New Tender chassis from Lanarkshire Models & Supplies

davefrk

Afternoon all, I'm supposing it's time to announce some new products as they are going to the etchers tomorrow so should be available soon.... If I can sit down and get the instructions done.

All the trial building and testing has been done and proved very successful. The WD 8 wheel tender and loco has been exceptional in it's ability to cope with reversing 40 wagon trains through all sorts of track dis-joints and pointwork, I can't recall one derailment.... At least one that wasn't down to operator error. The Ivatt too has been a good performer but not having a Ivatt loco converted to EM yet it was pushed with a Jinty for the running trials.

The first release is a CSB sprung tender chassis for the Bachmann Ivatt locos, 2mt and 4mt, they both have the same tender frames although the tanks are very different, The chassis are able to be built in EM and P4 and are made to fit the Bachmann loco tenders or a kitbuilt tender where the tank floor is level with the footplate edge. Included are the frame stretchers, full brake gear, levers, cross-shafts and steam cylinder casting, water scoop casting and levers. Also included are etched guard irons for the plastic body.

The WD tender chassis was the first scratchbuilt CSB tender chassis I did, more than ten years ago now and what an improvement it was over the rigid DJH chassis it replaced, the tender seemed to 'glide' quietly over pointwork so it was an obvious choice for my replacement tender chassis program. Included are the full brake gear, levers, cross-shafts and steam cylinder casting, guard irons and the small rear steps on the bufferbeam. Plus a few bits and pieces of detailing for the DJH kit.

The WD chassis is capable of being fitted to a DJH kit, even a built one, some cutting of the DJH frame casting is required but it's quite easy. The chassis has etched lines to show the area to remove and the instructions will guide you through it, see the photos.

Both chassis include all the bits for CSB suspension and Highlevel 2mm mini hornblocks, cause I like them.

Here are some photos

post-10324-0-73702400-1343047004.jpg

post-10324-0-61413100-1343047043_thumb.jpg

And the WD, see the wheel treads, plenty of running done.

post-10324-0-97382400-1343047128_thumb.jpg

post-10324-0-46652000-1343047158_thumb.jpg

And fitted to a DJH kit.

post-10324-0-42454300-1343047209_thumb.jpg

post-10324-0-65071900-1343047239_thumb.jpg

Hopefully these kits will be as well received as the Fowler and Stanier tender chassis.

Now to get back to doing buffers, how's about the correct buffers for a Dub Dee, no-one else does them.

Oh and those pesky vac pipes.

Dave Franks

post-10324-0-73702400-1343047004.jpg

post-10324-0-61413100-1343047043_thumb.jpg

post-10324-0-97382400-1343047128_thumb.jpg

post-10324-0-46652000-1343047158_thumb.jpg

post-10324-0-42454300-1343047209_thumb.jpg

post-10324-0-65071900-1343047239_thumb.jpg

Dave,

What minimum radius have you got the WD tender chassis to go round?

Could you also tell us what side play your tender chassis will allow the wheels, or alternatively what is the overall width of the chassis built to P4 standards?

Gordon A

Bristol

Now to get back to doing buffers, how's about the correct buffers for a Dub Dee, no-one else does them.

Oooooh. They'll do nicely... and them some Class 24/5Oleos(There was at least two types), and Class 40 Self contaned... and ... and...

Here is a Pic of some Dub dees from my buffer pic collection... just as encouragement you understand...

post-508-0-29757900-1343062131_thumb.jpg

Oh and those pesky vac pipes.

I'm glad you said that... :derisive: and don't forget the swan necks...

I mean here's a van that keeps shouting at me, "Vac pipes! Vac pipes!". Just to go with those drilled and sprung LMS buffers.

post-508-0-88743400-1343063275_thumb.jpg

And Rick Sez, "Why didn't you make some etched side frames to go with your Ivatt chassis?"

And before you say it... I know, I know. He's a pedantic bairn!

Porcy :)

"The Ivatt too has been a good performer but not having a Ivatt loco converted to EM yet it was pushed with a Jinty for the running trials."

Could have easily sorted you with the front half of an EM 2MT to pull yer tender about :)

Looks good, Bachmann 2MT tenders aren't the most settled on the rails as they come - a bit skittish. I'm sure springing will give substantial improvement.

Dave,

What minimum radius have you got the WD tender chassis to go round?

Could you also tell us what side play your tender chassis will allow the wheels, or alternatively what is the overall width of the chassis built to P4 standards?

Gordon A

Bristol

Hi Gordon, don't worry I've allowed plenty room for the centre axles to float sideways, in fact the limiting factor may well be the plastic side frames. I like to have washers between the wheels and hornblocks as it gives the adjustment needed if your chosen wheels have a heavy boss protruding on the inside. I've tried P4 wheels on and there is 0.5mm clearance a side to the Bachmann frames before you even have to remove the raised area around the old Bachmann axlehole.

In EM I've tried the chassis round 2'6'' radius and the 0.5mm float on the centre axles is just okay and you can still remove the half etched washer giving 0.7mm a side, surely that's enough or take the washers off the outer axles as well....

Hope that helps,

All the best,

Dave Franks

Oooooh. They'll do nicely... and them some Class 24/5Oleos(There was at least two types), and Class 40 Self contaned... and ... and...

Here is a Pic of some Dub dees from my buffer pic collection... just as encouragement you understand...

I mean here's a van that keeps shouting at me, "Vac pipes! Vac pipes!". Just to go with those drilled and sprung LMS buffers.

And Rick Sez, "Why didn't you make some etched side frames to go with your Ivatt chassis?"

Hi Paul, I used to make my own WD buffers as can just be seen in one of the shots, but people have been asking for loco buffers so I'm looking at it, just like the vac pipes. Too much work on, private commissions you understand.

Thanks for posting the WD pic, it shows the step on the bufferbeam and the guard irons, both of these are included on the etch.

I don't think Rick is pedantic he just likes the sound of his voice.... TFIC

See you all at Blyth, I'll be on Alloa.

All the best,

Dave Franks

"The Ivatt too has been a good performer but not having a Ivatt loco converted to EM yet it was pushed with a Jinty for the running trials."

Could have easily sorted you with the front half of an EM 2MT to pull yer tender about :)

Looks good, Bachmann 2MT tenders aren't the most settled on the rails as they come - a bit skittish. I'm sure springing will give substantial improvement.

Hi Jamie, I was hoping I would have the time to make the coupling rods for the wee Ivatt but the trial builds and testing of the tender chassis took up the time. I did say I would give you one of the trial chassis to try on Culreoch, do you have 3'6' Stanier wheels for it? You're correct in saying the Bachmann Ivatt tenders are a bit skittish, I think Bachmann have made all the axles in line so the tender is sometimes rocking on the centre axle if you just change the wheelsets, a CSB chassis will take care of that.

All the best,

Dave Franks

Hi all, a question on another forum, does the WD chassis fit into the Bachmann WD tender? Yes, the chassis is designed to drop straight into the Bachmann tender, you can use the moulded Bachmann coupling pin, as I have done for the test running or fit a new brass pin in the 2mm hole at the front of the chassis. The chassis can also be fitted to the DJH kit by some simple alterations outlined in the instructions.

Oh, and these chassis are for EM & P4 gauges only, too wide for OO. :nono:

Hope that helps,

Dave Franks.

post-508-0-29757900-1343062131_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul, just to show that I've thought of the rear steps and guard irons and are included on the fret. I noticed the LMS tender number plate, very unusual! The BR5 plate is the norm. The WD buffers were an idea I had for replacement buffers to correct the Bachmann WD, no base but just a push fit into the Bachmann base. The Dowty round buffers on the guards van are also in the range plus the earlier square version as you know.

post-10324-0-12485100-1343380147.jpg

I would love to go through your 'buffer photo collection', not just for the buffers but all the other things one can see.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

]

Hi Paul, just to show that I have been working on vac pipes, here's a pic of the '3rd' master for the swan neck vac pipe as demande... requested by your good self, I hope it meets with your approval, comments welcome as always.

