New Dapol A4 names coming soon

Seanem44

Ok... So I see a lot of new A4 names in the future. Two of them highly interest me, however I think they have got them wrong in which livery they should have chosen.

2S-008-000 A4 #60019 “BITTERN†BR GREEN LATE LOGO (DOUBLE CHIMNEY)

2S-008-002 A4 #4498 “SIR NIGEL GRESLEY “ LNER BLUE (PRESERVED) DBL CHMNY

My feeling is that the Gresley should probably be in Garter Blue with Early crest, as that's what I saw it in at the NYMR this May, and from what i have seen, is the preserved livery it has been most in recently. Please someone correct me though, as I am sure someone probably knows better what preserved livery it carries.

I figured that Bittern would be a better candidate for LNER blue. Of course these are the rambling of a U.S. Citizen who doesn't knwo half as much as he wishes to about these fine engines.

Personally, I will probably buy Bittern which I saw but did not ride, at NYMR. Although it was in LNER guise, I model the late 50s and early 60s. As much as I would prefer Gresley, it would not fit in and I am too scared right now to carve up a $160 model to try and make it what I want. Oh well.

I do wonder why they are making so many different versions of Dwight D. Eisenhower and not Bittern or Gresley.

Ok... So I see a lot of new A4 names in the future. Two of them highly interest me, however I think they have got them wrong in which livery they should have chosen.

My feeling is that the Gresley should probably be in Garter Blue with Early crest, as that's what I saw it in at the NYMR this May, and from what i have seen, is the preserved livery it has been most in recently. Please someone correct me though, as I am sure someone probably knows better what preserved livery it carries.

I figured that Bittern would be a better candidate for LNER blue. Of course these are the rambling of a U.S. Citizen who doesn't knwo half as much as he wishes to about these fine engines.

Personally, I will probably buy Bittern which I saw but did not ride, at NYMR. Although it was in LNER guise, I model the late 50s and early 60s. As much as I would prefer Gresley, it would not fit in and I am too scared right now to carve up a $160 model to try and make it what I want. Oh well.

I do wonder why they are making so many different versions of Dwight D. Eisenhower and not Bittern or Gresley.

Not all of us are modelling preserved A4s. I'm modelling the Waverley Line in the 1960s where Bittern was an occasional visiter, so Late Crest BR is ideal for me. I have to say though that the garter blue locos look so good I am tempted even though it's not appropriate for my period/location

FYI Gresley as first preserved was in Garter Blue without valances, numbered 4498 and with double chimney. In this form it worked regularly on the main line until 1968 when it retired to the NCB sheds at Philadelphia, County Durham. It was still in this condition in 1975 at S&D150, and returned to the main line in this condition..

This makes it ideal for end-of-steam and banger blue period post lifting-of-ban- and with a very wide geographical spread.

It has also run in BR blue (NOT Garter) with early crest- but Mallard has been modelled by Dapol in these colours for Modellbahn Union, and William Whitelaw is on the list for these colours also..

Bittern ran in BR green for a long time until its boiler ticket expired and it was sent to Wallsend and repainted as Silver Link for static display. It only emerged a couple of years ago, in Garter Blue with two tenders as Dominionj of New Zealand. It is actually THIS YEAR it became Bittern again. The modelled livery gives 1958 to mid seventies at least.

I wondered about the number of Eisenhowers. However this loco is visiting the UK for Mallard 75 next year, arriving about the time the model comes out and staying for a year. Dominion of Canada is also coming to the UK, but will return to Canada in LNER condition reunited with its smokebox-mouinted bell.

I'm not sure if the LNER Green Eisenhower is a misprint for LNER blue- it was NEW in LNER green (with valances) but was called Golden Shuttle and numbered 4496. Only renamed in 1945.

Hope this lot all helps

All the very best

Les

(rather glad Dominion of Canada isn't on the list as I've just renumbered and renamed my Wild Swan as this one....)

• RMweb Gold

Bittern ran in BR green for a long time until its boiler ticket expired and it was sent to Wallsend and repainted as Silver Link for static display. It only emerged a couple of years ago, in Garter Blue with two tenders as Dominionj of New Zealand. It is actually THIS YEAR it became Bittern again. The modelled livery gives 1958 to mid seventies at least.

Just to insert a bit of missing history there, after Bittern's stint as Silver Link, it moved to the Mid Hants Railway in 2001 for overhaul, steaming again in 2007 and painted in BR green (late logo) until it was repainted in LNER blue & re-named as DofNZ at the start of 2011. Whilst in Green it also hauled quite a few mainline charters so Dapol's model will be suitable for those modelling the period 2007-2010 in addition to its steam era service period.

Tom.

