Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mk3 coach production

DapolDave

• RMweb Gold

so is no one brave enought to give an opinion of this then?

the public need to know :declare:

I can only comment on the FGW one which I did a few post above.

The TGS matches the previous 2nds and 1sts but the buffet doesnt quite match any of these. The bogies do look a little different though  (slightly less detail on them) but once weathered will be Ok.

One thing that does improve all Dapol Mk3's is to unclip the bogie and carefully paint the brass contacts protrude above the bogies to the body contacts. I have done this to all the FGW HST coaches but yet to do the WSMR and others.

My TGS will be in use this weekend on Banbury at the Erith show should anyone wish to see it.

Edited by roundhouse

so is no one brave enought to give an opinion of this then?

the public need to know :declare:

Overall, nice coach (TGS Eastern BR Blue/Grey). Usual standard Mk3 parts (interior, bogies underframe, light bar ready) and new body tooling and roof tooling. Comes with all the familiar detail parts (disc brakes, fixed knuckle couplings).

The one big thing I don't like is again it comes with a (reasonably light) grey roof, which does not match the Blue/Grey HST book sets, and may be lighter than the original coaches that also had grey roofs. Only the book sets seem prototypically correct - the greys look too light.

With the roof easily removable it's simple to respray black to match the HST sets (and reality), but I can see it could irritate some.

Overall a good addition to the range of available Mk3s, but getting the colour schemes right (or at least consistent across products) does seem an area Dapol need to focus on.

HTH,

Alan

Hi,

Received my Eastern Blue Grey and Swallow TGSs today, here are some pics alongside the full rakes.

post-11575-0-72484500-1454355324_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-06124300-1454358833_thumb.jpg

The Eastern Blue Grey came with the light grey roof, rather than the black that came with the bookset, so this matches the other coaches. The coach number is very small compared to all of the other stock, probably prototypical, but when all the others have larger numbers, it stands out a bit. The seat backs also seem to match the first class colour and not standard class.

post-11575-0-00154000-1454355327_thumb.jpg

post-11575-0-15304800-1454358849_thumb.jpg

The Swallow seems to be spot on for me, apart from missing the swallows in the door windows, but I'm pretty sure these were dropped for this livery after the bookset and the initial release of coaches which had a slightly lighter grey, so in my case it matches the all but 3 of the coaches.

Cheers, Mark.

Edited by Vonzack

• RMweb Premium

Courtesy of C&M Models in Carlisle my blue/grey TGS has arrived:

post-6910-0-91276300-1454543810_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-10518400-1454543815_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-28197900-1454543820_thumb.jpg

post-6910-0-71948700-1454543823.jpg

Not convinced by the Inter-City 125 names, these may yet be redone, the numbering was way too small but as I have renumbered mine anyway this was not a problem but then the camera shows that end info panel - First Open (FO) clearly visible!!!

• Like 1

Seriously, if you're going to change the text branding then you need to do a much better job.  Don't paint over the old one (oh yes, they've blasted some yellowish paint over the capitalised INTERCITY 125 branding that was underneath), just remove the unwanted branding with some IPA!

Who's in charge of quality control eh?

Excellent photo, the GHOST INTERCITY is SHOCKING

That now explains the delay

That is SHOCKING

Equally is it not also the same base colour (ie InterCity script with later light Executive Grey)

I was considering purchasing a third HST in the original InterCity livery, but that has definitely put me off

Yes, it could be corrected

Not convinced by the Inter-City 125 names, these may yet be redone, the numbering was way too small but as I have renumbered mine anyway this was not a problem but then the camera shows that end info panel - First Open (FO) clearly visible!!!

I spotted the AD1H before I even read your text!

Not only is the reference incorrect it is the later data panel type!

What type of panel is applied to the INTERCITY livery?

It is not a disaster as the background paint is black so removing the (incorrect) data panel and replacing it will be very easy

Maybe the two Exec TGS' I have recieved were pre-production samples that have been corrected and put out for sale.  Maybe there was a mistake made with a few of the Exec TGS' during production and I got some and all the others are 100% fine.  Who knows?

What seems to have happened here is a capitlaised INTERCITY 125 has been painted/decaled to an other wise good finish. 

I hope you got a heavy discount if these are indeed pre-production corrected samples

Without seeing current stock I am not sure

The original samples at last years N Gauge Show had the INTERCITY 125

I was advised the production version would be corrected

If it is indeed a completed run which has then been corrected, then they should be described as such

Equally, the lower light grey should be different shades between InterCity125 and INTERCITY, but the difference is not worth worrying about in N Gauge and provided all versions are consistent

I assume Dapol took the short cut and chose the later shade

Equally, the lower light grey should be different shades between InterCity125 and INTERCITY, but the difference is not worth worrying about in N Gauge and provided all versions are consistent

I assume Dapol took the short cut and chose the later shade

My understanding was that Ex Light Grey was used on the lower coach sides on both Inter-City 125 and INTERCITY (Swallow) liveried coaches.  On Swallow liveried versions, it's possible "Falcon Grey" was used instead of Ex Dark Grey on the upper bodysides/rooves.

However locos painted into INTERCITY Swallow livery - (37/43/47) had "Silver White" on the lower bodyside, with the upper bodyside and roof being "Falcon Grey"

The N gauge Dapol versions are very impressive, but it's a shame they got the red/white lining widths wrong - the white line should be narrower than the red - the exact opposite to what's been applied to the models. 

i thought pre-production products never saw the light of day let alone be sold off!  cant believe the problems with these coaches over the years........and to think Lima and Hornby pretty much got the liveries spot on over 30 years ago using older tech. 

the TGS photo above doesn't look so great from one 3/4 angle.  the window surrounds look very pronounced.  I dare say from a side on view that's far less "spottable".

I'm put off by the whole Dapol mk3 thing given there are so many mixed shades going on for easily form matching rakes........ive got one ScotRail set and that's about me done for now until models start coming through with correct branding and shading.  I'm after the ic exec mk3s non HST.