Second gen DMU's need a refurb, much like the real thing!

mp55aec

Hi,

Does anyone agree with me?, the current standard of bachmanns RTR models is on par with any model from mainland Europe, however i really think the 158-159-166-168-170 family need upgrading with better prototrypical lighting and plug and play DCC socket, with the downturn in the market financially this Im sure wouldnt cost a fraction of the cost of new tooling for a new model. the bodyshells and bogies are superb the models just like several of the real trains just need a refurb for a new lease of life :)

Anyone got any suggestions for new liveries on a refurbed model?,being local the new ATW and FGW 158 comes to mind for me.

MP

MP,

Bachmann are upgrading the 158 just as you say.... As for the 170, they have announced no new liveries this year (same as 158 last year) and I'm fairly sure that you could safely say the 170 will be upgraded in next years catalogue...

As to liveries... 158 in Regional, Scotrail and Scotrail Saltire please

Andy...

P.S My first post after being a lurker for a while!!!

MP,

Bachmann are upgrading the 158 just as you say.... As for the 170, they have announced no new liveries this year (same as 158 last year) and I'm fairly sure that you could safely say the 170 will be upgraded in next years catalogue...

As to liveries... 158 in Regional, Scotrail and Scotrail Saltire please

Andy...

P.S My first post after being a lurker for a while!!!

The new catalogue had a Regional and EMT 158 announced. As for Scotrail, I expect you won't see one of them for a while, seeing as there's pleanty of them still kicking around. Saltaire a probable candidate, taking into consideration the 170 that was released last year.

I suspect we won't see a fGW 158 - Simply because of the livery. The whole thing would be rather complex to paint, if you could paint it at all. I suspect the majority would be overlay, rather than paint, as it's not one solid colour.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect we won't see a fGW 158 - Simply because of the livery. The whole thing would be rather complex to paint, if you could paint it at all. I suspect the majority would be overlay, rather than paint, as it's not one solid colour.

I don't know about that, Bachmann did a fair approximation of the FGW scheme on their 166 a few years back, and Dapol recently did an excellent representation of the local lines scheme on their N gauge Class 153. Bachmann's printing seems to improve with every release, so I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Tom.

As much as I agree on the 166 front (And indeed I had forgotten about that model!) I suspect it won't be a top priority on their list, not to mention the dynamic lines are made up of fading/different coloured letters and place names too, rather than a solid line!

the Hornby/lima 156 needs a massive refurb the body isnt to bad maybe not up to the standard of modern models but there are only a few minor issues but the underframe needs replacing with something more detailed

• 2 weeks later...

the 166 was an ok model, Much like Bachmanns 158 it suffers from a "Toy like" appearance in areas (lights, coupling).. 166s arnt really modelled much as IMO theres nothing all that interesting about them and hopefully not starting anything here; were the reason of the end of Loco hauled services as with other types of units (220/221/158 to name some).

Limas/Hornbys 156 is ok in some areas, but main corrections needed are, vestibule areas being too wide, "box" that represents underframe: needs removing and new one built, sadly Hurst models is out of stock of thier kit and have been for a good while now. Another area is lack of working lights and the fact the unit comes without snowploughs as well is another downside of this model. other minor things are the motor which as a good performer as the Lima motor is and the Hornby one, intrude too much on the DMS which has resulted in there being no cab mouldings in either of the cars. Ill hopefully get my write up done soon of the Provincial and Northern Spirit ones im doing!

NL

Unlike the 158/9s, the 166s are pretty limited geographically. They only run out of Paddington and if you want to model that stretch of the GWML then you really need the similar but distinct 165s to go with them. While not the most inspiring of units, the 158s can be seen almost anywhere in the country in a variety of liveries. That alone makes them useful.

I hope that a new 158 from Bachmann leads to a new N gauge version as well. The current (ex-Farish) version is not bad but is definitely starting to look dated whan compared to the 150s or Dapols 153s and 156s.

Archived