Hamley's Railroad Prices.

Coach bogie

My son insisted on visiting Hamley's today and whilst he was wasting his time on non railway floors I had a look at what was available. I appreciate central London has high rents to pay for but....

R4523 Hornby GWR Compo Coach, Hornby RRP £18.99 - Hamley's price £55.00

R4524 Hornby GWR Brake 3rd Coach, Hornby RRP £18.99 - Hamley's price £55.00

R4525 Hornby GWR Diner Coach, Hornby RRP £18.99 - Hamley's price £55.00

I tackled a floor manager about this but a definate lack of interest.

It will come as no surprise they have full shelves available.

Mike Wiltshire

I think we've covered (sort of) this ground before when we examined Hornby's 2012 RRP, but this clear evidence of profiteering obviously transcends that to a degree.

I suspect that they are trading in an environment where price is no object, and the person with the plastic doesn't bat an eyelid over such luxury items that will no doubt be destined for a third party as a gift. I doubt any remotely savvy 'modeller' would trouble their doors if prices like this are Hamley's norm.

• RMweb Premium

I have a simple response to the points made by Mike... Anybody who is willing to pay those ridiculous prices must have more money than sense - or maybe they are just totally ignorant?

Let them get on with it!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I keep an eye on Hamleys in Glasgow because from time to time you can pick up a bargain,whether it be in track or sometimes locomotives. I am convinced that when it comes to pricing the staff just don't have a clue. I'm sure their computer system will tell them what to price article at but then it depends on a member of staff correctly identifying and pricIng the item.anomolies do exist .for instance L/H express points were recently picked at £11 while R/H ones were £16. Bizarre! so the £55 coaches may well just be a mistake!

It's a mistake, but you're right, they don't care. More to the point, other stuff is actually cheaper than RRP and sometimes sale prices beat the box shifters. I bought 'Murdoch' there for £80 (when Hattons price was £74 plus £4 postage) - ok I know they're on sale from Model Railways Direct now, but you can see my point that there is actually very little consistency.

I, too, had a wander around Hamleys last week and noticed the rather high pricing on these three Railroad items, and was going to post something here, but, on the other hand, they had, in the same display, a new matchboarded Pullman for only £30! I am sure it's just a mistake, but. like Andy, I suspect the staff wouldn't be bothered if I had told them.

A friend of mine works/ worked there. I questioned the prices years ago. He told me that as the store is famous worldwide, they rely on tourism. Try buying a burger outside Madam Tussauds ( think thats spelt right ) It costs a fortune.

A friend of mine works/ worked there. I questioned the prices years ago. He told me that as the store is famous worldwide, they rely on tourism. Try buying a burger outside Madam Tussauds ( think thats spelt right ) It costs a fortune.

It has definately changed from a few years ago. Then, it was always list price +10%. Now, it is (as I have posted above) much more random and can therefore be worth a punt. Hamleys was latterly owned by one of the Icelandic banks that went bust and for the past four years has traded courtesy of the owner's administrators. It's apparantely on the verge of being sold to a French consortium.

• RMweb Premium

A few of years ago I briefly had a look in there, and spied the Class 60 040 in Territorial Army livery, at a cool £129.99. Considering how quickly it had sold out and in some cases was being profiteered on Ebay and some shops, it seemed an almost "reasonable" price :no:

Archived