RMweb

Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

OK, here's the more interesting stuff, fresh from a further visit to Ormesby last night.

attachicon.gifIMG_3367.JPG

The 'master' at work. Don't dare sneeze, breath or otherwise break his concentration...

attachicon.gifIMG_3373.JPG

Jonathan gets a guided tour.

attachicon.gifIMG_3372.JPG

Yes, we have an impression of the vegetable plots / allotments that still do exist alongside the line where the Nottingham route peels away from the East Coast mainline.

attachicon.gifIMG_3379.JPG

The ever-adaptable good ol' Dapol (nee Airfix) track workers turn their hands to gardening with aplomb. Very nicely painted in subdued colours by Paul's able assistant, Tom (I believe).

attachicon.gifIMG_3382.JPG

Obviously good fertile soil in the Witham basin as prize-winning cabbages, leeks, onions, runner beans (etc) are sprouting magnificently, having only been 'planted' two weeks ago!! Virtually all of these have been made by hand by Paul using techniques like rolled up tissue paper. Wonderful work.

Of course a lot of this is based on supposition - detailed pictures of 1930's allotments are a little hard to come by! But we do know that this was the era of the great depression so 'grow your own' might have made all the difference in terms of being above or below the breadline. Closely followed of course by the 'dig for victory' campaign. So there is likely to have been a serious side to all this. Comments from any who may have some more detailed knowledge welcome.

The sunflowers? Ah - they been planted to be...er...a talking point!

Both my parents were keen gardeners - not that all that much rubbed-off on me!

>.- Wouldn't the sun-flowers have been staked?

>.- Even for prize-winners the leeks do look to be just a little on the large/tall side.

Apologies for these two & small niggles, but, as is said: 'The Devil is in the detail.'.  :-)

Loving the progress Graham, you and the team around you are doing a great job, it already looks so different to what was at Warley in 2014, so I am really looking forward to seeing it again in the flesh, hopefully at Nottingham if I can arrange the time off, if not then certainly at it full début in September

Many thanks for the inspiration and sharing your great layout with everyone here

Brian

• RMweb Gold

Really looking forward to seeing the updated mini Grantham at Nottingham, and even more so, the full thing at Stafford next year. It's been great seeing it on a couple of outings up to now and following along on here. My nephew was fascinated by it last year an Nottingham, and I'm hoping to be able to bring him along again this year to see progress.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with a big leek... particularly after a couple of pints and a long walk home ;)

So, given all the rhapsodies occurring on another thread devoted to the subject, might a J15 be appearing on Grantham anytime soon?

Gavin

I suspect we might see the odd visitor wandering through...it's certainly a nice looking model.

Now if it had been a J6... :maninlove:

I will attempt to post them in the near future and see what you think if thats ok with you.

Please do.

All I'll say is that I've been attacking bits of brass etchings with a soldering iron for over 25 years now and in that time you do pick the odd thing up and become comfortable with your own tricks and techniques. Generally, the more you do the better you become - but I wouldn't like to be sat at a demo table doing it. When you see someone soldering who really knows what they're doing then it is a joy to behold - an art form even.

Hi LNER4479

I have spent the last 2 days reading through your forum thread. Really great work on the layout!!! I envy you having so much space - I am restricted to 2'x8'. I would love to see the layout in the flesh sometime, however I dont think that will happen on this holidays Europe trip. We have to leave for the airport in 15 minutes!

I really envy the amount of rolling stock that you and your little 'gang' are able to put together - 35 A4 class locos in one place must be a world first!!!

Looking forward to doing 5 weeks worth of forum reading when I get back from Europe! :D

Keep up the excellent work,

Peter

• Like 1

Thanks Peter (and thanks for all the 'likes'!)

Glad you you enjoyed the read; I am very lucky to have come into contact with so many like-minded souls - many of whom have been through RMWeb - and it really is something when all their gorgeous stock congregates on the layout.

Enjoy the Europe trip and hope you keep enjoying the thread.

'Robert'

• Like 1

Hi Robert, really great to meet you and your team today at the Nottingham Show and the chance to see Grantham in the flesh, Loved the Terminus operation today, certainly different.

All the best.

• RMweb Premium

Great fun helping out at Nottingham.

For the regular fiddle yard operators.....you must have nerves of steel!

Shame we didn't see any red engines(!)

Hat, coat, gone!!

Baz

• Like 1

Hi Robert, really great to meet you and your team today at the Nottingham Show and the chance to see Grantham in the flesh, Loved the Terminus operation today, certainly different.

All the best.

Thanks Andy. Hoped you enjoyed your visit to Grantham and good to say 'hi' and put a face to the name.

Nice to see other RMWebbers at the show too. And thanks to Barry for his assistance over the weekend and to Graeme (3279) for loan of his ever excellent stock to boost the running fleet, not forgetting various other helpers over the weekend, some planned, some impromptu!

As usual, took my camera. As usual, never even got close to taking any pictures until the very point of dismantlement yesterday evening. So, for what it's worth, here are a couple of pics of us set up in the 'preview' area - both ourselves and Lancaster Green Ayre (in the background of the second pic) will be back next year as full layouts.

post-16151-0-40648700-1427103527_thumb.jpg

post-16151-0-60914800-1427103543_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 19

An entertaining weekend all in all. Nice to have put a face to "Atso" and then to have the benefit of a last minute discussion with a leading modeller on "wholly un-necessary" chassis compensation. In defence of my waggly-wheeled J50, it DID traverse all of those trickily spaced dead frogs without a moment's hesitation and it wasn't my choice to include such a large degree of freedom for vertical movement of the wheels. That's the way the Perseverance frame slots are etched. I dare say that occasionally exercising that extreme range of movement is however actually of some benefit in keeping the the hornblocks sliding freely so that they continue to execute the small movements that they should in normal running. I must get round to clearing all those big screwdrivers off the tracks on my home layout now......

Edited by gr.king

Thanks Andy,

Always a delight when others post pictures of your efforts and to know what catches the eye.

Looks like the shed operator was slacking - the O4 seems to be stuck on the bridge awaiting entrance to the depot, and thus 'stopping the job' at the North End. Words will have to be had! :punish: