Much Murkle - back on the road

nickwood

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another good show. The Tonbridge club looked after the exhibitors very well, providing hot food AND cakes in the afternoon.

The hall we were in was very hot and we were right next to the radiators. We had a few running problems early on, mainly with derailments at the cassette interface. Expansion was probably the cause as things settled down as the day went on.

Over the last three shows I have been making a mental note of the questions and comments that we get

The most asked questions are;

how did you do the grass / poppies? cue discussion on static grass techniques.

What type of couplings do you use and where do you get them?

Are the buildings kits as I haven't seen them before?

Comments and obsevations usually relate to the person picking on some aspect that they know (or think they know) something about. These are often not railway related. I've had many interesting discussions about such things as cider making, Herefordshire, the size of cattle in the 1930's, would sheep be wooly in summer etc etc some of which are informative, many are amusing but only a very few are downright rude :yes:

I love exhibiting

The next exhibition isn't until May when MM will be at the Victory Club show in Portsmouth. I have a couple of small scenic detail changes in mind which I will share when the time comes.

Well the Victory Club show on the 14th May in Portsmouth has come around quickly, too quickly for me really.

I have had no time for any modelling since the Tonbridge show in February due to elderly and frail parent / partner issues which have cummulated in having to attend a funeral next week and try to arrange some care provisions for my 91year old mother who lives 200 miles away from me.

To cap it all none of my regular operating team are available for the Victory Show.

I am determined not to let the Victory Club down by withdrawing from their show so I am appealing for help to operate on the day. If anyone is interested in giving me a hand then please send me a PM asap.

• RMweb Gold

Afraid I can't help.....much as I would love to!

We are undergoing a not dis-similar family health crisis, so I have some understanding of what you are having to cope with. You have my sympathy and good wishes

John

Have a good show Nick, sorry I cant make it, I have made enquiries as half my Family are still in Pompey, (free digs) but I have commitments at home, and I think our Old Band has even Played in the Victory Club many years ago.

Have a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Had a good day at the Victory MRC show today. My call for help was answered by Francis (Coxswain of this parish) who arrived at 9am to have some tuition before opening time after having worked a night shift beforehand :O He then proceeded to tell me he had no experience of operating at exhibitions :O :o I thought this is going to go well :no:  

Francis was a star.  Took to it like a duck to water and between us we managed to keep things moving and the public entertained. So much so Much Murkle was voted Best in Show :locomotive:  

Thank you Francis, I hope you enjoyed the experience and I know who I'm going to call if I get stuck again.

• Like 19

Excellent Nick and a well deserved award. I'm glad things worked out for you.

I'm pleased too you had assistance and from Francis, I had noticed as Coxswain, he has been a visitor to Hintock.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you both.

This exhibition was a bit fraught for me for a number of reasons, lack of time due to some family issues over a prolonged period (JF, you will be aware of these), the lack of my regular operators and a week away with some friends rapidily approaching to prepare for. However it is over now thanks to the help I got from Francis on the day.

I have another small show to attend at Wallingford on the 19th June but fortunately no repairs are needed to Much Murkle or the stock so I can relax on that score. Funnily enough I have more of my team available for Wallingford than I need. :yes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Much Murkle has been sitting forlorn in the garage since June, crated up and waiting for it's next outing. Well that is just over a week away on November 5th when we will be making the short journey to High Wycombe to attend Wycrail.

I had a spare day today, so I uncrated everything and had a play test run. All was well apart from a few cobwebs, inevitable when it lives in the garage. One small problem :no: is that one of the feature trees is losing its foliage (well it is autumn). The tree in question is one that was added only a year or so ago and I used horsehair as the base for the foliage. This was sprayed with artists mount adhesive before applying the flock, a different technique to that I've used in the past. The tree is in the middle of the field, at the front of the layout and is very prominent.  This leaf fall has been happening gradually over the last year and is now at the point where something needs to be done. The horsehair could do with trimming a bit as well I think to improve the look.

I'm at Pendon tomorrow working with Mick Bonwick teaching youngsters the basics of creating a scene, something we've been doing in the school holidays throughout the year. We usually have a quiet spell or two at some point during the day, so I will be using that time to take some scissors to the horsehair and give it a trim and re-foliage it using pva as the adhesive this time.

