Embellishing Hornby 68' 12 wheel dining car - R4188C

Hi Guys.

Reference the title subject matter.....I could do with some advice and help please.

To start with, I need to be able to get the bogies off, and thats where you come in....do I need to remove the body in order to remove the bogies, as I cant see how to get the bogies off any other way.

This is an urgent request as I am being inundated with requests from my Pines Express passengers for refreshments en route.

Regards......Ed.

The easiest way to pull the bogies is to remove the body and interior to compress the ends of the split pin, but it should be possible without (although it may take some force).

As long as you have reasonably shallow curves you can fill the solebar notches.

Adrian

Ray,emte,Adrian,

thankyou very much for your prompt responses--I will let you know how I get on--my first attempt at getting

the body off the lugs proved unsuccessful but I,ll peresevere.

It will be part of my Pines Express along with Stanier coaches running on my Bournemouth West--Bath line.

It is basically a good model but needs lowering a touch on its bogies and most certainly needs that sole bar infill--Ray--where did you get your Dapol chassis from with the continuous solebar?

thankyou,

Ed Plant

[--Ray--where did you get your Dapol chassis from with the continuous solebar?]

Ed, the chassis came from a supplier of Hornby spare parts in the Burnley area, some two or three years back. I know he wanted to sell the business and retire however I think some of his stock is still available on eBay - '4568marionsgirl'.

You will probably be aware that 'as sold' by Dapol, the dining car came with two chassis (one with 'cut-out' and one without). Maybe something to look out for on eBay?. I don't know whether I mention it in my Blog, but there are subtle differences between the Hornby and Dapol bogies.

I wish I could be more helpful.

Regards

Ray

Guest Belgian

I believe the Restaurant Car was originally made by Airfix and came with an alternative underframe without cutouts in the package. I bought mine from the same Burnley e-bayer. He sold his original spares business to someone else who appeared briefly on e-bay and then apparently ceased trading. I don't know what happened to the stock but the original trader re-emerged with the 'Marion' tag - others are 'Daphne7650' and 'petersspares'.

JE

• 2 years later...

Ed, You might be interested in this entry in my blog:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/880/entry-8527-six-wheel-bogies/

It deals with taking the dining car apart and lowering the ride height to match other vehicles.

Regards

Ray

Ray--------you will be interested to know that I have finally  modified my 68 foot diner exactly as described by your attachment.

That was extremely helpful because without that it would still be in original form.I lowered the coach height by reducing the pivot housing by 1.5 mms--it now marries with the other Stanier stock on my Pines Express.I also filled in the cut away solebar--that makes a big improvement.

Thankyou again for your kind help,

best regards,Ed

Good news Ed

RMweb is great for sharing - what is the next project?

Regards

Ray

Can't wait to see Ed's finished coach Ray.

Ed is a pal of mine, I shall be round to view it next week.....sounds as if this may be a bit of an achievement.

Well done Ed.

Bob.

Ray,

'Fraid I don't have time to blog.

There's 6 page 'how to' in the current issue 86 of Hornby Magazine.

Each table lamp, the overhead lighting, the toilet light, pantry and kitchen lights are all independently controlled. There is a random flickering amber led in the kitchen which operates when the chef is 'frying'.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul

Fantastic!

There's 6 page 'how to' in the current issue 86 of Hornby Magazine.

Each table lamp, the overhead lighting, the toilet light, pantry and kitchen lights are all independently controlled. There is a random flickering amber led in the kitchen which operates when the chef is 'frying'.

Kind regards,

Paul

I lead a sheltered existence and don't keep up with all the literature. (I also have enough to do keeping the trains running without worrying about what the chef is doing.)

Thanks Ray

Thanks Paul

Fantastic!

I lead a sheltered existence and don't keep up with all the literature. (I also have enough to do keeping the trains running without worrying about what the chef is doing.)

Thanks Ray

Ha ha,

Me too. Fortunately the chef is autonomous so does his own thing, but only when the carriage is in motion.

Paul

Ha ha,

Me too. Fortunately the chef is autonomous so does his own thing, but only when the carriage is in motion.

Paul

Looks good, erm.......how about some plates of tomato soup on the tables? That'll really test your driving skills !

• RMweb Premium

Plates, knives and forks are all on the tables, but as yet, no tomato soup.

Paul

No spoons, so the passengers have already had their soup & had their bowls taken away! Easy.

:tomato:

Archived