Triang class 81

How good a model can be made out of it? I just bought a body from the bay of e and now looking at how to motorise it and detail it. Unfortunatly, I don't have the sort of money to buy a Bacchy 85 just to dismantle it (as much as I'd love to) so what are my other options? Thanks

I've done/am doing a couple of Trix/Liliput 81's (admittedly not Triang but similarly quite basic mouldings) and they can be made to look pretty good IMO. I've motorised them using Heljan 26/27/33 motors and bogie towers squeezed into a scratchbuilt plasticard chassis and Hornby Class 86 bogie frames. There are a couple of photos on my Class 83 thread.

The body is the Class 81 part as the bogies are largely Class 82. This is because Triang had been planning a Class AL2 (82) model before they took over the Hornby Dublo AL1 (81) tooling. They must have already tooled the bogie sideframes for the AL2 so by using them in the acquired bodyshell so they were able to use standard Tri-ang motor bogie parts. In a way they made the model more accurate as the original Hornnby Dublo model used the Class 20 bogie sideframes. At least the Triang-Hornby version has AC electric ones, even if the wrong pattern!

The HD/TH body always looked a little short to me, but I only have a Liliput/Trix shell and no Triang-Hornby one to compare it to. It's possible that if it's the right length it may be deeper in the shell. Does anyone have any more info on this aspect?

I had both the HD and Trix versions. The HD model certainly didn't have class 20 sideframes, they were cast, the AL1 were plastic and were different.

Both were quite accurate models for their time and the Trix ones were better, but the wheelbase a bit too long. I converted my last Trix 81 to an 85. the other 6 or so went in the club shop about 20 years ago. when new, they were expensive, as kits they were £4/19/6 each! (£4.97 in today's money), almost a week's wages then!

The HD model got converted to a 73 as per Chris Leigh's (Dibber on here)article in the Constructor in about 1964. Curse you Chris, cost me a fortune!! :nono:

Otherwise, use a Black Beetle motor.

Guest jim s-w

Both were quite accurate models for their time and the Trix ones were better, but the wheelbase a bit too long.

No it wasn't, untill the Hornby 90 was released it was the only ac loco that was right

Hth

Jim

How good a model can be made out of it? I just bought a body from the bay of e and now looking at how to motorise it and detail it. Unfortunatly, I don't have the sort of money to buy a Bacchy 85 just to dismantle it (as much as I'd love to) so what are my other options? Thanks

If Bachmann haven't announced an 81 in a year's time, you can have my spare Triang bodyshell.

10 years ago, it (the bodyshell), some Hornby bogies, a flushglaze kit, and a few bits from A1 models would have made an acceptable model. I'd even say the same for up to 10 months ago, or whenever the Bachmann 85 photos and prototype models appeared. Unfortunately for me, this new contender has made me realise that modern RTR really is too good to fit into my existing collection of hacked about and somewhat battered exhibition fleet, unless I'm prepared to spend alot of time producing these rareties to the standards we now expect. That's why I'd wait for the inevitable and get it on pre-order.

• 2 years later...

I am currently working on some parts for an AL1, right now working on the auxilliary equipment between the bogies. If anyone has nay photos that would help it would be greatly appreciated. All I am working off right now is an old Triang AL1 and a drawing from Flicker.

Archived