Narrow Gauge newbie seeking advice please

DamianLMS

Good afternoon all, ive just come across this fantastic site after looking for ideas on google.

Yesterday i returned from a fantastic holiday in borth where i managed to ride on the fabulous Vale of Rheidol and Talyllyn railways. Back home and now full of lots of inspiration im looking to build something based on the two railways mentioned above.

Problem is im finding it hard to understand the gauges and was wondering if anyone could help?

I think what im aiming for is 0-16.5 gauge using oo track is this correct? If u use oo i have a useful secondhand model railway shop near me which is fantastic for sourcing small locos parts etc at cheap prices.

Ive never built kit form locos or carriages before, is there somewhere i could purchase them built? Are they difficult to build etc? Ive seen chassis from lima/Hornby shunters used along with the kits which is extra handy as i have a few already in various states of repair etc.

Any help on this would be great as i feel like im running before i can walk.

Thanks in advance.

Damian

• RMweb Premium

Hi Damian,

Welcome to the forum & welcome to narrow gauge modelling!

Brief (very brief!) explanation of gauges - narrow gauge is anything less than standard, which is 4'8 1/2" in the UK. To use your railways above, the Vale of Rheidol is 1'11 3/4" gauge & the Tal y Llyn is 2'3" gauge, so it would be impossble to run trains from one line on the other. This is of course where modeller's licence comes in to play, it's your railway so you can run what you want!

O-16.5 works out at approx 2'4" gauge, so is fairly close to the Tal y Llyn, but most modellers are happy to use it for anything from 1'11 3/4" up to about 2'6". Although having said that, you can get kits for Irish/IOM trains which are 3'0" prototype to run on 16.5mm track, so it really is up to you.

I wouldn't know about having kits built, there are professional modellers out there who will do it, but it won't be cheap. Building kits is not difficult, why not start with some card kits? They're relatively easy & if you do mess up you've not lost much. Try Alphagrafix, no website but he does advertise in the Modeller.

As far as locos go, if you've got a working chassis, just make a new cab from plasticard (or even card) & put a longer chimney on it.

Have you seen the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association http://www.7mmnga.org.uk/ website? There's plenty of ideas on there, including quite a few suppliers.

And whatever you do, just enjoy it!

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul very much appreciated. Il get scouring the internet for some kits and have a look. I quite like the idea of kits and the challenge although il have to learn to solder.

• RMweb Gold

Hello, as mentioned above most people start with O16.5 to represent any of the 1ft11 1/2inch through to 2ft 6in gauge lines. You can go to finescale standards but it's a lot more effort and you can't then mix stock from different subjects like you want.

Peco do a bodykit for Talyllyn, Wrightlines do Dolgoch both in whitemetal though the chassis for them are brass and will need a little soldering. Mercian have a full etched brass kit for Sir Haydn.

There isn't a current kit for the VofR locos though Dorset Kits are working on one and it will be all etched metal.

As mentioned above the 7mm narrow gauge association is very useful and so is NGRM online which has many of the 'names' in NG modelling as regular contributors.

Have a look at EDM models, NGtrains.com, as well as they hold all sorts of useful stuff for 7mm modelling.

• RMweb Premium

To add to the very helpful advice given above in various posts, could I add a couple more suggestions.

Smallbrook Studio produce a large range of freelance loco body kits in resin that are assembled with adhesive and use the basic Hornby chassis - more recent additions to the range are designed for Bachmann chassis. There are also a number of items of rolling stock designed to fit ready to run (Dapol) wagon chassis. Getting a few of these might be a good place to start. Have a look at http://www.smallbrookstudio.com/page4.php

Another manufacturer producing resin kits is Port Wynnstay Models (Phil Traxson) again some are freelance but others are accurate models of Festiniog prototypes. Have a look at http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Port_Wynnstay/portwynnstay.htm

There is a narrow gauge exhibition next weekend on Sunday 15 July at Telford http://www.ngtrains.com/telfordng.html A lot of the manufacturers mentioned will be there along with representatives of the 7mm NGA ready to sign up new members!

The Association has an active 'Trent Valley' area group based in Derby and our large Ashbourne (Henmore) layout with be at the Midland Railex next month http://www.midlandrailex.co.uk/ We will also be holding a members day in Derby in January - I'll post further details nearer the time on the exhibitions pages.

Hope that helps

Mike

Looking at your location, is Albert Village the one in the Swadlincote/Woodville area?

If it is and you have transport of your own the "Trent Valley" area group of the 7mm Narrow Gauge Association, that Mike Bellamy mentions, meet for a natter and pint at The Brunswick close to Derby Railway Station on the third Thursday of every month 7.30 pm 0nwards.

You would be welcome to come along even if you are not yet a member of the Association. The next meeting is the 19th of July.

This also applies to any one else in the area with 7mm narrow gauge interests too.

Regards Phil T.

• RMweb Gold

I hesitated to reply yesterday as I model 009 and was not sure how helpful I could be. I would definately join the 7mm NG Association, I am in the 009 Society and find it very useful.

Also Chris Ward produces 3D CAD models although not of the prototype you were looking for. The link to his site is http://www.chrisjward.co.uk/products.html

Thank you all for your quick reponses and information. Ive been looking at the links and am very interested in alot of the kits indeed.

Yes i live in the albert village near woodville/swadlincote so The brunswick pub meet seems a must aswell as the meet next week in telford so il have to pop along.

Im going to join up with the clubs aswell as these places can allways be a fantastic place to learn.

Thank you again and il keep you posted with all my goings on :)

Damian

If you get to the Brunswick meeting ask at the bar for Tim Allsopp, he will probably be at the bar anyway before 8o'clock and after that the staff will point you past the bar, along the corridor and you'll see signs for our meeting.

Phil T.

• RMweb Premium

The brunswick pub meet seems a must aswell as the meet next week in telford so il have to pop along.

Sorry I won't be at the pub this month as we are going away for a couple of days to help my wife celebrate getting away from school for 6 weeks!

If you get to the Telford show several from our group will be there, Phil with Port Wynnstay, Tim and Jim taking care of Publications Sales and New Members and I'll be helping Paul Martin on the EDM Models stand.

Mike

not wanting to shamelessly advertise my attempts, but there are some kits I have designed that you can try for free here - all 7mm on OO track

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51869-7mm-narrow-gauge-in-card/

all ffestiniog, I'm afraid, and not the most straightforward, but very free :)

let me know if they are any use!

Archived