If anyone is going to Wycrail then please say hello.

It must be fulfilling to pass on your scenic skills to youngsters at Pendon. What a venue.

I managed a revisit there after 30 years since first visit in 1981 and had to be dragged out at 4pm! Had the rare privilege of going inside the glass walls of Madder Valley on a running trial which I will never forget.

Keep up the good work Nick. Much Murkle one of my absolute favourites on here.

Regards Andy R

Hi Nick

I know what it is like to suffer from a few cobwebs out in the shed but luckily for me the largest ones are up near the roof and not on the layout, as for the tree I guess that is one of the hazards of an exhibition layout - bits fall off - at least with mine the leaf fall remains pretty stable, that is as I modeled it.

It's also good to hear about what you are doing at Pendon with the younger generation.

One day I would like to see MM but sadly I think I am just too far north for that to be feasible.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

It must be fulfilling to pass on your scenic skills to youngsters at Pendon. What a venue.

I managed a revisit there after 30 years since first visit in 1981 and had to be dragged out at 4pm! Had the rare privilege of going inside the glass walls of Madder Valley on a running trial which I will never forget.

Keep up the good work Nick. Much Murkle one of my absolute favourites on here.

Regards Andy R

Hi Andy. Yes I really enjoy working with the youngsters, some are quite hard work when they first arrive, probably the parents want them to do it more than they do, but they usually leave with a smile on their face and something good to show their friends.

My first visit was in 1981 also!! Being inside the glass walls of Madder Valley is something I've yet to experience though.

Hi Nick

I know what it is like to suffer from a few cobwebs out in the shed but luckily for me the largest ones are up near the roof and not on the layout, as for the tree I guess that is one of the hazards of an exhibition layout - bits fall off - at least with mine the leaf fall remains pretty stable, that is as I modeled it.

It's also good to hear about what you are doing at Pendon with the younger generation.

One day I would like to see MM but sadly I think I am just too far north for that to be feasible.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

The  furthest north Much Murkle will be travelling next year will be The Great Electric Train Show at Gaydon, Warwickshire but have patience Jim. Much Murkle already has two bookings in 2018 which are in the north; in February it will be at The Festival of British railway Modelling at Doncaster and in October it will be at Wigan Finescale Railway Modellers Show. There could be others in the pipeline so you might just get your opportunity.

• Like 2

Nick

Doncaster is definitely one of the shows I can make as I can get there in an hour or so, I will make plans to visit nearer the time all being well.

I shall be looking forward to that visit immensely.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Nick

Doncaster is definitely one of the shows I can make as I can get there in an hour or so, I will make plans to visit nearer the time all being well.

I shall be looking forward to that visit immensely.

Jim

Jim, when the time comes I'd be happy for you to have a look backstage. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Uncrating and getting Much Murkle ready for Wycrail reminded me that there was a little detail that I have been meaning to add for some time. There is a cart in the goods yard ready to load that has it's shafts raised but I've always thought that there should be a horse nearby waiting to take it out once loaded.

1887634725_Horselesscart001small.jpg.437036c2986c6d78c78afb64fe7b3752.jpg

I thought of a horse being tethered and fed with a nosebag and have searched high and low for one to no avail. So I decided yesterday to try and adapt a spare Langley (I think) horse. The nosebag was crafted out of a small piece of modelling clay and a dab of pva to help it stay in place. Straps and reins were made out of cotton and the tethering ring out of a piece of brass wire.

Tethered to the side of the Goods Shed I introduce Annabel.

145548926_AnnabelTetheredhorse001small.jpg.7d17c1f6bfa70bc5acf26e3497c5144a.jpg

Edited by nickwood
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

A great day at the WycRail show today. The event is very well organised and they really look after the exhibitors, a pleasure to attend.

The day was capped by Much Murkle winning "Best in Show", totally unexpected in the company of such a number of very good layouts. Thanks to my operating team who probably contributed to the day's success much more than they realise.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A great day at the WycRail show today. The event is very well organised and they really look after the exhibitors, a pleasure to attend.

The day was capped by Much Murkle winning "Best in Show", totally unexpected in the company of such a number of very good layouts. Thanks to my operating team who probably contributed to the day's success much more than they realise.

It was in my opinion the best layout there & thanks for the chat, as you said it's nice to see the people on the other end.