Class 23 Baby Deltics in as-built condition, with headcode discs.

locoholic

Just back from Warley where I was able to see the forthcoming baby Deltics in the flesh, I also spoke to someone on the Heljan stand who informed me that these locos would be with us in January but I forgot to ask him which January!!!

Ian h

• RMweb Gold

Just back from Warley where I was able to see the forthcoming baby Deltics in the flesh, I also spoke to someone on the Heljan stand who informed me that these locos would be with us in January but I forgot to ask him which January!!!Ian h

I had a good look at them...having seen all of them in the flesh way back when in that condition.Liked what I saw.,what's your considered opinion,Ian ( one to another!)

Im glad they're looking good, I've been looking forward to these for some time, did anyone manage to get any photos of them? I too am a bit frustrated with the delay I had budgeted for a November release to avoid my house purchase clashing so I have had to reduce my pre-order to two. It doesn't help that the covhops and Class 26/0 are due in Janurary as well.

Did Heljan have any decorated samples of the 26/0?

No you can't! Most of mine I've actually removed.

Stewart

Whilst I don't possess one of these locos as they have not been released yet I do have two or three other Heljan diesels (15, 26 & 27) all of which I can turn the lamps on and off as well as adjust the brightness should I need, which models can you not turn the lights on and off?

Oh' forgot to ask, are you using them on Analogue or DCC?

Whilst I don't possess one of these locos as they have not been released yet I do have two or three other Heljan diesels (15, 26 & 27) all of which I can turn the lamps on and off as well as adjust the brightness should I need, which models can you not turn the lights on and off?

Oh' forgot to ask, are you using them on Analogue or DCC?

DC, I have no need for DCC.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

I am with Stewart regarding lights on early diesels. They were only supposed to be on at night or in extreme bad weather conditions. The bulbs for them were 20 watt maximum, so even on in daylight it was hard to see if they were illuminated or not. Look at colour photos of diesels in the 60s and 70s and see how many of the little lights behind the headcode disc are on and how often you can tell if the lights behind the roller blinds of a 4 figure headcode or dmu destination panel are working? If they do show up they are a yellowy colour not bright white.

Up until the 70s it was not common for the red tail light to be on but a oil tail lamp carried when running light engine. When the use of the red light started only one not both would be switched on, again only when light engine not when hauling a train.

If you look at WR locos up to about 1970ish they had one red light and one white light each end. These would be switched on when shunting within station limits as a red light and a white light displayed both ends of a loco was the headcode for shunting. Your shunting locos should display this headcode as well, for all regions.

Like Stewart I remove the lights form my 60's diesels, as the normally would be off in daylight and if not hardly visible. I find running my layout in the dark/night-time even with the layout lights on causes to many accidents as I cannot see to move around the garage without bumping into something. And if the weather is foggy or blowing a blizzard I tend to not venture out to the garage as it would be too cold. :)

For those who model post 1980s then imitating 93 Searchlight Regiment, Royal Artillery is OK.

Archived