Mk1 SO vs TSO

Marcyg

Hi all. I'm trying to gather info so I can build a Northampton cobbler set. The info I have says the make up had Mk1 TSOs. Externally, are there any differences between these and normal SOs in the blue/grey era? Many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi there

I think I'm right in saying a true SO was a relatively rare beast with 2+1 seating

Most open seconds were TSOs with 2+2 seating as modelled by Bachmann - a true MK1 SO has not been modelled in RTR if I recall correctly - so TSOs are what you want I think!

Cheers

Phil

Hello.

As pointed out, a SO usually had 48 seats whereas a TSO had 64. Not sure about external differences between the two but some FOs were declassified to SOs which might be the simplest way to make a SO in model form. But you're looking for TSOs ...

Hope this helps,

David.

• RMweb Premium

SO (Second, later Standard, Open) might appear to be the definitive coding for an open-plan coach given that its first class counterpart was an FO. A number of earlier vehicles were coded thus but as noted by others these had 2+1 seating with a slightly offset gangway and which allowed as much personal space as the three-a-side compartment style of earlier Mk1 SK (Second Corridor) coaches which had two pull-down arm rests dividing the bench seating. The seating was thus more or less on a par with first class but a little less well upholstered.

The main builds however employed the former LNER designation TSO (Tourist Second / Standard Open) and seated 2+2 with a central gangway in less generous personal space. That seating matched later SK builds which had three armrests dividing the bench seating into four instead of three seats. TSO remains the vehicle design of choice with 2+2 seating right through to the current era despite the T (for Tourist) being effectively superfluous.

There are detail differences between the various builds of Mk1 stock which one of our resident experts can no doubt provide chapter and verse on but they related to the actual drawings and design (Lot Number) of the build rather than the internal arrangement of seating. Doorways and lavatories remained in the same places and (to the best of my knowledge) to the same dimensions. The plumbing and wiring on the coach ends was likewise unaffected by the internal configuration and despite SO vehicles having a slightly offset internal gangway the end vestibules were central to match other Mk1 stock.

Over time there have been numerous rebuilds and reclassifications of some vehicles and in many cases the external appearance of these did/does differ from the original builds which may carry the same designation. Coach diagram numbers are different however and in some cases new Lot Numbers were issued for rebuilds. The usual considerations apply - a little research pays dividends when representing specific vehicles at a particular time. Don't forget also that bogies were changed at times and this again was unrelated to internal layout and that also later builds had unpainted aluminium-frame windows rather than wood painted in the livery of the day.

Archived