N scale class 165 / 166 Networker Turbos from Shapeways

• RMweb Gold

last week I received in the post a class 165 FGW networker turbo 2 car set from Shapeways http://www.shapeways...hops/bigpmodels

The CAD drawings have been uploaded by BigP for various versions of these units for both FGW and Chiltern units in 3 or 2 car formations.

The 2 car FGW 165 was ordered for running on Banbury once it is done and more will be ordered for the Chiltern units in time.

These bodies are designed to fit straight over the Farish class 168 / 170 chassis.

Out the packaging from Shapeways these 3D prints are bery nicely detailed and come with a separate sprue with the cab front grab rails.. However, as with most 3D printing there are some mould lines but these are on the roof with my pair.

There is some body strengthening on the inside of the body along with some raised lins to take a glazing strip.

With a good soak in some cold water and soap I removed the grease from the bodies. They needed a second wash to remove any remaining grease.

A file was used to remove the moulding lines on the roof last night. The cab roof might need a very small amount of filler after I spray them in primer to high light any remaining mould lines.

One of the bodies had a very slight distortion in it but when popping the body over the chassis this dissappeared.

I will update this topic as I progress with working on the unit.

post-1557-0-66589200-1341906309_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-62478300-1341906370_thumb.jpg

I say , that looks a bit good! Looking at the shop link its nice to see all the roof variations for refurbished units have been taken notice of too, as well as the 165 -166 detail differences - nice!

I wonder has anyone thought of making some 168/0 cabs to convert the turbostar back to a original 'Clubman' unit?

Looking forward to seeing some paint on that :sungum:

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I can't guarantee that my existing vinyls will line up 100% with these bodyshells, as they are designed around the Farish 170.

More than happy to produce a dedicated set for these shells, as they look excellent. Please drop me a mail or PM if interested!

• RMweb Gold

I have cleaned the bodies for a third time last night just to make sure I had removed all the grease from them.

This morning before leaving for work I got a coat of spray primer on them.

It has really brought up the detail very nicely. Now to get some FGW blue and pink!

post-1557-0-48069400-1342107737_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There is a little bit of filling to do to the cab roof that the photos doesnt really show but other than that they are ready for the final colurs to be applied.

Still need to decide how to glaze them but that can wait for now.

That looks the business ! just spotted the cab even has the extra air con box below the step :) Seeing as you have so many similar sized windows - maybe it would pay to have the glazing laser cut - Perhaps send the bodies to Shawplan - you could have the outline of the hopper vents engraved into the glazing that way , to make them easier to paint.

Tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

That could well be a possibility. However the sides around the windows are quite thin so not sure how they could make them fit unles they had a lip.

The correct paint colours have now been ordered from Phoenix prexcision paints.

Evening -

the sides around the windows are quite thin so not sure how they could make them fit unless they had a lip.

I wish I had a picture of my shawplan class 37 glazing before I fitted it - as it has exactly as you describe - the material is cut half depth all the way round the edge of each window - and that forms a lip so the glazing can fit/locate into a thin etched frame , and be that little bit more flush. I see you can also 'print' glazing too , from this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57730-delichons-designs/ - could be used to make the curved windscreens?

tfn

Jon

• RMweb Gold

I am not suras not really studied the EMU's.

I did purchase a class 168 second hand where someone had fitted a pantograpgh to the roof!

Its now been converted back to a 168 As luckily the Chiltern livery had not been altered.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I havent made much progress of late as the enamel paint has reacted with the primer.

The primer dried Ok on the body sides but has gone soft upon applying the first coats of enamal.

So I need to strip the paint off and use a different primer. Hope to do this in the next few days with the intention of having these with me at Silverfox show, although they will not be completed by then.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I havent made much progress of late as the enamel paint has reacted with the primer.

The primer dried Ok on the body sides but has gone soft upon applying the first coats of enamal.

Ian

Hi Ian

That sounds incredibly frustrating - especially as the model looked stunning in primer in the images you posted.

What primer did you use? I have always found Halfords spray primer to be very good; even though I believe it to be an acrylic formulation it's always worked well under enamels for me.

Having said that, it does seem that there is an issue around some of the formulations used in the rapid prototyping processes reacting to paints - I'd be interested in more data.

cheers

Ben A.

Ben - the FUD printing uses a wax which is then cleaned off post printing. It can be problematic if not cleaned off properly as your primer sprays on beautifully and then later falls off. Beyond that I've not had any real problems with acrylic primers. Some of the printing materials *do* react badly to enamels but I've not had any problem with acrylics.

Definitely interesting in a set of these shortly if Adam is doing vinyls for them, as the vinyls will nicely fix hide any of the print roughness that is left over.

323 is a bit different. I see no reason you couldn't do a 3D printed 323 the same way rather than class 170 conversion.

Is the plan to simply reuse the 170 underframe detail ?

• RMweb Gold

I had a go at removing the paint this morning. It now appears that the primer is fine but it was the Humbrol matt white I applied on top of it to cerain areas such as the roof and the doors as an undercoat. The matt white and the FGW magenta on the doors came off with white spirit.

I recoated the doors in just hte magenta and it appears ot have dried OK.

I also applied the blue to one side and that also seems fine.

So the primer is fine and the matt white wasnt!

If all goes well it might be on dispaly on Banburtu at SIlverfox show next weekend but it wont be glazed nor the FGW markings

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Now that the paint is drying, last night I managed to get the blue painted neatly on both coaches. Hoping to get the roof painted and more detail painting of the cab fronts in time for using on Banbury this weekend. The decals and glazing will take a bit longer though.

Work on this has taken a bit of a back seat recently with so many other things to do on other rolling stock.

Regarding the decals and glazing, there are a few otpions being explored and when I hear more I will post the details.

Archived