RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

Thanks Mike,

Had a quick scout round and found these two pictures:

attachicon.gifIMG_1898.JPG

This was a complete fluke as the book just 'fell open' at this page. This close up of a 1937 Gordon Hepburn picture shows a new colour light about to replace a similar somersault at Barkston south. This is therefore part of the same signalling project to reduce the number of mechanical boxes between Barkston and Grantham North (as cost saving exercise) and is the searchlight type (is it not?). Note that it sports the same appendage to the right and below the signal head (a control box of some sort?) as in the picture of the Peascliffe one I wish to replicate. Note also the loose hanging cloth(?) as the cover to blank off the signals until they are commissioned.

attachicon.gifIMG_1899.JPG

This is a close up of a photo from the Pirt book. Frustratingly, he didn't see fit to include 'my' signal of any of his photos of southbound trains exiting the tunnel; however, this view taken in the other direction shows the head of the corresponding signal in the Up direction, which again will have been part of the same (1937) scheme - that's gotta be a searchlight hasn't it?!

Surely therefore, if all these signals were installed as part of the same scheme then they would have been of the same style?(!) Given that my signal needs to covered up (as per the Hepburn picture) then the fine details aren't that critical in any case.

Any further comments/views welcome.

The 'appendage' i suspect is this covered up...

post-4034-0-10990200-1409247933_thumb.jpg

Edit to add.. No this is not a loo seat.

I also suspect the three aspect searchlight in the picture is U107.

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Premium

I don't know what it went for on Ebay but it's one of mine, built 1990 - going to be fun converting it to EM and keeping the valve gear in gauge.

About £360 which is a bargain for such a build IMO. It was named as your build I think Mike and painted by Mr Goddard I think?

I couldn't justify that at Seaton Junction!!!!!!! Not even on a football special, but I might well use my Comet Caprotti on one of those trains just for a laugh one day.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

About £360 which is a bargain for such a build IMO. It was named as your build I think Mike and painted by Mr Goddard I think?

I couldn't justify that at Seaton Junction!!!!!!! Not even on a football special, but I might well use my Comet Caprotti on one of those trains just for a laugh one day.

Phil

Phil

its signed by Larry... Mike's builder plate on the tender has been taken off but there is another one inside. Its very nice ! One day I may get the chance to modify another Black 5 to suit....

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike,

Had a quick scout round and found these two pictures:

attachicon.gifIMG_1898.JPG

This was a complete fluke as the book just 'fell open' at this page. This close up of a 1937 Gordon Hepburn picture shows a new colour light about to replace a similar somersault at Barkston south. This is therefore part of the same signalling project to reduce the number of mechanical boxes between Barkston and Grantham North (as cost saving exercise) and is the searchlight type (is it not?). Note that it sports the same appendage to the right and below the signal head (a control box of some sort?) as in the picture of the Peascliffe one I wish to replicate. Note also the loose hanging cloth(?) as the cover to blank off the signals until they are commissioned.

attachicon.gifIMG_1899.JPG

This is a close up of a photo from the Pirt book. Frustratingly, he didn't see fit to include 'my' signal of any of his photos of southbound trains exiting the tunnel; however, this view taken in the other direction shows the head of the corresponding signal in the Up direction, which again will have been part of the same (1937) scheme - that's gotta be a searchlight hasn't it?!

Surely therefore, if all these signals were installed as part of the same scheme then they would have been of the same style?(!) Given that my signal needs to covered up (as per the Hepburn picture) then the fine details aren't that critical in any case.

Any further comments/views welcome.

Definitely searchlights then, and yes, the object down on the post is the 'D' plate as illustrated by LNERGE - I can vaguely remember those on signals in that vicinity (noted from the train window - I looked at signals as much as for engine numbers in my formative years). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil

It certainly was a bargain - I got paid £370 for it when I built it, and that was unpainted.

• Like 1

There doesn't seem to be a thread on the Grantham Model Railway Exhibition which is this weekend, but those lucky enough to attend will be able to see me (with Thurston, by Ely MRC), Mr Graeme King (with Waterloo Road) and a rumoured appearance by Robert the Devil himself.

Details here.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

the Grantham Model Railway Exhibition which is this weekend

Perhaps it has been kept quiet so that a mad duck and various other comical characters from RMWeb don't turn up and disrupt the event?

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, blimey. Have I time to grow a comedy beard and buy some unrecognisable sunglasses?

No just turn up as you are!!

Would like to have come along but ... last game of my outside cricket season.......so a no go.....

Enjoy yourselves and hope to see you at the end of the month.

Baz

There doesn't seem to be a thread on the Grantham Model Railway Exhibition which is this weekend, but those lucky enough to attend will be able to see me (with Thurston, by Ely MRC), Mr Graeme King (with Waterloo Road) and a rumoured appearance by Robert the Devil himself.

Details here.

Bit late to the party - was stuck without any decent WiFi access yesterday. Yes, hoping to attend myself tomorrow. I've been warned about a possible Thurston press-ganging but I'm actually hoping to 'case the joint' in anticipation of next year... (oops - nearly let the cat out of the bag :superstition: )