Enamel or Acrylic?

Jack P

Derp

So, no-one seems to like Acrylic paints which I find odd because

I hate enamel, but the paints i'm searching for dont seem to be available in Acrylic.

thus; 2 questions

Can anyone direct me to - in Acrylic;

S.R. Coach Roof Grey

S.R. Pre War Malachite Green - (dull, preferably)

S.R. Venetian Red

S.R. Freight Wagon Brown

And why enamel/acrylic over acrylic/enamel?

- Jack

While I cannot help with your request for specific shades, I do not think that everyone prefers enamels. I use mostly acrylics myself. I find them easier to work with and less smelly. Modern acrylics cover well and give good finishes, in manny cases comparable to enamels.

However the model railway hobby takes time to adapt and the range is less advanced than in wargaming for example. I suspect that over time, the number of railway specific shades available as enamels will improve.

In the meantime, there are a couple of options. Take some samples that you want to match into a local shop and try to find a colour that matches. Games Workshop have a large range of high quality acrylics in an eye-watering array of colours. Don't be put off by the daft names, you may just find that "Snot green" or "Scorpion green" are a good match for SR Malachite (just examples, I don't know if either of the above is actually a good match).

Enamel fumes give me headaches while acrylics don't. I've never needed to match anything that exactly, and I'm not sure there's much benefit - paint colours on the prototype could differ from batch to batch anyway.

• RMweb Gold

I Use enamel paints all the time - love the smell!!

I have used some of the US acrylics some with good results but some with very poor outcome. I ought to practice more with acrylics though but most stuff I sitll brush and then seal the decasl afterwards with Testors dulcote. As I tend to weather most models the brush stokes tend to disappear in the waethering.

ian

Antics Humbrol Colour Chart.....

http://www.anticsonl....uk/1971_1.html

Annoyingly I have found the Humbrol acrylics to be among the poorer in terms of coverage and quality. Green can normally be relied on to cover well due to the opacity of the pigment but their BR/GWR green required several coats and had a very rough finish.

GW are very good and I have heard others speak highly of Valejo. Tamiya are quite good too but require special thinners whereas most acrylics can be thinned with water.

I probably should've stated that I've tried the humbrol malachite green and it turns out looking like an off LNER green - interestin to not that not everyone likes enamels!

• RMweb Gold

Tamiya are alcohol based, but they are as good as it gets in my opinion.....and you can always drink them if things go a bit wrong (JOKE!!)

Valejo are next on my list to try out. I too hear a lot of good things about them.....

Ah... must make a trip to Modelzone in Holborn as they sell Tamaya paints!

I'm only just starting to paint things and decided to use the Vallejo air paints made for airbrush use,but I brush it on and usually thin it down a bit more.The coverage seems excellent and the array of colours is bewildering really.

The bottles have an eyedropper top and its very easy to measure the number of drops used,handy for mixing to repeat the colour again.

Seems expensive initially but it seems to go a long way and with the eyedropper arrangement there's very little waste.

Allan

Archived