Hopefully that will get you off ma back till EXPO North.

post-10324-0-10573600-1344014994_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Dave Franks

swan neck vac pipe as demande... requested by your good self, I hope it meets with your approval, comments welcome as always.

Hopefully that will get you off ma back till EXPO North.

Dave,

Superb… looking at your pic make me feel like I’ve done half an hour in an orgasmatron.

To my (limited ) knowledge that must be a first for an after market supplier to do the swan neck with the pipe.

Methinks you’ll be on to a winner with them. They look excellent.

But to me being on folks back… never… up their noses maybe… :yes:

All being well, will see you before EM North. Looks like that weekend is turning into a 3 day event for the NE triumvirate. R’s wanting to look at Lancashire random stone walls and viaduct s for a day to provide some layout inspiration, D feels the need to experience the East Lancs Rly’s “Ale trail†and I’m just tagging along to provide the entertainment (and sweets)!

ANd I think Man Utds at home on the Saturday. I wonder if that will impact on getting to and away from the new Venue?

Will do a reply to your earlier post when I get a spare mo.

P

Hi dave, have you thought about doing those wd tender steps as a seperate item?

Hi Robert, yes I have thought of a detailing pack for those not wanting a springy chassis, space, watch, this..... :paint:

Dave Franks.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I've just had a phone call asking when the new tender chassis will be on the website for purchasing. Well, don't blame me, the updated website is all ready to go but, it does not want to upload and I get the message 'cannot connect to host server' I've tried to contact the hosting techies and they all seem to be out at the pub.... nearly 3 days and I've heard nothing back from 'Avanquest's Webeasy help desk'.... Not a happy bunny.

Anyway if you want any of the new items please contact me and we can come to some arrangement.

The new items waiting to go live are three new vac pipes, three new loco buffers:- WD, LNER and LMS/BR Standard, two new CSB tender chassis for Ivatt moguls and the 8 wheel WD tender (for EM or P4 gauge only)

The new vac pipes were released at the EMGS show in Manchester and quickly sold out, new stocks have been made and Parkside Dundas have just taken delivery of some for Scaleforum this weekend.

post-10324-0-49787400-1348764479_thumb.jpg

VP01 upright with high bracket.

post-10324-0-19791500-1348764512_thumb.jpg

Early bufferbeam type.

post-10324-0-05504400-1348764537_thumb.jpg

BR 'swan neck type.

post-10324-0-26800000-1348764717.jpg

LMS/BR Standard buffer.

Hope that wet's your appetites.

Dave Franks.

Hi all, well after six days and not an answer from the 'Webeasy' product help desk but an answer from 'Avanquest' to another email (a snotty one), I've now found out why I could not upload the new products to the LMS website, The website had apparently been moved to a new 'platform'.... Thanks for telling your customers Avanquest.... Had to download a new bunch of registry keys to enable upload to the new place. So, yet again not a happy bunny.

So, the new products have been on the website since midnight and it's working as there was three orders this morning for some of the new vac pipes and loco buffers plus someone has pointed out a missing link to the new WD and Ivatt tender chassis but suggested if you go to the Fowler chassis and click the 'next' button it will take you to the new chassis, we (SWMBO) will sort out the link tonight, she's a darling.

The website will continue at it's present address for the moment but I'm looking at alternatives and will let you all know if it moves.

I'll be checking the website for any other problems today and I hope it will be all sorted by tomorrow, so if anyone finds a problem please let us know.

All the best,

Dave Franks

www.Lanarkshiremodels.com

Archived