco's. And I'm absolutely useless at driving a car or flying an aeroplane with buttons on my son's Playstation - but don't have problems with a wheel or yoke in the real things !! Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a local stockist that would have an NCE cab for me to try....

Cheers

Keith

Hi

Firstly, the NCE PowerCab does have a knob for speed control, all be it a thumb operated rotary wheel.

As for the Gaugemaster (re badged MRC) Prodigy Express, it can operate 16 functions F0 to F15 inclusive which should cover all UK sound fitted locos.

The PE manual (MRC version) is available here if it helps... http://www.modelrect...und/0001408.pdf

Hi Brian, thanks, but to my mind a thumb operated rotary wheel seems as unintuitive as buttons or a joystick. And without being able to try it I'm loath to make the sort of investment needed only to find I keep crashing a very expensive loco into the buffer stops! As I said in my initial post, my main (sole at the moment) interest in DCC is to run one or two sound equipped loco's - so the extra features that NCE may have over the Prodigy don't really interest me. And that's unlikely to change as I'll only ever have room for the small shunting plank I'm building at the moment, or a very slightly extended version of same. So your comment that the Prodigy's functions should cover most UK sound loco's is what I wanted to know. I have the MRC manual bookmarked, I suppose what I need to find is a copy of a manual for a Howes sound decoder - I'm off to have a look now!

Thanks again for the replies

Keith

Hi, I bought a Prodigy Advance earlier this year and i am very happy with it. I have 10 sound fitted locos, some are SWD chips some Bachmann factory fitted and one Legomanbiffo. I can have all 10 ticking over or running at the same time. The Express isn't as powerful as the advance but should/will be well capable of running a couple of sound locos at least....Peter

Hi Peter, thanks, that's great - just what I needed to hear! Could I just confirm that all the important sound functions work with the Express?

Cheers

Keith

Well i haven't got the Express, But the hanset is very similar and i'm 99% certain the Function keys are the same as the Advance. Why not give Gaugemaster a call, They will be helpful.

Thanks again for the replies. I've now found the list of sound functions for the Howes sound decoders on their website!! So I've got all the info that I need & it does indeed appear that the Express can cover all the sound functions I need.

Cheers

keith

Hi again

The P'Express is a cheap'ish starter system and will do all you currently require of it.

Do remember it cannot read back CV values, so you will have to write down these if you make changes.

I would say "think of the future". If you can afford it or save up the extra pounds (£) then seriously consider the PA2. It can read back CVs and has 29 functions available (F0 to F28) plus 3.5Amps to track. It can be obtained new for around £199 from a select few UK based on-line retailers e.g. The Signal Box. Rochester :secret:

Hi again

The P'Express is a cheap'ish starter system and will do all you currently require of it.

Do remember it cannot read back CV values, so you will have to write down these if you make changes.

I would say "think of the future". If you can afford it or save up the extra pounds (£) then seriously consider the PA2. It can read back CVs and has 29 functions available (F0 to F28) plus 3.5Amps to track. It can be obtained new for around £199 from a select few UK based on-line retailers e.g. The Signal Box. Rochester :secret:

I would agree. IF you can go the extra money then the extras are worth it. However if thats all you can afford then go for it as it does what you require....Peter

Thanks again for the replies. Unfortunately a 'nice' surprise from our wonderful Revenue & Customs yesterday to inform me they have managed to c*ck up my tax payments for the third year running & insist that I pay them back again for their mistake means that whatever I buy will be around about Christmas now!! Ah well, c'est la vie!

Cheers

Keith

Archived