That's why I come here. So much knowledge. I did not know DDE was headed your way next year. From what I had heard, it has been kept in so-so condition. Honestly, if you all were willing to clean her up and get her running, I would have no problem with you taking her. I'm more likely to make it to the UK again before I visit Wisconsin.

Maybe I will put one under the scalpel. I would really like a Gresley in a condition which I could run her on my layout, or as I saw her this summer. I have a soft spots for A4, which could be dangerous for my wallet.

Just to insert a bit of missing history there, after Bittern's stint as Silver Link, it moved to the Mid Hants Railway in 2001 for overhaul, steaming again in 2007 and painted in BR green (late logo) until it was repainted in LNER blue & re-named as DofNZ at the start of 2011. Whilst in Green it also hauled quite a few mainline charters so Dapol's model will be suitable for those modelling the period 2007-2010 in addition to its steam era service period.

Tom.

And to also fill in another bit of history, when preserved by Geoff Drury she first ran in Garter Blue without valances (same as Gresley) but with the no;19 in stainless steel on the cabside. She also had a crest with a Bittern on the boiler simillar to 60024 Kingfishers and pulled a few railtours. She then moved to Dinting and languished there untill 1986ish when she moved to ICI Wilton and was cosmetically restored as Silver Link for Mallrd 88. She was then displayed at the NRM, Stephenson Railway Museum before moving to the GCR for a "run and repair" agreement which sadly came to nought.

1996/7 the loco was sold to Tony Marchington to work alongside Scotsman and she was moved to Southall - again sadly this did not happen but Jeremy Hoskins has righted this long overdue mistake and got Bittern back where she belongs.

I'm glad TomE and Ed-farms have filled in the history for Bittern, she was below the radar for a long time (probably because mags were full of Gresley & Union of South Africa plus endless stories of Scotsman and Pendennis Castle. Very many thanks, gents. Much appreciated.

Certainly a model I'll have as Bittern did a couple of days filling in for Kenilworth at Darlington as standing pilot (mags missed that AND missed William Whitelaw a couple of weeks later....). They'd worked onto Tyneside and been "borrowed" by Gateshead to send to Darlington as pilot.

This was before they finally admitted that one A1 wasn't enough to replace two A3s on the Darlington standing pilot (thunderbird in modern paralnce) job as the diseasels weren't getting any more reliable. They finally solved the problem by transferring Saint Mungo to join Kenilworth, though locos wer still borrowed from Gateshead or York if both were out.

Eisenhower is only being cleaned up for/by the NRM, not put back into working order. The restoration of Dominion of Canada will also be cosmetic- they are said to even be leaving the double blastpipe in place beneath the replacement single chimney (singled again to allow the bell to be put back)

All the very best

Les

Too bad we haven't taken better care of Eisenhower over here. In my opinion, there can never be enough working A4s.

Perhaps I will take Whitelaw in Garter blue and rebrand it as Gresley, the way I saw it this past summer. For sentimental reasons.

Does anyone know if Gresley ran as such, and the dates it did? Perhaps I could use it in an early to late crest transition era.

SNG is in BR Express Blue at prsent time.

I just realized I completely have my colors mixed up. Guess this comes form my lack of knowledge.

And this begs another question in that I wonder why Dapol have not decided to release any of the A4s in BR express blue. Personally I like this color.

Mallard for Japan Model Railways in Kamen, Germany as a special edition do you?

Cheers

Dave

Thanks DapolDave. Just took a look and I almost preordered one. It really looks stunning. I made it to the checkout page, but sadly, at 40 euro for shipping, I just don't think it is cost effective for me and I cancelled. I could just about purchase both Bittern and SNG for the price of Mallard.

With that being said, I do hope Dapol will keep the possibility open for a future creation and run of BR Express Blue A4s.

Hi,

I know Heiko, and he's a pretty decent chap with a good grasp of English..mail him and say you want one but he shipping is putting you off.

It may be that his system isn't set up for transatlantic shipping and you have gotten the default charge rather than a true charge.

Nothing to loose and everything to gain from an e-mail. :-)

Cheers

Dave

As a final remark about the Modellbahn Mallard, I will say the express blue looks a little light or "royal" when I compared it to photos I took of Sir Nigel Gresley at this years NYMR Steam Gala. It appears almost as if the model is caught halfway between Garter Blue and BR Express blue. Still looks lovely though. And maybe the gloss on the actual SNL distorted the color. It hust looked a shade deeper blue.

Hi,

I know Heiko, and he's a pretty decent chap with a good grasp of English..mail him and say you want one but he shipping is putting you off.

It may be that his system isn't set up for transatlantic shipping and you have gotten the default charge rather than a true charge.

Nothing to loose and everything to gain from an e-mail. :-)

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave... I will try and do so!

Archived